Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

running is the name of the game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

EAST CORK ROAD CHAMPIONSHIPS

This run consists of a 5 mile run looping around Ballynoe village four times with a tough hill to beat as well. Have not run this race before but heard it not a place for the faint hearted, things running late today so only got there with 15 minutes to spare. Registered and was told the start was a mile out the road so this would have to be the warm up. Got to the start and it was nearly time for the off, small feild with about 40 runners, off we went and follow a club member for the first mile which was fast, probably too fast for me mile 1 6:11. Back off the pace a bit and then came to the hill for the first time, Jesus it was tough with a climb that went on for around 600 metres, got to the top only for someone to tell me " only up the hill 3 more time":eek:
    Took a breather, mile 2 6:57, just me and another runner together, with others 50 metres either in front or behind us, settled into a steady pace and chatted away until we reached the hill again, not any easier this time, mile 3 7:01.
    Mile 4 went ok again but started to lose my companion up the hill, he got a few metres of a gap so increase the pace and closed up to him again by the end of the mile. Mile 4 7:16.
    Mile 5 started out steady and tried to keep it going up the hill, this time I opened the gap and he couldn't go with me, finished out strong for a watch time of 34:27.
    Got home and up loaded my time to realise that I got a PB beating my Carrigaline 5 time by 15 sec:D
    Warm up/ cool down 1.5 miles

WTD 20.5 miles
    MTD 125.6 miles
    YTD 540.5 miles

21 mile LSR

Out this morning and dropped water ands gels at mile 7 & 14 for LSR, legs good after last night run and headed off with the plan to keep the pace around 8:30.
    First couple miles no bother and got to first stop still feeling ok, took on the water and gel and set off again, first mile after stop 7:52 so backed off and tried to settle the pace again.
    Second stop at nearly 14 miles and over all pace 8:20, more water and a gel and off for final third of run. Legs getting tired from 16 on but pace stayed constant. Finished out the 21 miles 2:54:34 (pace 8:19) stops 4 mins.
    Home and went for a cold bath to aid the recovery, first time trying this.
    WTD 41.5 miles
    MTD 146.6 miles
    YTD 561.5 miles

3.6 RECOVERY RUN

Feeling stiff and sore since Friday's LSR! took too much on with the race and the LSR paying for it now. Out today with OH so she could pace the run.
    3.6 miles 35:55 (pace 9:54) legs even worst after.

WTD 45.1 miles
    MTD 150.2miles
    YTD 565.2 miles

Very busy with work the last few days and just not feeling like running have not gone near the runners since
    Sunday. Think I need the rest.
    The club's big run of the year on tonight, 5 mile so going along to that.
    nice flat course so will but push on, think I can make it down yo 33:5*.
    Turning 40 tomorrow so my last run before I turn into an old man:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

irfrm wrote: »
    Very busy with work the last few days and just not feeling like running have not gone near the runners since
    Sunday. Think I need the rest.
    The club's big run of the year on tonight, 5 mile so going along to that.
    nice flat course so will but push on, think I can make it down yo 33:5*.
    Turning 40 tomorrow so my last run before I turn into an old man:D

Add another decade and then you will be an old man (speaking from experience)

MIDLETON AC 5 MILE

Ran the club race last night, big difference from last year when it bucketed down from start to finish, nice and cool perfect for a race. Big crowd with over 500 going to post. Plenty of other club members declded to go with one that finish just ahead of me in the 4 mile race two weeks ago.
    Mile 1: went out fast enough and stay with Mor and felt ok 6:18
    Mile 2: steady the pace 6:26
    Mile 3: under pressure, stitch in side just before mile marker 6:36
    Mile 4: had to leave Mor off but mile went ok, bit of downhill 6:43
    Mile 5: felt good to the finish, trying to calculate my time in my head, good sprint at the end 6:27.
    Finishing time 32:31 PB by nearly 2 mins:D
    Knew that I could improve my time but delight with this.

