Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island lane jewellers ceased trading

Options
  • 06-01-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

Two shops gone , one in ardkeen and other in tramore . Sign on ardkeen thanking people supporting them for the last 12 years . They got out fast !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Wonder did they sell many vouchers coming up to Christmas :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where in Tramore were island lane jewllers?

The photo booth and maisy shop in city square also closed. Barrots is also closing over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭decies

Opposite tesco near pharmacy out there. They spent a lot of money on that tramore shop sully.

Sign on ardkeen says send vouchers and credit notes to Address on door for full refund.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

decies wrote: »
    Opposite tesco near pharmacy out there. They spent a lot of money on that tramore shop sully.

Do you mean Summerhill Jewelers?

EDIT: Just checked, they are indeed. Only just got a new website and all. Lovely people and a lovely shop, awful shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thats a pity, always thought it was a great shop for christmas\birthday presents. Odds on another fast food outlet moving in ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sad to see that one go. It's a good location for a business but it'll have to be geared from day one to the spending power of people these days. Unfortunately, a jewellery business is going to suffer because that's the kind of thing that people will cut first in terms of spending. I wish the owners and staff every success in whatever other business they might try their hand at. I hope they do, they seemed very decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

Terrible news, I found them fantastic to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Very sad to see them closing. They were very handy for presents when you didn't want to go all the way into town. There was a price difference however and they probably couldn't compete with the bigger department stores in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i was just saying "how on earth is that place still goin" to the other half there just two weeks ago and low and behold there closing, fair play though for them giving back money for credit notes and vouchers,not many business,s would do such a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

i was just saying "how on earth is that place still goin" to the other half there just two weeks ago and low and behold there closing, fair play though for them giving back money for credit notes and vouchers,not many business,s would do such a thing

I think I heard that there was some change surrounding this that would oblige them to do so. Could be wrong though.

tis only right though, coz its someone else,s money technically until its used, prob come,s" under sales of goods and supply of services act 1980"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wonder will they be returning deposits people have paid on items?
    Shame to see it go though. I always thought that making it all into a jewellers was a bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can we not give them the benefit of the doubt and take it that they are refunding vouchers and returning deposits voluntarily and out of honesty and good will rather than because they have to. At this stage comments 'just wondering' are no more than gossip mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

I always liked Island Lane, it was a lovely shop. Two other stores on Michael Street Black Widow and The OC Style Revolution are closing down, they both announced it on their Facebook pages. Terrible to see two shops gone within a stones throw of each other!

its gonna happen i.m afraid and its just the start of it, the next three months will tell a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'm beginning to wonder just what type of shop would be able to succeed in Waterford. Michael St has one of the biggest footfalls of anywhere in the city yet I can't remember the last shop that has gone in there and flourished! I'd genuinely worry about the 2 vintage clothes shops that are there too.

Did KRM acquire many buildings there for the Newgate St Shopping Centre?

Giselles in michael street made a mint, the lads retired a couple of years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

From talking to people who knew the Island Lane staff it seemed a case of 'if we do well over Christmas we'll keep going, if we don't, we'll shut down'. Ray and the rest of them were really sound to deal with, awful pity they're gone, they put a lot of money I'm sure into renovating both stores. Like an earlier post said tho, when ppl cut back on spending, jewellery is one of the first to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

batm!ke wrote: »
    From talking to people who knew the Island Lane staff it seemed a case of 'if we do well over Christmas we'll keep going, if we don't, we'll shut down'. Ray and the rest of them were really sound to deal with, awful pity they're gone, they put a lot of money I'm sure into renovating both stores. Like an earlier post said tho, when ppl cut back on spending, jewellery is one of the first to go.

There will be more of that in January which is an awful month for layoffs. How did retail in general do in Waterford over the Christmas. I was talking to Jamie who works in JC originals and he said they did very well.

• Advertisement

News and star front page has pictures of all the recent retail closeures around the city. The strange one is the shoe centre in patrick street ,limited trading in Jan and feb, only open friday and saturday??? Have the waterford ladies stopped buying shoes and boots i ask???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I always bought in Giselles, though it was a great shop, with great sales. I went off the showe center a good while ago but a few guys in work had a savings account there and bought there because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I always laugh when I pass the Shoe Centre, as it reads 'Hoe Centre'.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

decies wrote: »
    News and star front page has pictures of all the recent retail closeures around the city. The strange one is the shoe centre in patrick street ,limited trading in Jan and feb, only open friday and saturday??? Have the waterford ladies stopped buying shoes and boots i ask???

I'd say Schuh.ie is getting the business, shoes are delivered next day from Cork and a far better choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Paco in georges court is closing down aswell but i do think they were only there for the christmas period

Right news and star made a bags of last weeks front page, the shoe centre is closing only on Monday's during january and February !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I didnt see the news paper, but if they did make that mistake, that's desperate. The Shoe Center should get a years free advertising for that gaff.

It's a bit of a cock up to say the least !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

they really put their foot in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭the roo

Sorry to see Island Lane close down, always liked the shop, found the staff nice to deal with always, always used it as shop for purchase of jewellery items as nice items and staff were good to deal with. Waterford is fast becoming a shop- less town. Very few shops now that would attract you here for any reason.

Advertisement