Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road between ex Jackie Skellys and Greystones

Options
  • 06-01-2012 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Is the spine road still owned by ZAPI?

The street lights on certain areas have been out all winter - as the new property tax supposedly covers

Quote "These services are essential to your community. They include: fire and emergency services; maintenance and cleaning of streets; planning and development; public parks; street lighting; libraries; open spaces and leisure amenities"

Is it Wicklow Co Co that should now fix these or Zapi - I have counted circa 10 that are out

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Good point. I did notice quite a few were dead. With so many walkers, cyclists and runners using the paths having them on is a must I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The developer still owns it - it hasn't been taken on charge by Wicklow county council

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

What you're describing is the Southern Access Road, OP.

The spine road is the big green that runs up the middle of the Charlesland development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thanks Mike, you saved me from having to post a reply - ah god damn it!:mad:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

There are countless lights gone from said place right down to Shoreline.

There were some on the spine road for a few months also but theses seem to have been replaced now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

What you're describing is the Southern Access Road, OP.

The spine road is the big green that runs up the middle of the Charlesland development.

Yes sorry the Southern access road running from the old Jackie Skellys to Greystones what I meant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I know of the numbers you are referring to, however they are not labelled.

I counted more than 10 lights from Kilcoole roundabout to Charlesland roundabout. I know from my drive to the Dart station that there are also many more down to Shoreline.

Edit: The polls in the estate are labelled so I may be incorrect about the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

From what I know the council have refused to take it over as it means returning a sizable bond to the developer and having to maintain the road itself. You might remember that there was uproar when the gritters avoided the road during the big freeze until lobbying changed the council's attitude.

It's the same story for the damaged barriers on the roundabouts which have been hit over the years by cars. They are now bent and buckled and pose an obstruction to cyclists on the cycle tracks. I noticed that in one location the barrier is broken and sharp edges are exposed waiting for some poor cyclist to fall at the wrong moment and become impaled. Such a hazard would not be accepted on a building site and would attract sanctions!!! They are also redundant as they don't provide the protection intended to pedestrians and cyclists once they have been hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Thanks for the info all, its been really bugging me how many of the street lights are out and have been for so long. Its so dark in the evenings in certain spots and puts me off going out walking alone. I've counted between 18-21 bulbs gone in total from Shoreline up to the Charlesland roundabout / turn in. Its so disappointing that the Council cant help and ZAPI do nothing.

• Advertisement

I found this link on the Wicklow Co Co website to Airtricity and have logged an fault - I realise it might be a bit of a stretch but it should open dialogue with them if they cant fix them and as to why not and then I plan to escalate this to our local TDs with the official response to hand - again not sure what they can do but if you dont ask you dont get.

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/RoadsTransInfrast/Publiclights.aspx

Thank you, we have logged the fault report.
    Your fault report reference number is: 108486[URL="javascript:"]Areas.png[/URL]
    Please make a note of this number as you will need it to check the status of your fault report in the future.

I seen one of those vans looking lost near Tesco 20 minutes ago.

Wonder if they will be fixed today,.

Damo9090 wrote: »
    I seen one of those vans looking lost near Tesco 20 minutes ago.

Wonder if they will be fixed today,.

Not likely

I got a call from Airtricity today and they advised me that the road is not in their system and as a result they can't fix them as they won't get paid and he gave me names of a few heads in Wicklow co co to ring that employ them.

He sounded like a decent bloke not that he could help next stop elected officials and Wicklow co co.

They can shove €100 where the sun dont shine

• Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

Counted the lights not working tonight on the way home. From Shoreline to the roundabout at Eden gate/wood there are 33 lights out either side of the road. And it was dark so I could have missed more!!

Wonder if there is an accident (crash or knock down) at night could the lights not working be a mitigating factor and hence, could the council/zapi be liable?? Im no legal eagle but if its their responsibility, and the lights arent working then surely they would be somewhat at fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Ciaranpm wrote: »
    I got a call from Airtricity today and they advised me that the road is not in their system and as a result they can't fix them
    Either the main road down to the swimming pool is privately owned, or "the system" is about 8 years out of date... presumably the latter.

I found this link on the Wicklow Co Co website to Airtricity and have logged an fault - I realise it might be a bit of a stretch but it should open dialogue with them if they cant fix them and as to why not and then I plan to escalate this to our local TDs with the official response to hand - again not sure what they can do but if you dont ask you dont get.

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/RoadsTransInfrast/Publiclights.aspx

Thank you, we have logged the fault report.
    Your fault report reference number is: 108486[URL="javascript:"]Areas.png[/URL]
    Please make a note of this number as you will need it to check the status of your fault report in the future.

why would you not go to the TDs before the councillors? - the issue is that Wicklow county council hasn't taken the road in charge.

