Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road between ex Jackie Skellys and Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

As far as I am aware the SAR doesn't fall under the remit of the overall management company but is a separate entity altogether. The overall mgmt fund pays for the lights around the estate which isn't part of park, grove, crescent etc etc as well as the community centre.

The SAR is still "maintained" by Zapi themselves which at this point in time most likely equals NAMA.
    At least until WWCC do what they're supposed to and take over...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, so pressure on WCC to take it in charge would be in order. The road and services cannot be left without essential maintenance. If it's in NAMA then let WCC do their own assessment on what's outstanding (for the road only) and as they have a bond, they can use it to complete these essential repairs.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So, nobody maintains it then. The council won't take on the road until it's completely brought up to spec. and in perfect condition, but the longer they wait, the worse it gets.....

its a great little country we live in

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the agreement between the developer and the council, but I would have thought that there is a contract between the two which specifies the date by which the handover is to happen and the condition of road at that time. I would also assume that the council would hold a deposit in the event the developer is unable to meet its end of the bargain.

Is this not the case?

(sorry if this has already been outlined at some other point).

• Advertisement

dudmis wrote: »
    ... I would also assume that the council would hold a deposit in the event the developer is unable to meet its end of the bargain.

Yeah, there should be a bond. Now wether that's a cash deposit or an insurance policy, I don't know. Maybe someone else can shed some light on that. Anyone any time to look through those council minutes of early last year to see if it mentions what the bond is?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

I've just done a quick scan of the minutes from Jan 2010 to June 2011 for the words Zapi and Southern Access, and neither showed any results.

The minutes from Jul 2011 to date are not available (http://www.wicklow.ie/apps/wicklowbeta/Members/Minutes2011.aspx).

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Has anybody any news on the road side lights and traffic lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

Is there anyone living in Charlesland who has gone to the relevant people/council/committee/management company and found out about who is responsible for whatever. Seems ludicrous that a tenant/owner of a home does not know about these things. Its your biggest investment and it appears to me as an outsider that the small print was never looked at by the purchasers/tenants.
    Asking on Boards.ie doesn't seem to get the correct answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

Is there anyone living in Charlesland who has gone to the relevant people/council/committee/management company and found out about who is responsible for whatever. Seems ludicrous that a tenant/owner of a home does not know about these things. Its your biggest investment and it appears to me as an outsider that the small print was never looked at by the purchasers/tenants.
    Asking on Boards.ie doesn't seem to get the correct answers.

Tennis player ,

I have had some contact with 5 councillors about this all relaying the issues with this privately owned stretch of road.

I am not sure if you are familiar with the set up here it is a stretch if road outside of the estate and as such is not at all to do with individual house units in the estate.

Each councillor empathised but to date no firm action as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

I suggest you write to Wicklow County Council rather than the Councillors.
    A letter to the management company re matters to do with the estate might also get the information required.
    It must be very annoying when you cannot get the information you require about matters relating to the services etc. of your area. But I think if everyone got together you might have these problems remedied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The problem is that the land is still owned by zapi, private property and as such Wicklow coco have no interest.

On the other hand you can't get done for speeding on it because of this so if we all speed on the road and when the Gards pull us over we just tell them it's private properrty and until Wicklow co co take ownership they can give us a ticket.

Maybe that may raise their interest

owned by Zapi, maintenance paid for by who?

blown street lamps, pedestrian crossings not working, speeding cars - receipe for disaster unfortunately. With so many people living in Charlesland the lack of upkeep will not end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

I met with one of the members of Greystones Council last week and heard back (via email) from a couple more. Apparently a snag-list has been sent to Ballymore (the only surviving members of Zapi) and the council are going to ensure that the street lights are on that snag list (as well as the broken barriers, pedestrian lights at Shoreline, etc.) I believe once that work is done Wicklow CC can release the bond (it's in Ballymore's interest to get this done as it's probably in the order of millions) and take ownership of the road. I'm not going to hold my breath on it though.

