Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Sea's Final Log

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Finally a half decent day. St Ignatius goes in at 15/2.

Loss:16.15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Finally a half decent day. St Ignatius goes in at 15/2.

Loss:16.15

Fairplay, nice winner, was on Very Well Red myself,both horses might be worth keeping in mind in the coming weeks.

Thanks stevo, that's true,the second should be a winner too if he isn't put up too much. I got a bit lucky today

Liszt 3.10 Fairyhouse 10/1

Nicely bred gelding by Galileo who started off his racing career with Ballydoyle where he was a dual winner up to 14 furlongs on the flat before switching his focus to hurdling. Hadn't shown much in a couple of runs over hurdles before moving to his current yard following a forth place finish in a seller at Stratford,but returned from a break since July to run his best race yet in an 18furlong handicap hurdle at Down Royal last time out about 3 weeks ago, finishing five lengths behind of the well backed Selection Box (9/2-9/4),who seemed very well treated. Plenty of encouragement can be taken from that run, given that the pair were 15 lengths clear of the third place horse. He looked a bit ungenuine that day,attempting to run out at the fifth. However,he is entitled to improve for his comeback and should run well.

Stake:15 euro

Flaygray 2.50 Doncaster 7/1

This looks a competitive handicap hurdle with several in with good chances.This horse is very unexposed for an eight year old,given that this is only his eleventh race,and his forth in a handicap. He had his first race in a handicap back in May off a mark of 96 over two and three quarter miles,when he was a close up third,beaten a length by Almutaham but were 26 lengths clear of the forth placed horse. He returned off a mark of 97 over 2 miles 2 furlongs at Kelso in November,slamming the opposition when winning impressively by nine lengths. He was just as good in defeat last time off his revised mark when finishing third,beaten five lengths. However,I think that trip was on the short side for him. A return to two and a half miles and better ground may see him go better tomorrow.

Stake:20 euro

• Advertisement

What an absolute balls. Since I'm in a different time zone I slept in and missed backing Mickleson who won at 10/1. I also missed the big prices on

Harpsy Cord 1.30 Fairyhouse 11/2

Unexposed gelding who won a maiden hurdle at the third time of asking,having previously finishing behind So Young and Raptor. Was a no show in a winners race since,but he was always going to be a better chaser and is a winning pointer. Jim Dreaper is well able to get them ready for fences and looks one of the likelier types.

Flaygray is a non runner and my main hope today.

Harpsy Cord is a well beaten third, but that's not the full story I'll be on again. He was off since May and travelled well for a very long way,expect him to come on for that.

Liszt is a huge drifter,I'm not expecting too much. Plus there's a huge gamble in the race.

I came on because I forgot to back this one I picked out last night

Dark Castle 5.45 Kempton 9/4

Very speedily bred son of Dark Castle who has been impressive with his first bunch of two year olds. He's by a daughter of Magic Ring,who was a three time winner over 5-6 furlongs,and he is good for speedy juveniles. He was backed off the boards in his only previous start,surprisingly over a mile here at Kempton,which seems too far given his pedigree. He was backed down to 4/1,having been available at 16/1 that morning. He travelled well for a long way,and considering that factor along with his pedigree,this step back to six should see him in a better light,considering he wasn't green the last day. Not too strong of a maiden but there are dangerous newcomers,in particular Cats Eyes and Gabrial's Bounty with previous runs having been gelded.

Stake:40 euro

Liszt ran well,finishing second having attempted to make all. Thought he'd do it at one point but was passed at the second last.

Don't usually have this many bets,but going for one more. A day in front of the fire and putting off a bastard of an essay.

Lady Royal Oak 4.15 Kempton 18/1

A long standing maiden,but she looked like she was going to be a smart filly when she started off her racing career with Marco Botti,finishing third having traded at 25/1 on. Was then outclassed in a group 2 at Royal Ascot before a third in a novice race. However,her career has gone downhill since. She left Marco Botti and wasn't seen for nearly two years until July of this year,presumably through injury. She entered handicaps off a mark of 65 and hasn't really landed a blow since. That said,she's down to a rating of 47 and this is an open race. She'll find this easier than racing in a maiden last time out, and wouldn't be surprised to see her outrun her odds today,in the same sense that I wouldn't be surprised to see her tailed off.

Stake:10 euro

A bit of a frustrating day. Liszt traded at odds on, while Lady Royal Oak finished dead last, but attempted to make all from the front before fading in the final furlong,and did trade at about 2/1 in running. Could have a win soon.

Dark Castle turned out to be the best backed horse of the day,winning comfortably at 6/5. The 100/30 this morning would have been nice.

Profit of 45 on the day to bring me into profit overall.

Profit:28.85

I'm also going to back Man City to beat Liverpool 11/10

Just don't fancy that Liverpool team away to city.

Pearl Rebel 4.45 Kempton 11/8

This is an admittedly short price and raging I missed the 2/1 that was available but this could prove to be a banker tomorrow(or not). Nicely bred son of Cockney Rebel from a nice family,whose dam won 3 times from a mile to a mile and a quarter. Was the best backed horse of the day when winning a Kempton 6 furlong maiden on his debut last month,quickening well a furlong out to register a comfortable enough victory,having been backed from 10/1 in to 15/8 favourite. The step up in trip is sure to suit given the stamina on his dam's side and the way he kept on the last day. His opening mark of 75 could well be a lenient one, and looks a colt to keep on your side entering handicaps.

Stake:80 euro

• Advertisement

Laconicos 6.15 Kempton 4/1

Long standing maiden on the flat but isn't ungenuine,who has now gone 38 runs on the flat without a win,but has been placed on eighteen runs and has been in some good form of late,including when beaten a head over course and distance off a pound higher mark, and beaten a nose over this distance at Lingfield in November off this mark. Although this is quite an open race,this gelding does give his running and if he can reproduce one of those two runs he should be there or thereabouts, and should break his duck soon,although he undeniably frustrating. Gallantry could be a threat if taking to this middle distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

A bit of a frustrating day. Liszt traded at odds on, while Lady Royal Oak finished dead last, but attempted to make all from the front before fading in the final furlong,and did trade at about 2/1 in running. Could have a win soon.

Dark Castle turned out to be the best backed horse of the day,winning comfortably at 6/5. The 100/30 this morning would have been nice.

Never bet against the mighty Reds :)
    The only time I was happy to see you lose a bet, now dont do that again.

Haha I only really did it cos I was going to watch the match. A silly bet but not too fussed.

King of Castle 3.05 Folkestone 6/1

Genuinely can't believe the price about this fella. He returned from a break with his first run since July when landing a selling handicap hurdle on heavy going last week and a gamble in the process over this distance at Folkestone when destroying the field by 16 lengths. This is a step up in class and he carries a seven pound penalty for it but it's very possible he could step up on that.Favourite looks very short here at about 7/4 given that he only won by a head last time(but pair were clear). However,my selection's mark is effectively 102 with the penalty,and he has won off 108 so he could still be well in.

Stake:50 euro

Hennessy 2.15 Catterick 11/1

Was going to back it earlier on at 14/1 but decided against it but going to have a small stake on it in the end. He's possibly very well handicapped. He's without a win for nearly 1000 days since he won the Bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown back in April 09 off a mark of 132. Made a satisfactory return at Kelso,beaten around 20 lengths in to fifth. Following runs haven't been as encouraging,pulling him in a hot Cheltenham handicap(was fancied at 8/1 off a mark of 124) and finished last at Calisle,which looks too bad to be true. His third in the cross country at Cheltenham is also flattering,given about 6 ahead of him ran out. That said,this race is wide open and he's very appealing off a mark of 115 with a capable 5 pound claimer on board.

One quick one before the off. Has every chance here and Dandy does well at Southwell

Luscvicious 5/1 12.55 Southwell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Nice bet on King Of Castle, gutted I waited till this morning, still though 3/1 winner is better than 20/1 loser.

Cheers 9. I see in your blog you had Nicholls' horse today that came second,did you happen to see the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

This is an admittedly short price and raging I missed the 2/1 that was available but this could prove to be a banker tomorrow(or not). Nicely bred son of Cockney Rebel from a nice family,whose dam won 3 times from a mile to a mile and a quarter. Was the best backed horse of the day when winning a Kempton 6 furlong maiden on his debut last month,quickening well a furlong out to register a comfortable enough victory,having been backed from 10/1 in to 15/8 favourite. The step up in trip is sure to suit given the stamina on his dam's side and the way he kept on the last day. His opening mark of 75 could well be a lenient one, and looks a colt to keep on your side entering handicaps.

Followed ya on this, cheers man:D

Cheers 9. I see in your blog you had Nicholls' horse today that came second,did you happen to see the race?

No I didn't see any racing today, why's that, something quare happen?

I had the Timeform Radio on.

They blamed Jacobs for losing the race. Apparently he was cruising and went 5/1 on in running,and sat motionless while he let the other horse close on him. Then made a mistake at the last,but the horse gained ground when he pushed him,so he couldn't say the horse found nothing on the bridal.

They made it sound pretty clear cut that it was him who cost it the race

• Advertisement

Well **** him anyway!!!!!

City lost last night,they never even looked like scoring.

Wins as a well backed favourite,ended up starting 5/6
    Laconicos 6.15 Kempton 4/1

Long standing maiden on the flat but isn't ungenuine,who has now gone 38 runs on the flat without a win,but has been placed on eighteen runs and has been in some good form of late,including when beaten a head over course and distance off a pound higher mark, and beaten a nose over this distance at Lingfield in November off this mark. Although this is quite an open race,this gelding does give his running and if he can reproduce one of those two runs he should be there or thereabouts, and should break his duck soon,although he undeniably frustrating. Gallantry could be a threat if taking to this middle distance.

Never landed a blow,disappointing.
    Haha I only really did it cos I was going to watch the match. A silly bet but not too fussed.

King of Castle 3.05 Folkestone 6/1

Genuinely can't believe the price about this fella. He returned from a break with his first run since July when landing a selling handicap hurdle on heavy going last week and a gamble in the process over this distance at Folkestone when destroying the field by 16 lengths. This is a step up in class and he carries a seven pound penalty for it but it's very possible he could step up on that.Favourite looks very short here at about 7/4 given that he only won by a head last time(but pair were clear). However,my selection's mark is effectively 102 with the penalty,and he has won off 108 so he could still be well in.

Stake:50 euro

Well backed into 11/4 second fav with a small rule 4,wins in a very game effort.
    Hennessy 2.15 Catterick 11/1

Was going to back it earlier on at 14/1 but decided against it but going to have a small stake on it in the end. He's possibly very well handicapped. He's without a win for nearly 1000 days since he won the Bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown back in April 09 off a mark of 132. Made a satisfactory return at Kelso,beaten around 20 lengths in to fifth. Following runs haven't been as encouraging,pulling him in a hot Cheltenham handicap(was fancied at 8/1 off a mark of 124) and finished last at Calisle,which looks too bad to be true. His third in the cross country at Cheltenham is also flattering,given about 6 ahead of him ran out. That said,this race is wide open and he's very appealing off a mark of 115 with a capable 5 pound claimer on board.

Was never at the races today,was detached for nearly the whole race

One quick one before the off. Has every chance here and Dandy does well at Southwell

Luscvicious 5/1 12.55 Southwell

I don't know what made me think he was trained by Dandy Nicholls.

Overall ended up with a profit of 330 today.

Profit:338.85

Clever Dick 12.50 Huntingdon 100/30

Very lightly raced for a six year old,having his first run in handicaps tomorrow off a mark of 88 and having only his sixth start,two of which were in bumpers. He was an expensive three year old,costing 154,000 and his dam won seven times over hurdles and a couple more over fences. He hasn't much form to his name,but I think his last two runs over an extended two miles were too short for him. His best run was first time out over hurdles,when forth at Southwell on fast ground over two and a half miles. He enters handicaps off a very feasible mark and is unexposed stepping up in trip for the in form Pipe yard.Conor O'Farrel takes off a valuable three pounds and this race looks to lack some strength in depth. 6/4 favourite looks too short. Carries a seven pound penalty for a win last week but has been found out off marks similar to this and that wasn't a particularly strong five runner field. Think this looks a decent price.

Stake:60 euro

Royaume Bleu 1.20 Huntingdon 8/1

Victor Chandler's 8/1 looks huge here in my opinion in a race that I think the two favourites are far too underpriced. Royaume Bleu isn't one to put too much faith into as he's still a maiden after 12 starts under rules but he ran a very good race the time before last when third over this distance at Uttoxeter off a four pound lower mark,with the three of them 20 lengths clear of the remainder,and he was beaten under three parts of a length. Not so good last time,but suspicions are he didn't stay the 25 furlong trip. If he reproduces the same run as his third at Uttoxeter that should give him every chance here. However he is inconsistent,but hopefully he can put his best foot forward tomorrow. I couldn't put too much faith in two short priced favourites having been beaten 22 lengths and 16 lengths respectively last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Well lad. I didn't back Clever Dick but thought the jock was damn poor on him. He was too easy on the horse going over the last 2 and went for him too late.

I backed your other one, was going well at the time, but doubt he'd have beaten the winner anyway. One to keep an eye on again. Paul Maloney probably doesn't help mind you so hopefully not on him next time.

I'm at work so didn't get to see it but you aren't the only person to say that about his ride Slattsy.

Looking back laying the two favs would have been better in the second race. How horses beaten so far can be favs next time out with no excuses is beyond belief.

No time to write up these as at work but backed two in Bruce on my lunch.

Ultra cool 10/1 8.20 Dundalk

Mrs Batt 6.50 Dundalk 9/1

Watch Mrs Batt's race. If ever there was a horse to take out of a race it was her. Was horribly bumped on the first turn and then got absolutely no room in the straight. Ran a cracker to get as near as she did. Will definitely be on next time. Some for tomorrow,reasoning to follow.

Mawaakeef 1.00 Ling 12/1

Showboating 1.30 Ling 6/1

Handy Andy 2.30 Warwick 14/1

Court Victory 1.25 Warwick 7/2

Poor day. Ultra Cool ran a stinker. I wouldn't have backed him earlier had I have known he'd go off at about 25/1 on Betfair.

Profit:228.85

Mawakeef 1.00 Ling 12/1

Yet to show anything near the promise he showed as a juveneile in Ireland,which was highlighted by a good second in the Group 2 Beresford at the Curragh,beaten 4 lengths by Casamento,who went on to win the group 1 Racing Post Trophy the same season. A repeat of that form would have him miles clear ahead of this bunch,but hasn't been near that level since. His only win is in a maiden at Killarney prior to his Beresford second,but ran a good race when forth on his debut in a hot Curragh maiden behind Pathfork who won the group 1 National Stakes that year,and a short head behind Zarajabad,beaten a head in a Listed race last year,but since disappointing.
    Those races lead him to get a rating of 100,and he didn't run badly in two stakes races in Ireland,most lately at Killarney in June,beaten three quarters of a length from a potentially smart sort. Didn't show a whole lot returning from a two month break on his first run for his new stable last time,but he is down to a rating of 87,and I don't think his front running tactics suited him. The booking of Fallon is a positive,and the fitting of cheekpieces need to have the same effect. A risky bet,but I think that 12/1 was a big price for him.

Showboating 1.30 Ling 6/1

A bit disappointing that he only has one win to his name but he has been running consistently without claiming many scalps of late but has slowly been dropping down the handicap to a rating of 70,which is three pounds above his winning mark over this distance at Leicester in August. However,he raced mainly off a mark of 74 since and acquitted himself well,including when placed off that mark at Wolverhampton over this distance,beaten a length and a half by Titus Gent,having been third over the same C&D the time before,a length and a quarter behind Emiratesdotcom. Has since been beaten no more than five lengths in in five subsequent runs,and should be there or thereabouts tomorrow with every pound helping his case. I think Lastkingofscotland may struggle with his penalty.

Handy Andy 2.30 Warwick 14/1

This is a wide open handicap hurdle but I think this unexposed gelding hasn't shown his full potential yet. A winning pointer on his only start, he made a promising start over hurdles when winning on his debut,over two and a half miles at Newbury,beating a decent horse in the form of Our Father,who has subsequently won a handicap hurdle off a mark of 128 as well as having had two previous tries over hurdles. The horse was clearly well thought of, and was sent off an 11/1 shot in his next start in a grade 1 novice staying hurdle at Aintree. He disappointed in that,pulling up but was found to have pulled a muscle.
    Returned this season when running over two and a half miles in a decent novice chase won by Silviano Conti. He's better than that and can be forgiven as it was his first run since April,and his rating of 127 could be lenient looking at his hurdles race through our father. In a race this open he's worth a small stake.

Court Victory 1.25 Warwick 7/2

My main bet tomorrow and I think this fella is a cracking bet,and is available at 4/1 with Stan James at the minute. A totally unexposed sort,having just his third race,his first being a point to point that he won,beating a smart horse in Maringo Bay,who Alfie Spinner,one of the horses that he faces tomorrow,beat last time out. He made a promising start to racing under rules last time out when he was first past the post in a two and a half mile novice chase at Uttoxeter,beating Mister Hyde by a head,but the result was overturned for interference by the winner on the runner up. However,that was a very good start to chasing career and he should benefit for the step up to three miles tomorrow,given that he has already won the point. Frascati Parks is underpriced for me here and I hope my horse can run a big race.

Just noticed that the horse Handy Andy beat Our Father is the ante post favourite for the Pertemps. He could prove to be very well handicapped. Might put more on it depending how the others go tomorrow

• Advertisement

Two bad days in a row.

Handy Andy was up with the pace and dropped away easily.

Court Victory was running a big race and trading odds on when he hit two out and faded quickly.

Mawaakef needs to drop another ten pounds.

Showboating ran well to be beaten less than a length having been out the back for most of it,flying at the end. Will be of interest again.

Loss of 105 on the day
    Profit:123.85

Advertisement