Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM failed

• 06-01-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi

My eircom broadband is down at the moment. And for the last couple of weeks has been going down for periods of up to an hour regularly.

I rang eircom, and they tell me its a problem with my internal network, Which I dont think it is because I a have several computers connected to the router via a switch, and 1 computer connected directly. I cannot access internet on any of them.

the Dsl and interenet lights are green on the zyxel modem. and when I log on the router, the status says its connected.

When I run the Diagnostic tests, DSL, Ethernet,ppoe,ip and authentication PASS. But ATM Fails.

Is it normal for ATM to FAIL, or could it have something to do with the Internet not working.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

did you tell eircom that?

is the eircom router plugged into the first eircom port in the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I have the exact same issue as you described - I have my ISP (UTV internet) looking into the problem. I started a thread here on it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056501352

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

How do you have several connected through a switch and one connected directly? There is only one connection, unless you have multiple broadband lines coming in on multiple phone lines.

At first glance, that could be your problem, the way they are hooked up could be causing issues. And the ATM failing is not an issue, those internal diagnostic tools on those routers rarely work as they should due to the restrictions on the line and other factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

CptSternn wrote: »
    How do you have several connected through a switch and one connected directly? There is only one connection, unless you have multiple broadband lines coming in on multiple phone lines.

At first glance, that could be your problem, the way they are hooked up could be causing issues. And the ATM failing is not an issue, those internal diagnostic tools on those routers rarely work as they should due to the restrictions on the line and other factors.

I mean I have several pcs connected to the eircom router\modem. Several through a switch which is connected to the router and 1 pc which is connected directly to the router.

I just wondered if ATM fail was unusual, as I have tried the test at another location, and ATM passed.

However, the internet is now working again, and ATM test is still showing as failed, so probably unrelated.

I did not mention it to eircom, as I only noticed it after I rang them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

marathont wrote: »
    I mean I have several pcs connected to the eircom router\modem. Several through a switch which is connected to the router and 1 pc which is connected directly to the router.

I just wondered if ATM fail was unusual, as I have tried the test at another location, and ATM passed.

However, the internet is now working again, and ATM test is still showing as failed, so probably unrelated.

I did not mention it to eircom, as I only noticed it after I rang them.

If you are on a ADSL2+ DSLAM chances are you will fail that test all the time. I wouldnt worry about it if I were you.

A quick way to know if the problem is your compter/s or the router/Eircom is, whenever the connection is down ping a website like google.com or bbc.co.uk, or boards.ie for that instance and see if you get a reply. If you dont then try pinging from the router, if its a zyxel you can do it in the maintance section (or tools), if you get a reply then you know the problem is lekly yours. If you dont get anything then you might wanna get back to eircom with that information and see what's going on.

Its unlikely to be an Eircom issue as by the way their network is layout if something like this is affecting you it should be affecting more people. If you are connected this means that you are reaching the ISP.

Do the ping thingie, if you can't even ping the router then this will probably indicate a problem with your setup or worst case scenario the router, try a reset too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Bohrio wrote: »
    If you are on a ADSL2+ DSLAM chances are you will fail that test all the time. I wouldnt worry about it if I were you.

A quick way to know if the problem is your compter/s or the router/Eircom is, whenever the connection is down ping a website like google.com or bbc.co.uk, or boards.ie for that instance and see if you get a reply. If you dont then try pinging from the router, if its a zyxel you can do it in the maintance section (or tools), if you get a reply then you know the problem is lekly yours. If you dont get anything then you might wanna get back to eircom with that information and see what's going on.

Its unlikely to be an Eircom issue as by the way their network is layout if something like this is affecting you it should be affecting more people. If you are connected this means that you are reaching the ISP.

Do the ping thingie, if you can't even ping the router then this will probably indicate a problem with your setup or worst case scenario the router, try a reset too.

I tried that, I could not ping the internet, but the the ping from the zyxel box was succesful. I think it could be a faulty modem\router

Eircom said they will send me out another one, so hopefully that will solve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cheap back up routers are a must for these sort of tests / downtime..

I changed out my router when suffering same symptoms - it didn't make a difference. Keep us posted with updates.

astrofluff wrote: »
    I changed out my router when suffering same symptoms - it didn't make a difference. Keep us posted with updates.

What router do you both have? and fw version please

Did you ask UTV if you were on LLU? if you are on Greystones is likely you are on a different platform none eircom related

AS the UTV support person said, they buy off BT so it's all off the BT hardware. AFAIK its LLU.

• Advertisement

AS the UTV support person said, they buy off BT so it's all off the BT hardware. AFAIK its LLU.

BT resells to UTV bitstream (eircom wholesale produc) and LS. If you are on line sharing then only people on your shame exchange or a LS exchange could be having your same issue and never an Eircom relseller bitstream product.

What modem do you have? Although you have mentioned it has been replaced so I am not sure if the issue is related to the router compatibility.

I managed to find another person with same issues, same ISP, same exchange over on Region>Greystones forum. We haven't narrowed anything down but we are both pushing UTV to sort the problem.

Routers used are: Netgear 150N (about 1 year old) and TP-Link W8961ND (brand spanking new). What's your angle? Are you seeing if the routers are ADSL2+ routers?

I managed to find another person with same issues, same ISP, same exchange over on Region>Greystones forum. We haven't narrowed anything down but we are both pushing UTV to sort the problem.

Routers used are: Netgear 150N (about 1 year old) and TP-Link W8961ND (brand spanking new). What's your angle? Are you seeing if the routers are ADSL2+ routers?

It looks like something to do with your setup or maybe your settings.

You connection(from the exchange) is shared with a lot of people. A global issue will affect hundreds of customers.

It could be a card problem at the exchange, that will reduce the number of customer to just a bunch...

But this can be tested easy by BT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Like Bohrio said, have you tried the reset? As in the reset to factory defaults, by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds. It could help, otherwise the modem needs to be replaced.

Advertisement