However, apparently the lighting issue is going to be raised as an issue over safety and security this week which might speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I believe once that work is done Wicklow CC can release the bond (it's in Ballymore's interest to get this done as it's probably in the order of millions) and take ownership of the road. I'm not going to hold my breath on it though.

However, apparently the lighting issue is going to be raised as an issue over safety and security this week which might speed things up.

Why would WCC not just call the bond and do the work itself. That way it can ensure the work is carried out to its programme an its standard without skimping on costs. Snag lists have been given to Zapi before and have come to nothing.

It wasn't just over night that the road deteriorated. It's a bit tongue and cheek of the council to say that the lighting issue will be raised as a safety issue to speed things up. It been an issue for over 12 months and it was always within its power to do something.

The IDA should be asked to put pressure on WCC as it is trying to promote developement of its land yet it can only be accessed through private propoerty that that council continue to avoid taking over.

youknowwho wrote: »
    It wasn't just over night that the road deteriorated. It's a bit tongue and cheek of the council to say that the lighting issue will be raised as a safety issue to speed things up. It been an issue for over 12 months and it was always within its power to do something.

Possibly, or possibly a bit of good old-fashioned electioneering on the part of the councillors in question. ;)

But I did get the impression there's been a lot of noise on this issue of late so fingers crossed that'll speed the process up.

On the other hand you can't get done for speeding on it because of this so if we all speed on the road and when the Gards pull us over we just tell them it's private properrty and until Wicklow co co take ownership they can give us a ticket.

Is that why I haven't seen any speed-traps in months?

I know the developers set the 50km/h limit as they designated it a "town centre". What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I know the developers set the 50km/h limit as they designated it a "town centre". What a joke.

I learned the hard way that this is not the case. In matters of Rules of the Road they apply everywhere including private estates...

a gard cannot set up a speed trap on private property. you can however be done for dangerous driving but it wouldn't hold up in court.

they cannot prosicute for speading as the local council doent have ownership of the land, this means the council haven't set the speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

a gard cannot set up a speed trap on private property. you can however be done for dangerous driving but it wouldn't hold up in court.

If what you say above is correct, where does that leave your car insurance liability ? I don't think you are correct in this.

• Advertisement

you can have a car crash on private property. ie a car park which would have no legal speed limits set.

i know one or two people who've had tickets overturned on the link road because its private property.

you can have a car crash on private property. ie a car park which would have no legal speed limits set.

i know one or two people who've had tickets overturned on the link road because its private property.
    in saying that though i still wouldn't be willing to risk it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

They've been there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

I have a letter from the Sergeant in charge in Bray stating that when it comes to rules of the road private estates are included. This was held up in court to my annoyance ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I think it depends on whether the "private road" is open to the public or not.
    It might be different for a "gated community".

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Politics 101: Never miss an opportunity to take all the credit for something in spite of all the work done and pressure applied by numerous councillors and residents.
    For future work: learn to count (it's not quite 47 lights yet).

Good news though!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ciaranpm

Politics 101: Never miss an opportunity to take all the credit for something in spite of all the work done and pressure applied by numerous councillors and residents.
    For future work: learn to count (it's not quite 47 lights yet).

Good news though!

Good news alright it remains to be seen how long it takes to get sorted. When all the works are done will the co co take the road in charge? next time a bulb goes in a street light will it take as long again?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Great news. Having a few local TDs should really help with these issues. Sure isn't all politics local.

It's not like it was too much to expect, not like some of the carry on that has gone on down the country.

• Advertisement

Ciaranpm wrote: »
    Good news alright it remains to be seen how long it takes to get sorted. When all the works are done will the co co take the road in charge? next time a bulb goes in a street light will it take as long again?

Apparently the snag list has been sent by Wicklow CC to Zapi. Zapi have up to 6 weeks (starting last week I think) to respond saying how they'll proceed, but it should be quicker. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement