Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in the house

• 06-01-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is the right forum for my request. Move as you please but let me know where to. And please don't tell me about emotional advice about the needs of mice and such like...

Anyway, I have mice in the house, no cat anymore to catch them, only a dog sniffing and traipsing around and driving me mad without actually driving mice out.

I hate the usual mouse traps, not for humane reasons, just because it's disgusting to find dead bloody mice and to dispose of them.

So I bought a live trap and an electrical device which is supposed to fight off mice through electromagnetic and sonic stuff.

Didn't work. There are still mice in the house, I cought so far 4 mice in as many days with the live trap. Not to mention that I tried to fix any potential opening to the house.

Is there any useful advice how to get rid of mice without causing a bloodbath or burn the house down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

i had same problem as you last year tried all the gadgets with no luck so then in october before the cold set in we decided to get a cat and he is the best thing we ever bought into the house we havent even seen or heard of a mouse since happy days:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The electronic/sonic traps don't work. Humane traps are just exporting the problem somewhere else, unfortunately. Plus, you've to release the mice at least a mile away from your house or they'll just find their way back.

Unfortunately, snap traps, as unpleasant as they are, are really the only effective way of dealing with mice. Buy at least twice as many as you think you need and concentrate them around the ingress/egress points and any identifiable "runs". Buy decent quality ones with a good strong spring - there's nothing more distressing than having to finish off a mouse who's been caught in a trap but not killed outright. Nobody wants to cause any undue suffering.

I wouldn't use any of the professional pest-control companies. They use poison bait which the mice bring back to their nests and anyone who has ever had to smell a dead mouse will tell you that you really do not want to risk a mouse (or several mice) dying in a cavity wall or other unreachable spot and slowly decomposing there because you can't dispose of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Honey-ec wrote: »
    The electronic/sonic traps don't work. Humane traps are just exporting the problem somewhere else, unfortunately. Plus, you've to release the mice at least a mile away from your house or they'll just find their way back.

Unfortunately, snap traps, as unpleasant as they are, are really the only effective way of dealing with mice. Buy at least twice as many as you think you need and concentrate them around the ingress/egress points and any identifiable "runs". Buy decent quality ones with a good strong spring - there's nothing more distressing than having to finish off a mouse who's been caught in a trap but not killed outright. Nobody wants to cause any undue suffering.

I wouldn't use any of the professional pest-control companies. They use poison bait which the mice bring back to their nests and anyone who has ever had to smell a dead mouse will tell you that you really do not want to risk a mouse (or several mice) dying in a cavity wall or other unreachable spot and slowly decomposing there because you can't dispose of it.

I agree with you - snap traps indoors and poison outside. I worked in the pest control business years ago and went to a house where there was an infestation under the floorboards and they had put poison down. The mice were dead , but the smell was rancid. The house owners wondered what the smell was!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

i feel your pain - my sister and i once lived surrounded by grain fields and once the cold weather started the troops marched in.......the answer is
    1. find their entrance (no point in laying trays until you find out how they are getting in) gaps under windowsills are a weak point
    2. freshly cooked rashor rinds on the traps (put near appliances, they are generally behind them for the heat of the motor)...the smell drives them like a magnet - go shopping and, hopefully, you will be free!.....i know that scratching sound only too well!!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Thanks all!
    I go and buy these deadly traps now. I'm tired of these critters :mad:
    The only thing I hate about it, is to remove the traps with the dead bodies. It's so disgusting!

I'm still puzzled how they get in. I closed all gaps I can think of with filler. In one case the mouse ate through it. Took her some days, but succeeded at last.

I would love to have a cat again, but my dog hates cats. It would be mayhem in and around the house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

instead of using filler, try wirewool on gaps as they can't chew through that. Just make sure you secure it properly as I've heard of them pushing/nudging it out of the way to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

Carry wrote: »
    Thanks all!
    I go and buy these deadly traps now. I'm tired of these critters :mad:
    The only thing I hate about it, is to remove the traps with the dead bodies. It's so disgusting!

I'm still puzzled how they get in. I closed all gaps I can think of with filler. In one case the mouse ate through it. Took her some days, but succeeded at last.

I would love to have a cat again, but my dog hates cats. It would be mayhem in and around the house.

i know that feeling too, get a shovel and have a bag handy - into the bag and seal - and look as little as you can......yes, sad but true........it works!:o

i can loan you a mouse catcher if need be......but rashor rinds? freshly cooked mind!...no competition :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Some of the sonic devices do work. they will not rid your house of mice if they have already made it their home. the devices will stop new mice entering the home.

In a previous dwelling i lived in,i caught 13 of them over a period of 3 weeks! i couldnt believe it,i bought a couple of devices and never had a mouse problem after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

A few mouse traps is the best way i think, try those milky way chocolate stars on the trap, the cheese didn't work for me. I found i caught a good few of the little tear aways and now i'm mouse free.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 player101

make sure you also find the source, it is more than likely that they have nested in an attic or under pressing etc, try figure out if this has happened if so, place traps around this area otherwise they will continue to breed and you will only get the ones big enough and bold enough to travel in your vacinity

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Ferret Bedding!! And before you ask, yes it really does work. I have several friends and family members who've come by to get some bedding that my two ferrets slept on. If you put it down where the mice come out, they'll scarper. All small rodents seem to know the smell of a ferret means danger and will scarper. My cousin had mice in the attic only just before christmas, came up to take a few handfuls of bedding, popped it up in the attic and the house is now cleared. If you know any petshops that have ferrets or anyone with pet/hunting ferrets, I highly reccomend getting some.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Is it true that rats and mice won't live together or what distances are there .?? Somebody said somewhere that Rats have a function in the chain in nature ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

paddyandy wrote: »
    Is it true that rats and mice won't live together or what distances are there .??

Not true, according to the Rentokil guy who used to service our old office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

+1 for the timber mouse trap with a bit on peanut butter on it. When you catch a mouse on it, dump mouse & trap out. Buy plenty. Use the fire thongs to pick them up what I do.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Do Rats and Mice have a useful function at all .I've heard Rats are part of a chain of clearing up and processing ........heard it years ago somewhere .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We had a stray critter wander in last winter.

Bought one of those pre-baited traps, caught the little bar steward and got some of those sonic alarms.

Not a squeak since!

The sonic alarms as previously stated will only work once the mice have gone. If you still have them, then you need to take steps to get rid of them first.

Again thanks for the input.

I bought sophisticated death traps which are definitely deathly and with inbuild bait, so they said in the shop. Though "my mice" always went for simple spaghetti (as in my larder :mad:).

My local hardware shop, who sold me the sonic/electrical devices, insisted that I'm the first customer to complain about their non-functioning.

Tonight I'm going to set all the death traps around the house, being the big mouse-terminator :cool:

Tomorrow morning, before I even can open my eyes properly (before coffee), I'll go around with a plastic bag and the fire thong to pick the dismembered bodies up. 'shudder'

I'm dreading it... but needs must...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Again thanks for the input.

I bought sophisticated death traps which are definitely deathly and with inbuild bait, so they said in the shop. Though "my mice" always went for simple spaghetti (as in my larder :mad:).

My local hardware shop, who sold me the sonic/electrical devices, insisted that I'm the first customer to complain about their non-functioning.

Tonight I'm going to set all the death traps around the house, being the big mouse-terminator :cool:

Tomorrow morning, before I even can open my eyes properly (before coffee), I'll go around with a plastic bag and the fire thong to pick the dismembered bodies up. 'shudder'

I'm dreading it... but needs must...

Let us know the death toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭yobr

I find chocolate works very well in traps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

heard some scratchings before christmas .... purchased an ultrasonic thingy ...nothing to be heard anymore.

As was mentioned ...it doesn't kill them but removes them from your property - so...its not my problem anymore.

• Advertisement

rsole1 wrote: »
    Let us know the death toll.

Three traps, two dead mice - so far, and no other in sight.

The ready baited plastic traps are great. You only see the tail sticking out. Easy to set and to remove. Not as disgusting as the regular death traps.
    If I see any more droppings around the house I'll buy loads of these traps and kill them all.

Threw the live trap out. Pointless. These critters seem to make fun of me, sneeking in again and expecting to be fed with my pasta and chocolates and being set free...:mad:
    Though they look quite cute, sitting in the live trap and begging for their lives... No, I'm not going there...

Still have the ultrasonic thingy running. Hope it works eventually, as some posters said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Three traps, two dead mice - so far, and no other in sight.

The ready baited plastic traps are great. You only see the tail sticking out. Easy to set and to remove. Not as disgusting as the regular death traps.
    If I see any more droppings around the house I'll buy loads of these traps and kill them all.

Threw the live trap out. Pointless. These critters seem to make fun of me, sneeking in again and expecting to be fed with my pasta and chocolates and being set free...:mad:
    Though they look quite cute, sitting in the live trap and begging for their lives... No, I'm not going there...

Still have the ultrasonic thingy running. Hope it works eventually, as some posters said.
    3 traps and 2 dead......... that tells me you havent anywhere near enough traps...... I had 7/8/9 traps on the go. put more out for your piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

I have the exact same problem here, I have had alternatively mice and rats in the house since october and it's driving me mental. I have 2 dogs who aren't cat friendly so it's out of the question. Called rentokil yesterday and they ask for 330 euro for 2 visits. Not a chance.

My fear is that I've put down poison as someone suggested that they will go outside looking for water, and so far I didn't get any smell at all, so it must be true but I don't want to take chances anymore so I'm off to woodies to get some old fashioned traps.

most curious thing is that last night I came home from work and found a dead little mouse in the bag of my dogs rawhide chews, when I threw him outside I noticed he had a big wound right under one of his eyes, which seems the cause of death (csi mice.... i know) which tell me I definitely have a rat at the moment.

I have NO idea where they're coming in from, everything seems to be sealed/closed, I'm at my wits end.

I am also thinking of buying a jml pest shield (the stuff you plug in) but I've heard some mixed opinions about it, although Im willing to try ANYTHING at this stage.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭gerarda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have NO idea where they're coming in from, everything seems to be sealed/closed, I'm at my wits end.
    Are you in a terraced house by any chance? If so they can get in through your neighbour's house and get in to yours under the floorboards.

I'm going to dissent against the cat recommendations and say that what's needed is a good terrier. Mine let me know the second a mouse is anywhere near the house, and won't rest until it's gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

kylith wrote: »
    Are you in a terraced house by any chance? If so they can get in through your neighbour's house and get in to yours under the floorboards.

I'm going to dissent against the cat recommendations and say that what's needed is a good terrier. Mine let me know the second a mouse is anywhere near the house, and won't rest until it's gone again.

no its a detached old cottage, and I have a staffie ahah I thought she was going to be fab at catching them but she's hopeless!!! one night I came home from work, turned the light on and saw a mouse scooting on the kitchen counter, dogs were right there and totally oblivious......

I hear them in the attic, rentokil reckons thats where they are coming from. I hope to find some decent traps on Monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

no its a detached old cottage, and I have a staffie ahah I thought she was going to be fab at catching them but she's hopeless!!! one night I came home from work, turned the light on and saw a mouse scooting on the kitchen counter, dogs were right there and totally oblivious......

I hear them in the attic, rentokil reckons thats where they are coming from. I hope to find some decent traps on Monday!
    Try borrow a JRT or a Cairn for a couple of days; they'll show your staffie how to do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Second the JRT suggestion, wee bastards won't stop once they get an idea in their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭emmetmurphy

Just put Daniel O Donnell on repeat.... problem solved:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

kylith wrote: »
    Try borrow a JRT or a Cairn for a couple of days; they'll show your staffie how to do it :D

My cairn spooked at a mouse running out from under a bale one day, must be whatever the other dog in his mix is coming through! :rolleyes:

Advertisement