Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying mx bike

• 06-01-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭

hi lads, Im buying a motocross bike nd im not sure if I shud go 125cc or 250cc.
    I fairly sure i want a 2 stroke. Any advice on wat 2 buy or wat 2 pay. Thanks in advance 4 any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭LK KID

anyone know of any good ads on donedeal. Need a bit a help

tnks tought dis was d motorbike forum

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muller25

I bought a motocross bike last year and did the very same as you asked people on boards for advice heres the link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70667495

I was told before getting one to do things like pricing gear other bits and bobs. Bought some of the gear online from england for 300euro 150 for the boots and 150 for helmet, had gloves and googles didnt get a leatt brace.

I bought a CR250 (1400euro bit expensive but was in great condition and got body armor with it) and love it. I was really nervous at first because everyone told me that they were a handful if you were new to it but i started slowly and didn't think it was to fast or heavy or anything like that.

A few of my friends bought the 125s and have got bored and sold them and to be honest there is no reason besides poverty that i would sell mine.

Anymore questions i will be happy to answer hope this helps.

tnks for d advice muller 25. ive only really ever ridden a 50cc lifan semi auto nd but alot of quads.Do ya tink i cud handle a 250 had u much experience b4 u got d bike.

:Djust watched talladega nights f-in funny movie - ''aw sh*t granny,u sh*t outa luck we run this show.''LOL:D

• Advertisement

i had a Yamaha YZF125 road bike before the motocross bike for a year. I think that helped a lot from the clutch control aspect of things, but a few of my friends got on it not having been on a bike before at all. They just started slowly and got the hang of it after a few minutes. I found kick starting it was a pain, because at the start i wasn't the best on it and it would cut out often, i would get tired (yes tired and i was quite fit at the time with football training 2 nights a week and all the rest) but it was tough to get started again. Also if for any reason the bike didnt want to start it could take me a minute or two of constant kicking that was not fun after a few hours of riding it like 3 to 4 outings and now its not a problem at all. Also the shorter you are the harder it is.

tanks gona hav 2 tink about tat. tanks 4 d advice r there any bikes u wud recomend,tnks

any where to get som cheap gear,helmet,boots,chest protector.tnks

http://www.allmoto-online.com/
    http://www.ccmracing.com/
    http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/

stay with the top guns Honda Yamaha Kawasaki and KTM they will give you the least trouble in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LK KID wrote: »
    any where to get som cheap gear,helmet,boots,chest protector.tnks

The generic response here.

Cotters apparently they've opened the new shop so no more digging for stuff.

Is Simon back? Haven't been out for a long time.

• Advertisement

lads need answer qik wat would ya pay 4 a 04 ktm 125

anyone know wat size id b in motox boots im 12 in trainers. do u go up r dwn in size. tnks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

NO TEXT SPEAK.

PLEASE READ THE CHARTER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

anyone know wat size id b in motox boots im 12 in trainers. do u go up r dwn in size. tnks.

Most of the times its the same

Most of the times its the same

You'd think, I was buying runners the other day and 1 pair in size 10 where huge on me and I bought another companies in 10 and they fit perfect, I'm usually size 9.

As with all things you need to try them on, with boots it's not as deadly not trying on as lids, as all manufactures have slightly different sizing. Buying boots too small will make walking horrible and riding not comfortable.

thanks for the advice lads. im going to look at a yz 125 01 and a ktm 125sx 02 any advice on wat to look for( faults,etc) and how to get the price down. thanks again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Rob Nulty

thanks for the advice lads. im going to look at a yz 125 01 and a ktm 125sx 02 any advice on wat to look for( faults,etc) and how to get the price down. thanks again.

Have a look underneath, and make sure theres no oil leaking. Check to see that the forks arent all bent, if they are it might have been crashed. If the frame number has been filed off it normally means the bike has been robbed, <Mod snip>.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭emmetmurphy

Rob Nulty wrote: »
    Have a look underneath, and make sure theres no oil leaking. Check to see that the forks arent all bent, if they are it might have been crashed. If the frame number has been filed off it normally means the bike has been robbed, <Mod Snip> .

Would People really do that Rob

Would People really do that Rob

Hi Emmet. Yes people would do that. If you dont look under the bike how can you tell if its leaking oil? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rob Nulty wrote: »
    Have a look underneath, and make sure theres no oil leaking. Check to see that the forks arent all bent, if they are it might have been crashed. If the frame number has been filed off it normally means the bike has been robbed, so youll probably get a few quid off for that.

Your telling to OP to knowingly buy a stolen vehicle:eek::eek:

If the bike is stolen pretend to be interested and as soon as you leave the seller contact the Gardaí and get the scumbag busted.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your telling to OP to knowingly buy a stolen vehicle:eek::eek:

If the bike is stolen pretend to be interested and as soon as you leave the seller contact the Gardaí and get the scumbag busted.

Yeah but no but, what if he offers you a really good deal? Be hard to walk away. Times are hard and we all need to save where we can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭emmetmurphy

Could you drive a robbed bike if you didnt know it was robbed?

Yes you can, but im not sure..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement