Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rotator cuff/shoulder strengthening

Options
  • 06-01-2012 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hey! any of ye's could suggest any exercise to strengthen my shoulder?
    i often hear a popping sound when i do a lateral raise so i think its something to do with my rotator cuff. i don't hear anything (sometimes but only a little) when doing front raise. just need something to strengthen it without damaging my shoulder cos i know it doesn't heal well when injured.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Rotator cuff injuries are well sore. This is probably something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xianie

well i know its not an injury cos its not sore at all! just want to know some alternative exercise for my shoulder cos i dont wanna damage it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

You'd need more advice than I can offer. Bump the thread again t'morrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

OP, go to a physio. Sounds as if your supraspinatus could be getting caught during movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

As someone who has had lots of shoulder problems myself(labral tear, anterior impingement, varying instability problems) and also someone who works out a lot, I would advise against lateral raises altogether. Anatomically speaking a repeated loaded movement like it can only lead to problems. I went to a renowned shoulder surgeon about a year ago in the santry sports clinic and he advised me on this. You can hit the same muscle group (the middle deltoid) with exercises like the upright row and the shoulder press/military press anyway.
    This exercise by strength and conditioning guru Charles poloquin I found quite good
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IE#/watch?v=uQS-tXL1CLg
    I do this exercise like shown in the video but I prefer it when the pulley is set about a foot higher than me but you are still drawing the rope to your face in a downward fashion, incorporating the lower trapezius muscle more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

The shoulder is blindingly complicated. Trying to guess what's causing any specific issue over the internet is impossible. Well it's possible, but it probably won't be accurate!! :)

Chief issues when it comes to shoulder health for me?
    -scapular stability
    -avoid exercises w/ internal rotation (bench dips, front raises, lateral raise)
    -do some rotator cuff work
    -if it hurts, don't do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Hanley wrote: »
    The shoulder is blindingly complicated. Trying to guess what's causing any specific issue over the internet is impossible. Well it's possible, but it probably won't be accurate!! :)

Chief issues when it comes to shoulder health for me?
    -scapular stability
    -avoid exercises w/ internal rotation (bench dips, front raises, lateral raise)
    -do some rotator cuff work
    -if it hurts, don't do it

Thats the main one, scapula controls how the shoulder sits in the socket. Rotator cuff work without sorting this is generally just a temporary measure.

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Thats the main one, scapula controls how the shoulder sits in the socket. Rotator cuff work without sorting this is generally just a temporary measure.

Yup when you consider the actual function, origins and insertions of the rotator cuff muscles you realise how mad prioritizing it over scapular stability and control is - like firing a cannon out of a canoe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Yup when you consider the actual function, origins and insertions of the rotator cuff muscles you realise how mad prioritizing it over scapular stability and control is - like firing a cannon out of a canoe :)

I dislocated my shoulder twice. Could a failure to address any scapular stability issues be a contributing factor? What sort of exercises would have been used to enhance scapular stability? If scapular stability was an issue I'd like to know if I overlooked it.

I ask this question because I've been out of gaelic football for nearly two years and am intending on going back.

I'll try to remember the rehab programme I had at the time. It was very monotonous and loads of small weights to strengthen the all the various rotator cuff muscles. It started with theraband and graduated up to using the cable crossover and weights. There was lots of range of movement stuff the first time around too.

I dislocated my shoulder twice. Could a failure to address any scapular stability issues be a contributing factor? What sort of exercises would have been used to enhance scapular stability? If scapular stability was an issue I'd like to know if I overlooked it.

I ask this question because I've been out of gaelic football for nearly two years and am intending on going back.

I'll try to remember the rehab programme I had at the time. It was very monotonous and loads of small weights to strengthen the all the various rotator cuff muscles. It started with theraband and graduated up to using the cable crossover and weights. There was lots of range of movement stuff the first time around too.

I'm sorry, but I can't answer that. Scapular stability work certainly wouldn't have hurt, but some people are just unlucky when it comes to having bad shoulders.

I've dislocated/subluxated my right 15x and had it op'd on, subluxed my left 2x. Started doing scapular stability stuff for my left a year ago, and while it's still dodge and will need to be op'd on, the scapular stuff is keeping it together for now. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I tore my right rotator cuff well over a year ago. And from doing all the stuff people tell you online to do for rehab the only thing that's worth doing is going to a physio and doing what they tell you. Of course some info online about rehab is helpful, but you may need some tissue work, or it may have increased inflammation that needs specific treatment.

My injury appears to be heightened as I've very tight pec muscles (I've a desk job and poor posture followed me through my teens).

Dathai wrote: »
    I tore my right rotator cuff well over a year ago. And from doing all the stuff people tell you online to do for rehab the only thing that's worth doing is going to a physio and doing what they tell you. Of course some info online about rehab is helpful, but you may need some tissue work, or it may have increased inflammation that needs specific treatment.

My injury appears to be heightened as I've very tight pec muscles (I've a desk job and poor posture followed me through my teens).

Agree the physio is the best place to go. With tight pec minor and poor posture i would be extremely surprised if you do not have a good deal of scapulae dysfunction. Sound very typical of upper cross syndrome. Again the scapula are the daddy of the shoulder joint, they control where it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

You're pretty much spot on there. It's just one of those things that comes with being a waster for so many years and then combined with a desk job.

It actually tore a small bit during training well over a year ago (perhaps two at this stage), healed a little, then got worse as I ignored it.

Desk jobs are the devil for Posture!

I'm sorry, but I can't answer that. Scapular stability work certainly wouldn't have hurt, but some people are just unlucky when it comes to having bad shoulders.

I've dislocated/subluxated my right 15x and had it op'd on, subluxed my left 2x. Started doing scapular stability stuff for my left a year ago, and while it's still dodge and will need to be op'd on, the scapular stuff is keeping it together for now. I think.

Fair enough. Could you give me a few exercises that promote and enhance scapular stability? I may be already doing them in some capacity or other but I've never intentionally worked on scapular stability. Thanks in advance.

Fair enough. Could you give me a few exercises that promote and enhance scapular stability? I may be already doing them in some capacity or other but I've never intentionally worked on scapular stability. Thanks in advance.

Y,T,W,L shoulder circuit, Scap pushups/pull ups, dumbbell/cable scap protraction/retraction, band pull aparts, vertical, horizontal, behind the neck to name a few. Wall slides and hand switches /walkovers over a step i like.

Y,T,W,L shoulder circuit, Scap pushups/pull ups, dumbbell/cable scap protraction/retraction, band pull aparts, vertical, horizontal, behind the neck to name a few. Wall slides and hand switches /walkovers over a step i like.

Great post, as usual!!

Great post, as usual!!

Agreed. Some good stuff in there. Thanks lads.

Though walk over a step?? Not familiar with that.

Its more serratus anterior than scap but, i always cue shoulder blades down and back and i think it does the job. Probably do all the others before this one actually!
    Can do the same motion with a band around the hands, hands moving up and down the wall.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UR0cIKpBpU

Lambasted wrote: »
    As someone who has had lots of shoulder problems myself(labral tear, anterior impingement, varying instability problems) and also someone who works out a lot, I would advise against lateral raises altogether. Anatomically speaking a repeated loaded movement like it can only lead to problems. I went to a renowned shoulder surgeon about a year ago in the santry sports clinic and he advised me on this. You can hit the same muscle group (the middle deltoid) with exercises like the upright row and the shoulder press/military press anyway.
    This exercise by strength and conditioning guru Charles poloquin I found quite good
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=IE#/watch?v=uQS-tXL1CLg
    I do this exercise like shown in the video but I prefer it when the pulley is set about a foot higher than me but you are still drawing the rope to your face in a downward fashion, incorporating the lower trapezius muscle more.

it wont give me the video cos the url is in mobile format :(

• Advertisement

thanks! would defo do that before i get back to college cos im plannin on gettin a gym membership. thought id stabilise my shoulder first before doing anything major just to secure it and prevent any injury like.

btw theres like a bump on both of my ac joint (left is bigger where i often here the pop) but ive never had any traumas and theyve been here for as long as i can remember. would this be like some sort of clavicle growth or ac dislocation? its not painful at all like.

xianie wrote: »
    btw theres like a bump on both of my ac joint (left is bigger where i often here the pop) but ive never had any traumas and theyve been here for as long as i can remember. would this be like some sort of clavicle growth or ac dislocation? its not painful at all like.

No idea to be honest!

Advertisement