Also what about contacting residents associations in charlesland - surely the charlesland overall residents committee would have a relationship already with zapi?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

recedite wrote: »
    Either the main road down to the swimming pool is privately owned, or "the system" is about 8 years out of date... presumably the latter.

the road is privately owned by the developer of charlesland

Terry Pratchet

noital wrote: »
    Counted the lights not working tonight on the way home. From Shoreline to the roundabout at Eden gate/wood there are 33 lights out either side of the road. And it was dark so I could have missed more!!

Wonder if there is an accident (crash or knock down) at night could the lights not working be a mitigating factor and hence, could the council/zapi be liable?? Im no legal eagle but if its their responsibility, and the lights arent working then surely they would be somewhat at fault?

That's interesting that's more than I thought I am currently drafting an email to Mr Harris to get this sorted it is fine Gael after all who are behind this property tax which as by the admission of the website pays for the streetlights and other public services.

I wonder if any of the ZAPI debts are in Nama? I'm sure they have no funds for this kind activity and given how tight Nama hold onto the purse strings it probably won't be forthcoming from them if they are involved.

why would you not go to the TDs before the councillors? - the issue is that Wicklow county council hasn't taken the road in charge.

Also what about contacting residents associations in charlesland - surely the charlesland overall residents committee would have a relationship already with zapi?[/Quote]

I am going to the TDs first just hope they don't pawn me off to the council....

That's interesting that's more than I thought I am currently drafting an email to Mr Harris to get this sorted it is fine Gael after all who are behind this property tax which as by the admission of the website pays for the streetlights and other public services.

I wonder if any of the ZAPI debts are in Nama? I'm sure they have no funds for this kind activity and given how tight Nama hold onto the purse strings it probably won't be forthcoming from them if they are involved.

Again just pointing out that Councillors would have more power in this area given that they are members of Wicklow County council. To me it makes more sense to contact the councillors first.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The main road from Shorelines pool all the way up to the Eden Gate roundabout? I presume the Farrankelly Rd section onwards is under council control. Wait till the potholes start appearing....

while you're at it, can you request for the traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing beside the swimming pool to be fixed - accident waiting to happen if you ask me as it's two lanes you have to cross right beside a fairly busy roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

You'll be far more likely to get a quicker response from the local Cllrs. than from the T.D.'s. Post up the content of your email to them and I'll hit them with the same tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

noital wrote: »

I am not sure about that, does your car not have working headlights?
    I think if there is a mugging or serious assault there could be a case. Just people feeling unsafe walking down dark paths should be enough to get the bulbs replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Maybe we can toll it for non-charlesland residents :P

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I have contacted a TD too. It would be great to have the lights replace. I'm pretty much planning on spamming anyone who will listen. I will post any feedback I get from them. (If I get any!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

astrofluff wrote: »
    while you're at it, can you request for the traffic lights at the pedestrian crossing beside the swimming pool to be fixed - accident waiting to happen if you ask me as it's two lanes you have to cross right beside a fairly busy roundabout.

Agree, agree, agree! So many cars do not indicate and I've had a few near misses when crossing on the bikes.

audreyp wrote: »
    I have contacted a TD too. It would be great to have the lights replace. I'm pretty much planning on spamming anyone who will listen. I will post any feedback I get from them. (If I get any!!)

I have had five response from local councillors of whom I emailed all promising to look into this. I await developments from each all agreed that it is an issue warranting a resolution in some shape just hope Its sooner rather than later. The deadline for this property tax is looming and If isn't resolved they can bring it on as far as I'm concerned as I am not paying.

Sorry to back track a little, and I hopefuly don't take away from everyone's hard work, but if the SAR from Kilcoole roundabout to the Mill Road roundabout is owned by Zapi, do the Charlesland individual Mgt co.s fees pay into the Overall Resident's fund for the upkeep of the services, utilities, roads, etc? Who is managing the SAR from this perspective? Perhaps the pressure should be towards them also?

If people in Charlesland do pay their management fee and it is partially discharged to the overall management of Charlesland, then the essential mantainance of services (such as street lighting) should be undertaken.

If anyone knows what is happening in the background and doesn't want to post it, please feel free to PM me with the info.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Sorry to back track a little, and I hopefuly don't take away from everyone's hard work, but if the SAR from Kilcoole roundabout to the Mill Road roundabout is owned by Zapi, do the Charlesland individual Mgt co.s fees pay into the Overall Resident's fund for the upkeep of the services, utilities, roads, etc? Who is managing the SAR from this perspective? Perhaps the pressure should be towards them also?

If people in Charlesland do pay their management fee and it is partially discharged to the overall management of Charlesland, then the essential mantainance of services (such as street lighting) should be undertaken.

If anyone knows what is happening in the background and doesn't want to post it, please feel free to PM me with the info.

Yes I think you are correct although I could be totally wrong. That was why I suggested above to contact residence committees in charlesland

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement