Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice in the house

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I can head noises up in the attic, they sound pretty loud for mice but I've been told they sound bigger than they are.

It could be a rat of course, if it is and I go up there is it possible to get bitten or are they more likely to run away. Just wondering if I need the hurley with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Bubonic wrote: »
    I can head noises up in the attic, they sound pretty loud for mice but I've been told they sound bigger than they are.

It could be a rat of course, if it is and I go up there is it possible to get bitten or are they more likely to run away. Just wondering if I need the hurley with me.

Did you see "The Exorcist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

Kaner2004 wrote: »
    Did you see "The Exorcist"?

Yes, but I doubt if the power of christ will compel them out of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Kaner2004

Bubonic wrote: »
    Yes, but I doubt if the power of christ will compel them out of the house.

It all started with noises in the attic that they thought were mice. Turned out to be the puke monster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

Hi Carry i feel for you cos this happened in our last house. It was a country cottage surrounded by fields. and a mouse came to stay! i hate them with a passion and i ended up not sleeping for weeks. Stupidly at first i thought oh lets be humane and i put down humane traps. These did not work. then i put down normal traps and the sticky paper stuff. again this did not work the mouse was far too clever. I have a young child and i was really really stressed. Next i borrowed a friends cat still no use. so the husband then said enoughs enough and put posion down in the attic (cat was gone), and near where he had been seen. He suddenly was gone a day later. I was dreading the smell but luckily my husband found his remains in a corner of the attic. we really tried the humane way but in enmd posion was all we could use. and it worked very quickly. If traps are working for you great, just put down more cos there might be more than you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Hi Carry i feel for you cos this happened in our last house. It was a country cottage surrounded by fields. and a mouse came to stay! i hate them with a passion and i ended up not sleeping for weeks. Stupidly at first i thought oh lets be humane and i put down humane traps. These did not work. then i put down normal traps and the sticky paper stuff. again this did not work the mouse was far too clever. I have a young child and i was really really stressed. Next i borrowed a friends cat still no use. so the husband then said enoughs enough and put posion down in the attic (cat was gone), and near where he had been seen. He suddenly was gone a day later. I was dreading the smell but luckily my husband found his remains in a corner of the attic. we really tried the humane way but in enmd posion was all we could use. and it worked very quickly. If traps are working for you great, just put down more cos there might be more than you think

It's best not to put poison down indoors if possible as if there are a lot of mice then the smell will be worse than the initial problem. If it's a rat the smell is obviously twenty times worse. Snap back traps work best baited with peanut butter, chocolate etc, place them along walls as rodents tend to follow walls, skirting boards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

honestly i bought a pack of three of those pest free zones in woodies, the electrical ones, did not have a single mouse since. 25 quid for peace of mind is a bargain, i have one in the kitchen, one in the sitting room and one in one of the bedrooms (just under the attic). no need for exorcisms!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taraspink

have mice under my floor boards upstairs, have caught one but none of the rest have come out because of my cat, havent seen any droppings or food eaten downstairs, how else can i get rid of them and how do i know thats the only place they are. will traps be enough to set. caught one last fri 20th april but nothing since. (my cat found him under the bath). my cat still scratches and sniffs around where the pipes enter the floor of the radiator. im at my witts end as i am terrified of them. how do i know if they have left and more to the point when do i seal up the holes. will expanding foam be enough? please help :(

taraspink wrote: »
    have mice under my floor boards upstairs, have caught one but none of the rest have come out because of my cat, havent seen any droppings or food eaten downstairs, how else can i get rid of them and how do i know thats the only place they are. will traps be enough to set. caught one last fri 20th april but nothing since. (my cat found him under the bath). my cat still scratches and sniffs around where the pipes enter the floor of the radiator. im at my witts end as i am terrified of them. how do i know if they have left and more to the point when do i seal up the holes. will expanding foam be enough? please help :(

Keep 7 or 8 traps set around the house, under the sink, in the hot press and behind the bath. Any places where pipes come from the outside need to be blocked - expanding foam will suffice as will any cement type filler. Maybe you only had one mouse - have you heard any scratching at night?

nope have heard nothing. although i didnt hear the one under the bath. just decided to look because the cat was acting weird for a few days around it. shes sitting on the landing the last two days under the radiator. she keeps lifting the carpet from around the pipe and scratching at where the pipe enters the floor. had two mice about two years ago and they were in our ensuite bathroom. caught them and the traps had been clear for a month or so..so filled up the holes and had nothng until now. have 3 traps set in the main bathroom and poison down but they havent been touched since we caaught the one last friday. thanks for your reply but can you actually have just one mouse? :confused:

• Advertisement

taraspink wrote: »
    nope have heard nothing. although i didnt hear the one under the bath. just decided to look because the cat was acting weird for a few days around it. shes sitting on the landing the last two days under the radiator. she keeps lifting the carpet from around the pipe and scratching at where the pipe enters the floor. had two mice about two years ago and they were in our ensuite bathroom. caught them and the traps had been clear for a month or so..so filled up the holes and had nothng until now. have 3 traps set in the main bathroom and poison down but they havent been touched since we caaught the one last friday. thanks for your reply but can you actually have just one mouse? :confused:

Yes you can have just one mouse - but if he's left undetected he'll invite his friends around if there is warmth and food to be had.

i see. well have the traps set since last friday and had poison down, poison had been nibbled (had some in the boiler outside where the pipes enter the wall and some under the bath where we seen the first mouse) both had been nibbled at thats why i thought it was more than one mouse. caught one in the boiler last fri. reset the traps with diff bait yesterday evening and put the cat away but nothing since! dont know what to think really. if they are there i cant understand what they are eating. been cleaning the place like a freak. my house is spotless,either what was there is gone or they are smarter than we think. thank you very much for your reply, really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Carry wrote: »
    I hate the usual mouse traps, not for humane reasons, just because it's disgusting to find dead bloody mice and to dispose of them.

OP, if using a trap do what my friend does - just squint your eyes and throw the trap and the mouse in the bin. They're not that expensive to replace!

kelle wrote: »
    OP, if using a trap do what my friend does - just squint your eyes and throw the trap and the mouse in the bin. They're not that expensive to replace!
    what? sorry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Sorry, Taraspink, that post was directed at Carry (the Original Poster) - I didn't realise his/her post is 3 months old and I'm assuming they're well rid of their furry housemates by now!!

of coarse sorry just realised that now!! lol hope we are rid od them too shortly please god!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Dubchild

Put chocolate stars on your trap if they come back, they seems to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dogluver

Know what your going through. We had the same problem a few years ago. Think they were nesting in the roof. In the end we must have caught twenty or so. We never found out how they got in, but they are so tiny that they can get through any hole.

I didn't like doing it but I used the live mice traps. Not humane I know but I was desperate to get rid. I got hubby to dispose of them! although I had to on a few occasions. Eventually they all went, but I really think this is the only way. They just appear from nowhere and once they start breeding then you end up with a load very quickly.

I haven't had the problem since but we now have two dogs which will hopefully keep them away.

Advertisement