4 MILES RECOVERY

Nice and easy today 4 miles before the birthday cake, 35:34 (pace 8:54)

WTD 12 miles
    MTD 12 miles
    YTD 573.5 miles

5.5 MILES STEADY

5.5 miles 45:23 (pace 8:15) enjoyed this but have a bit of a chesty cough which didn't help with breathing, also ran out the few birthday drinks from last night.
    Worst week since start of log with mileage way off with what it should be, alot of excuses
    with work/birthday/lazy, will have to up it this week.

WTD 17.5 miles
    MTD 17.5 miles
    YTD 579 miles

BACK ON THE ROAD.

So much for the forecast, got out today around lunch time, with sunshine and no rain clouds, plan to get around 13 miles at 8:3* pace.
    Started out well enough with the no problem up to mile 8, had to run the next few miles into a very blustery wind. this seem to drain all my energy,
    next few miles very tough, had to put a big effort into keeping overall pace at 8:3*. Glad when I finished, but may regret last week when marathon comes by.
    14 miles 1:58:55 (pace 8:30)

WTD 14 miles
    MTD 31.5 miles
    YTD 593 miles

8 MILE RECOVERY
    Lovely day for a run, sunny and warm, some one said thats what summer's are like but I can't remember. Legs felt tired but got throught it OK.
    8 miles 1:10:25 (8:51)

WTD 22 miles
    MTD 39.5 miles
    YTD 601 miles

• Advertisement

5 MILE FAST

Out of bed today and straight on the road, Plan was to run 5 miles around
    7:1* but body was tired and settle at 7:2* pace. First 2 miles found it hard to maintain pace but settle more into it and finished the last mile well. Just shows the difference from running a race with others around to running on your own and trying to maintain a fast pace.
    5 miles 37:12(7:26)

WTD 27 miles
    MTD 27 miles
    YTD 606 miles

LAST LSR MP

Was to do this yesterday but had to move it today, clock went off at 6:30 but didnt get up till 7:30. On the road after 8 as I had to do water drops first. Started off comfortable, keeping the pace under 8:00 and got to first water stop ( mile7) and happy with pace 7:50.
    Took a gel with the water and set off again running in beautiful morning sunshine, again maintained the pace even with some slight drags and got to stop 2 with avg pace still at 7:52. Got another gel in and set off, plan was to keep pace up till mile 18 then slow it down for last three. Legs began to get tired by mile 18 so was glad to be able to slow up. Finished 21 miles 2:48:33 (8:02).
    Positive; maintain pace well
    Negative: tired at mile 18.

Hoping that on marathon day the crowds will take me with them:)

WTD 49 miles
    MTD 49 miles
    YTD 627 miles

Hoping that on marathon day the crowds will take me with them:)
    Worth 10-15 seconds a mile - if you get the crowd to line the route for 26 miles you would be made up:p.

Seriously, good LSR, you are well tuned for a good one.

4 MILE RECOVERY

4 mile recovery nice and easy legs tired but felt ok.
    4 miles 37:02 (9:14)

WTD 4 miles
    MTD 52 miles
    YTD 610 miles

4 MILE RECOVERY

Only time for 4 miles this evening so took it easy again, 4 miles 34:22(8:34)

WTD 8 miles
    MTD 56 miles
    YTD 614 miles

CHEETAH RUN

Great atmosphere around Fota wildlife park, plan was to run with OH who was trying to beat 38:00. Enjoyed the run but other half found it tough especially at the end.
    Another recovery run:D

4 miles 36:57 (9:14)

WTD 12 miles
    MTD 60 miles
    YTD 618 miles

4 MILES STEADY

Steady run this evening in the rain, just picked it up a small bit from last night.
    4 mile 34:32(8:38)

WTD 16 miles
    MTD 64 miles
    YTD 622 miles

10 MILES MP

Found it hard to motivate myself to get out this morning but when got on the road felt good, first 5 miles slightly downhill and tipped along turned to retrace my route and the drag all the way to the finish was tough. Was happy when checked time that avg was 8:07 and overall didn't lose that much time on the second leg.
    10 miles 1:21:15 (8:07)

WTD 26 miles
    MTD 74 miles
    YTD 632 miles

10 MILES FAST

Things to do yesterday so tne plan was to do a recovery run at around 8, nig the next door neighbour call just after dinner and talk me into going for a run with him. This would have gone ok only for my dinner been stuck halfway and feeling very uncomfortable.
    Set out and the pace settle at 7:3* so happy to keep it going, reaching 5 mile mark 7:34, some tough drags and one hill in the last 5 mile which nig flew up, upped the pace for last 2 miles 7:00 & 7:04 to get home in 74:42 (7:28).
    Legs felt good, but will not eat too close to running again:(
    Lovely evening for a run, summer is on the way:)

WTD 36 miles
    MTD 84 miles
    YTD 642 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

You're tipping along nicely. I must try get down for the Cheetah Run next year, haven't been into Fota in aaaaages. Nice finish to your 10 mile fast yesterday. Have you any more fast runs (or MP) planned between now and race day?

outforarun wrote: »
    Have you any more fast runs (or MP) planned between now and race day?

Hoping to do around 12 Saturday but I'll take it ease, no more long runs at MP. Have the first of Ballycotton summer series on Thursday, don't know if I will take this handy or give it a go. Small chance if i do the four that I could be in "Top 50" but would need to run PB in all these, so talking my self into going for it. Hope it wont effect CCM.
    Your own training has gone well, Whats your plan for the next 2 week's?

5.2 MILES CLUB SESSION

Club training for the first time in ages, afew groups doing speed work but went with a group who were just putting in easy miles. Ran with someone who is also doing the marathon, discussed how training went and plan for the day, miles flew by.
    5.2 miles 44:33 (8:36)

WTD 5.2 miles
    MTD 89.2 miles
    YTD 647.2 miles

4 MILES EASY

Out in the rain (this is summer) for an easy run, legs felt tired and heavy.
    4 miles 37:39 (9:14)

WTD 9.2 miles
    MTD 93.2 miles
    YTD 651.2 miles

Your own training has gone well, Whats your plan for the next 2 week's?

I have a 5 miler planned for Saturday and I'll be aiming for 7:2X pace the hope being that this will be an exercise in slowing down. A leisurely 10 mile LSR on Sunday. Then it's the final week, no fast running, no long runs. Think I'll sneak in a 3 miler the day before race-day, just to keep the legs awake. Can't wait for race-day now.

BALLYANDREEN 5 MILE BALLYCOTTON SUMMER SERIES

Summer arrive in Cork today and with it the first of the Ballycotton summer series races, beautiful evening for a run, just getting a bit chilly before the 8 oclock start. Feeling good for this but would have to run my best to stay in contention for "top 50 male", the start for this race is very narrow and I must have been 20 rows back by the time it started, even had to walk past the start line.
    Mile 1 went well controling the pace and comortable at 6:39.
    Mile 2 tipping along, should have been a bit quicker as there is a good down hill 6:38
    Mile 3 again holding my own 6:35.
    Mile 4 sarted well but the "beast of Ballyandreen" began to take it toll, losing alot of time 7:16.
    Mile 5, once I got my breath back felt ok again and knew that the last mile is nearly all down hill, came home well 6:11.
    Finish time Garmin 33:19.
    Happy enough with this as its a tough race, splits good, fellt good at the end, "Top 50" may be beyond me(this year), no injuries which is the main thing.

Warm up/race/ cool down 6.8 miles
    WTD 16 miles
    MTD 100 miles
    YTD 658 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

Impressive time in that heat, I hit a similar time for the frank duffy in the phoenix park last year. I Can never seem to maintain sub 7 over the distance, would like to hear people opinions on training around these times.

