Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Holiday Tattoos"

Options
  • 06-01-2012 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Worst idea I ever had. After doing this and knowing a few others who have had similar problems just a warning from experience not to get tattoos on holiday cheaply. Now is the time of year people plan getting one on their summer holidays. Got mine done in Lanzarote last summer and yes it was half price but its not worth it, I got mine redone in Cork and the artist said "The guy butchered your leg" He used the wrong sized needles and everything. What should have taken 45 minutes took 11. Just a word of warning. Of course not every tattoo parlour abroad is bad but certain ones stay away from. Just do your homework.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's kind of common sense though. If you haven't seen the artists previous work and you're getting a piece that you pointed to in a catalogue of course you're going to be a bit p!ssed off.

As far as workmanship goes, never trust holiday destination tattoo shops (unless they've a great reputation\portfolio).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Its a ridiculous idea. Sun + Sea = Very bad for tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

chin_grin wrote: »
    It's kind of common sense though. If you haven't seen the artists previous work and you're getting a piece that you pointed to in a catalogue of course you're going to be a bit p!ssed off.

As far as workmanship goes, never trust holiday destination tattoo shops (unless they've a great reputation\portfolio).
    It Was my first tattoo, I really didnt realise what I was getting myself in for. I spent a week looking at his work, even spoke to someone who was coming out after one. Whatever happend it ended up shocking. Was given kitchen paper leaving to cover it. 4 of us ended up going and you know how it is "It will be grand" or "Ah come on". Anyway I think mine turned out the best of 4 which was still terrible. Live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Worst idea I ever had. After doing this and knowing a few others who have had similar problems just a warning from experience not to get tattoos on holiday cheaply. Now is the time of year people plan getting one on their summer holidays. Got mine done in Lanzarote last summer and yes it was half price but its not worth it, I got mine redone in Cork and the artist said "The guy butchered your leg" He used the wrong sized needles and everything. What should have taken 45 minutes took 11. Just a word of warning. Of course not every tattoo parlour abroad is bad but certain ones stay away from. Just do your homework.
    Captainobvious.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Arawn wrote: »
    Captainobvious.jpg
    Ah I see, you're one of them?

keyboardwarrior-758092.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Keep it civil please folks!

As with any tattoos, doing your homework is essential. Hope it turned out better once ya got it fixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dinkel

Getting a tattoo or piercing abroad is pretty much always stupid. Other country means a different flora of bacteria which your body wont be used to. This means higher risk of infection, even if the parlor is awesome. Same reason a lot of people get sick on their holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Just on that subject
    http://tiny.cc/m0132

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Melion wrote: »
    Its a ridiculous idea. Sun + Sea = Very bad for tattoos.

Not if you use your head.Got my Sugar Skull done on Holiday after researching the artist.
    Hes currently drawing up a back piece for me--if I get there this year that is--Im still debating whether to get him to do my pin up.

If youre going to sun yourself to bits and then immerse the tattoo in the sea/pool etc then your just asking for trouble.

Linkie time :

http://www.fotolog.com/nanotattoo666

Thats the lad I use in Girona.Based in a Shop in Estartit called Tribal Ink from June to September.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just on that subject
    http://tiny.cc/m0132

Not one case of Hiv has ever been attributed to Tattooing or Piercing although plenty of cases of Hepatitis have.

Id say it was from another source that he contracted it.Maybe he didnt want to tell his partner that he was playing away or something so blamed the tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Not one case of Hiv has ever been attributed to Tattooing or Piercing although plenty of cases of Hepatitis have.

Id say it was from another source that he contracted it.Maybe he didnt want to tell his partner that he was playing away or something so blamed the tattoo.

Thats what I taut myself.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Meh, not always.

My uncle got a tattoo in Puerto Rico, right in the city center, went in, talked to the lads, glanced at a portfolio and showed him a picture of what he wanted.

5 years later and it stills looks great, and brand new. More than I can say for some friends of mine who were tattooed more recently here.

Just as many dodgy places here as abroad, as far as I'm concerned the same rules apply, if you don't plan it out, of course it won't be a good tattoo.

Advertisement