Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCC Wireless - Gingerbread working [root only]

• 06-01-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

For anyone interested I just managed to get my HP Touchpad running CM7 Gingerbread working on the wireless. Traditionally this does not work due to some issue with remembering authentication details and the lack of proxy support in Gingerbread.

This was solved by installing Wifi Advanced Config for editing the stored password and installing ProxyDroid [root only] to setup the proxy. Have setup proxydroid to be bound to the UCC network so it automatically kicks in when I connect.

This will only work on rooted phones and/or custom roms like Cyanogenmod. You should find a guide for rooting most phones using Google.

Network is first setup in Wifi-Settings with Add Wifi Network.

SSID: UCC Students
    Security: 802.1x EAP
    EAP: PEAP
    Phase2: MSCHAPv2
    Identity: Student Number
    Password: Computer Center password

Next go into Wifi Advanced Config and choose the network you just made. Make sure Hidden SSID is ticked on the main page. Next go into Enterprise Configuration and then Password. Re-enter your wifi password here. I'm not 100% sure if this step is needed but no harm to do it anyway.

Exit Advanced Config and open up Proxy Droid. Use the following settings:

Host: 10.255.255.10
    Port: 8080
    Type: HTTP
    Tick Autoconnect
    Choose UCC Students as Bound Network.
    Don't enable authentication.
    Enable Global Proxy.

Obviously you also need to do the Wireless registration and visit the IT helpdesk to get the device mac address added.

This setup is working perfectly for me. Browser/Market/Games etc all have internet access. Just got 15Mbps download and 9Mbps upload on speedtest.net too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Honeycomb works on the network too with the same settings as it lets you put in proxy settings, but there are only a few of the staff (well, me and one other :P ) who can connect it for you so if you have an android tablet, it can more than likely be connected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yup. ICS should work fine too without any modifications. It is kind of nuts that Gingerbread and under dosen't have proxy configuration by default!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Sodman

Nice one, worked for me on a rooted galaxy mini running android 2.3.5!

One other setting I had to change was to go into advanced settings on the regular android wifi settings config (by pressing the 'menu' hard-button on the device) and then change the proxy from 'http-proxy' to 10.255.255.10.

Cheers for the tip!

Advertisement