Well done

tonto2010 wrote: »
    I Can never seem to maintain sub 7 over the distance, would like to hear people opinions on training around these times.
    Think its all about interval training which was done with the club over the winter, have not really done any of this type of training becauce of marathon training.
    Training on hills would have also helped for last night run.
    Will get back to these after CCM

2 MILES VERY EASY

2 miles this morning after nights while my car was taking the nct, legs very dead and took things very easy had to stop at 2 as legs could go no further, 2 miles 20:05 (9:57)

WTD 18 miles
    MTD 102 miles
    YTD 660 miles

9 MILES STEADY

Out around 9 this morning and sunshine to go with it, started with the intention of going 9 min pace, first couple of miles went to plan but startd to speed up with the help of a downhill so just kept that pace going.
    Everything felt good so 1 week to go and can't wait for the day, hope the weather cools a bit, tough going in the sun:rolleyes:
    9 miles 1:18 (8:46)
    WTD 27 miles
    MTD 111 miles
    YTD 669 miles

5.5 MILES CLUB TRAINING

Club session last night and all doing the marathon just put in some easy miles.

5.5 miles 51:00 (9:05)

WTD 5.5 miles
    MTD 116.5 miles
    YTD 675.5 miles

• Advertisement

2.2 MILES VERY EASY

Out tonight just to stretch the legs, wanted to do more but held off.
    2.2 miles 21:06 (9:36)

WTD 7.7 miles
    MTD 118.7 miles
    YTD 677.7 miles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Best of luck on Monday. Fingers crossed you nail that sub 3:30 :)

4 MILES EASY

Out in the rain this evening taking it nice and easy, remember back to 2 years ago when I couldn't run across the road and now I'm facing my first marathon, come along way:D

4 miles 39:04 (9:00)

WTD 11.7 miles
    MTD 4 miles
    YTD 681.7 miles:D

Best of luck tomorrow.

You have the training done, you have the weather, have the faith and 3:29:xx is yours;).

Enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck tomorrow...I plan on drafting behind yourself and Outforarun for 26.1 miles and then unleashing possibly the slowest kick in history!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow...I plan on drafting behind yourself and Outforarun for 26.1 miles and then unleashing possibly the slowest kick in history!!
    Best of luck as well...have checked the rule book, no drafting allowed, will have to watch out for this kick.
    Going to expo later and maybe a small jog if weather improves.

Best of luck as well...have checked the rule book, no drafting allowed, will have to watch out for this kick.
    Going to expo later and maybe a small jog if weather improves.

No tripping as I cruise past you!!

THIS IS IT.

Up and ready for the day, not a great night sleep a lot of checking the time, but I'm really good and confident. Looks like its going to be a beautiful day with clear blue skies.
    Bowl of porridge is down so it time to get on the road hope everyone enjoys their day and achieves the goal they are looking for.

How'd you go?

Congrats on your sprint-finish win. Fair play man. Great running.

• Advertisement

Sprint finish! I though I was going backwards at the end, just about moving.

CORK CITY MARATHON

First marathon done and dusted and marked off the bucket list, day went really well for me and enjoyed the whole marathon expeience.
    Meet up a few club members at city hall but started to get a bit nervous so headed down to the start and did some stretching but not much of a warm up. Getting thristy so change plan and stay a bit in front of 3:30 pacers so I would get to the first water station before the crowd with the pacers. Headed off and settle in a nice pace and complete first mile 7:37 so band on, got to water station and took two bottles and sipped these until the next station. Felt comfortable with pace so maintain this for the next few miles, really great support going through the relay changeover at 5.5 miles. Running through the tunnel was great even thought the pull out of it was the first hard test of the day. Pace still steady and avg still at 7:33 and feeling good.
    Got to Blackrock castle and out on the Mahon walkway and clouds had come in so a bit of shade from the sun, got to the half way mark 1:39:29.
    Over the walkway and on to the old railway line, two st Finbarr club runners came past me, decided to go with these and we ran the next 7 miles together. Still feeling good with pace at 7:32, found miles 16 to 20 tough with some small pulls which required extra effort, stayed with my two pacers until the Lough and had to leave them off. The hill going Model farm road really took it out of me and my times began to slow from here with pace dropping from mile 21 till the end. Trying to calculate my time and see if I could hang on to break 3:30, could not work it out so just tried to keep the legs moving.
    When I was on the straight road one of the Finbarrs runners that I ran was at the side of the road in bad shape ( heard after that he was ok).
    Once I got out on the road at Sundays well knew that I would make it and even passed a few runners till the end, when I turned over Patricks bridge I couldn't believe the crowds at each side of the road roaring on all the runners, felt like I was winning the race. Also must mention John Cashman who was doing the commentary at the end, gave me a big shout out as he knew I was trying to break 3:30.
    Was shattered at the end and when I stopped got a piercing pain in my right shoulder, went to the physio's tent where I suffered more than any sage of the race. A few nurofen and its feeling better today. Out for pints last night with club members and we all recounted our marathon stories.
    Cork city marathon 3:26:06 (7:48) chip 3:25:45 Cork city marathon
    Thinking of the next marathon already and what I can I do to improve:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I know that feeling tryin to work out times coming to the end of a marathon, simple maths is a problem :) Well done btw, knew you'd have no bother breaking 3:30.

Well done on beating 3:30 - and by a margin as well. Good to see all the training coming through on the day.

BACK ON THE ROAD

Legs have felt tired the last few days even thought I was looking forward to getting back out again decided that I would take two days rest and ease back slowly. Shoulder has improved and the sun burn have eased. Out today when the rain stopped and took it as slow as I could, even the dog was surprised at how ease I was going:)
    2 miles 21:15 (10:35) felt good to be out.

WTD 28.4 miles
    MTD 32.4 miles
    YTD 710.1miles

4 MILES EASY

Out with OH so the pace pace was nice and easy, legs still a bit sore so was glad to be taking it easy. Lovely evening for a run, OH found the hills tough but got to the end well.

4 miles 41:52 (10:28)

WTD 32.4 miles
    MTD 36.4 miles
    YTD 714.5 miles

5.5 MILES FAST

5.5 miles fast, legs still sore but carried on, happy enough that legs can move.

5.5 miles 42:04 (7:47)

WTD 37.9 miles
    MTD 41.9 miles
    YTD 720 miles

6 MILES STEADY

Out today and found it very warm, 6 miles but splits all over the place.

6 miles 52:50 (8:48)

WTD 6 miles
    MTD 47.9 miles
    YTD 726 miles

LEGS ARE BACK

Legs felt good yesterday so was looking forward to run, plan was 8 mile loop at 8:10 pace, steady out even going under8 min for a few miles up hill. Decided to test legs out more with some 1/2 mile intervals with 1/4 mile recovery. Happy with time for intervals 3:30, 3:15 & 3:10 wih recovery ran in 2 mins.

8.5 miles 1:02:07 (7:46)

WTD 14.5 miles
    MTD 56.4 miles
    YTD 734.5 miles

• Advertisement

Down and home for weekend OH and myself trying to talk a few of her family into run/walking a 10km race thats coming up in a few weeks. Got some takers so set off on Saturday for the first training run (5km) I went with the people who are thinking of running and she went with jog/walkers, everybody took it nice and easy and all enjoyed and are looking forward to next session.
    3.3 miles 43:10(13:01), I had to go back for car 3.0 miles 27:50(9:13)

A few of us went out Sunday for a similar run, Banna beach was looking its best with loads out for a morning walk.
    6.2 miles 56:50( 3.1 miles @8:33 & 3.1 miles@ 9:40)

WTD 27 miles
    MTD 68.9 miles
    YTD 747 miles

Advertisement