Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked phone number

Options
  • 06-01-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I just got a call and the other person was asking me to confirm my details. Given that they were using a blocked phone number, I was disinclined to do so givent hat this is exactly what a scammer would ask. They asked me to phone 01 803 5145, but well that could be anybody in the world.

I was told it was about my electrical supply. The reference number they gave did happen to be my account number.

What gives?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi Victor,

I can verify for you that 01 8035145 is in fact an Electric Ireland number. Sorry to hear that the call in question raised suspicion. When our outbound team call customers, it will show as a private/blocked number.
    Victor wrote:
    this is exactly what a scammer would ask

Details would be asked to confirm that we are speaking with the named account holder, but I can see where you're coming from. I will see that your feedback is taken on board. Would you like me to have a look at your account? If so, please feel free to send me your details via PM.

Thanks,

David.

(P.S. If you are in doubt as to the legitmacy of a call from a private/blocked number claiming to be Electric Ireland, it's best to hang-up and call back 1850 372 372; there will be a record of the outbound call if it is genuine)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

I'm very interested in this too. I keep getting the same call. I have explained that there's no way I'm giving out personal information to a random person ringing me on a blocked line. Sending me a text asking me to ring back doesn't make it sound any less of a scam.
    I explained that I am happy to give that information if I ring a number and that I'd be happy to discuss my electrical isssues with the person ringing me but I was told that they would be breaking the law if they spoke to me. I asked what law that would be, as it sounded nonsense, and the person was unable to quote which law it was.

I rang the Data Protection Commission and they confirmed that there was no law to this effect. What the law states is that the company should confirm the identity of the person they are in contact with, but of course if they were doing the ringing it could be assumed that they were ringing the correct person.
    They had heard of companies doing this and agreed it was very bad practice.

I have no doubt that it is legititmatly Electric Ireland, but I'm not going to support a large utility's bad practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi littleredspot,

We appreciate any feedback on boards, positive or negative; I will ensure your comments are forwarded on to the relevant section.

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭AmberAmber

I too have had private phone calls before from the ESB . i am not the quickest at paying my bills i guess. must try harder would be at the end of my report card from the ESB . BUT i did answer and said the same, not comfortable confirming my details to god only knows who on the phone !! so the private calls can go hop is my decision now . never was a fan of answering them as i had some very nasty ones must be 8 or 10 years ago but you never forget when you get horrid scary calls off a privat number you just cant function and jump at any call . so when i see private call it can frighten me . hell it scares the living life out of me still. so please just ring with an 01 , or 1800 number !! we all would pick up !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Thanks all for your feedback. We are taking note of all of your concerns and passing them on to the relevant department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Thanks all for your feedback. We are taking note of all of your concerns and passing them on to the relevant department.
    I got a phone call last Friday, the following Monday, and today 14/02 despite the fact that I am paying off my bill as discussed last Friday.
    It's nothing short of harassment and bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Before I went on a DD I noticed that ESB started getting very quick at calling over late payments - they would give 14 days max and then start calling.

Anyway, I noticed always from a private number too and then they start into the spin.. "due to data protection we need to ensure we are talking to the right person"... and I duly ask them too as to how I know they are the who they say they are? - they get very shirty then.

I admit I used to wind it up a little and say if they give me last 4 digits of my account number then I will give them first 4.. but they weren't buying it so I just say goodbye...and then pay bill in day or two.

I don't think ESB make these call themselves and I believe may use debt collections companies - BCW is one I think used.

ESB and Data Protection commissioner needs to realise that this practice of calling from unknown/private numbers is open to abuse and it is a joke that they, ESB, think they can just call up and start asking for personal details. You have the person's mobile number so 99.9% chance it is who you are looking for so just get on with it and ask for your money and quit your data protection spiel BS.

How many years have we been listening to ad's from banks and then throwing in at end about being regulated by financial regulator... lot of good that did!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Just to give my input
    Esb rang my sister in laws phone last June,my sil was at work and didn't answer her phone but esbleft a voice message,stating who they were and my account number and asked me to give them a call back to a 01 number.(they assumed it my my number)
    As you can all imagine I wasn't happy about this so contacted esb when sil rang to tell me and esb said that they had phoned my number (but they hadn't) and that no other number was on my account other then my number. They had even confirmed this is writing to me.
    So how they got my sil phone number I still don't know as we are completely different surnames and live miles apart

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Orla

Noting all of these comments.

Thanks again,

Orla

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bazlad

Hi Victor,

I can verify for you that 01 8035145 is in fact an Electric Ireland number. Sorry to hear that the call in question raised suspicion. When our outbound team call customers, it will show as a private/blocked number.

Details would be asked to confirm that we are speaking with the named account holder, but I can see where you're coming from. I will see that your feedback is taken on board. Would you like me to have a look at your account? If so, please feel free to send me your details via PM.

Thanks,

David.

(P.S. If you are in doubt as to the legitmacy of a call from a private/blocked number claiming to be Electric Ireland, it's best to hang-up and call back 1850 372 372; there will be a record of the outbound call if it is genuine)

David, stop saying on here that feedback will be taken on board. It is clear the Electric Ireland want to ring people with caller id withheld. Its very bad practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bazlad

tallus wrote: »
    I got a phone call last Friday, the following Monday, and today 14/02 despite the fact that I am paying off my bill as discussed last Friday.
    It's nothing short of harassment and bullying.

Agreed, i got 4 calls in 1 days for a bill i had already paid.
    Got the same answer when i complained, if you only paid earlier you wouldn't be in this mess. Regardless adopting a debt collection approach to customers after 14 days is overkill.
    Electric irelands billing systems must be in a mess, and they clearly outsource some of their call centre work to companies who dont have access to real time information.
    C'mon Electric Ireland, customers deserver better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I always pay my bill on a WEEKLY bases either it be a tenner or a fifty or whatever it is but its always paid before the next bill is out..

This 14 days sh1t and then start cold calling their customers is a bad way of doing business. If you dont want my custom well then thats fine I'll be off..

If you dont like people not paying before their 14 day deadline well why dont ya's put in token meters for everyone????? and then there would be no need for a call center!! less jobs, money saved!

So the next time that ye ring me on your private numbers I gonna say to words and hang up like i did today.

cop on to yourselfs

• Company Representative Posts: 23 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Orla

Hi Roy Rodgers,

Electric Ireland's credit terms are that bills must be paid in full within 14 days- (See credit terms.)

If you need to pay weekly, this can be facilitated by setting up an instalment plan whereby an agreed amount is paid each week. If you wish to avail of this service you would need to contact us. Our contact details are found here.

Pay-as-you-go meters can also be requested, your eligibility is assessed here however.

We also welcome prepayments, that is where a customer would have a credit on their account before their bill issues and in some cases the bill will issue with a credit balance on it.

I hope this answers your concerns.

Regards,
    Orla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Why not use local numbers and not 1850 numbers do you not make enough money from your energy services, do you really need the revenue from the calls as well.

Hi Hootanany,

Electric Ireland's contact numbers are locall numbers. 6.6 cent for landline, 36 cent for mobile - irrespective of how long the call takes.

Regards,
    Una

Could not give 01 number for your customers.

Hi Hootanany,

Here is the landline number if you do not wish to phone the 1850 one: (01) 8529534.

Regards,
    Una

Hi Hootanany,

Here is the landline number if you do not wish to phone the 1850 one: (01) 8529534.

Regards,
    Una

Thanks Una

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Just got my third phone call. 2 Withheld numbers and a privately blocked number asking me for private details. The most backward conversation humanly possible.

I'm ringing you about something here but I can't tell you what it is, give me your personal details and I'll tell you then.

I'm fuming, Eircom representatives; Under the data protection act can I not ask you to remove my mobile number?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 antaibhse

I too would like to know ,within my rights of the data protection act can I request that Electric Ireland desist from using my phone number to harrass me with private questions that are not going to be answered.And using the data protection act as a cover to tell me what I already know.I too have contacted the data protection office and have been given the same information that nowhere in that act does it compel an Irish citizen to give over personnel information to anyone.Bad practice,bad practice.
    I now have written to your company ,under the same data protection act,asking you to desist from contacting me by phone and to use my postal adress for all further communications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Edit: My dad used my account to post a message without telling me, so I just set up an account for him and posted it under his username (Willie Hamill).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Willie Hamill

This is a message I sent to Electric Ireland on the 28/03/12
    To Whom it May Concern
    I have been trying to SWITCH since Sat last but to no avail.
    When I complete my details on the YOUR HOME section I am unable to continue. I am continually returned to this page.
    On Sat last I left my phone number to be contacted. It took till yesterday afternoon for someone to call me with a blocked number.
    I explained my problem to them and explained that I was in work and was unable to read my meters.
    They arranged for me to get a call back after 7pm. I got a call back from a blocked number again, and was advised by your agent that there was a problem with the network register.
    They offered to take my details over the Phone. I declined this offer because of the blocked number. I didn't know who I might be talking to and I wasn't going to give my personal details.
    They told me that the problem would be sorted later yesterday and I would have no problem registering on line today.
    Once again this evening I am having the same problem.
    I wasted 2 calls and got no satisfaction. I was told to contact customers services and I would get help from them.
    At this stage I feel like giving up with SWITCHING It's not worth the effort.
    It comes across as being unprofessional.

This is the reply I got back on 03/04/12
    Thank you for your email.
    For this query we have assigned tracking number 000000
    I apologise for any inconvenience caused to in relation to this matter.
    I have forwarded your email to a representative in our Sales Department who can advise you about our current price plans for residential Customers. They will revert to you shortly regarding switching your account.
    For reference their number is 1850 30 50 90 and email address is sales@electricireland.ie
    If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to help.
    Georgina
    Customer Care Team
    Electric Ireland

This is the email I got from the Residential Sales team on 3/4/12
    Thank you for your email.
    I understand that you are having no end of problems trying to switch over to us. I can see how frustrating this must be for you and I am sorry.
    I cannot explain why you were not able to apply via our website. I have forwarded your email internally to the relevant personnel for them to look into.
    To go forward, you could send your details by email to me if you know what price plan you want to choose.
    If you decide to switch your account(s) over to Electric Ireland we need the information below:
    1. If you have had an ESB account before, the account number.
    2. Full contact details, bank account details, date of birth (for data protection)
    3. MPRN (meter point reference number) - on a previous electricity bill
    4. A current electricity meter reading
    5. GPRN (gas point reference number) – on a previous gas bill
    6. A current gas meter reading
    Under new regulations, we need to tell you this:
    Your current supplier will tell us if you are in arrears for more than 250 euro (the current level set by the CER under new regulations).
    If we decide not to go on with the switch because of outstanding arrears with your current supplier, we will tell you in writing.
    Under the new regulations, you will need to agree with this before we can go ahead.
    We will also need you to accept our terms before we can proceed.
    Once we have your information and instruction to proceed, we take care of the switch process. You do not have to contact your current energy supplier.
    Again please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience, we take pride in ensuring our customer's satisfaction and I am sorry that we failed to provide you with the service you expect.
    If you have any questions, need to know anything please do get back to me and I'll do whatever I can to assist.
    Tracy
    Residential Sales Team
    Electric Ireland

You don't seem to understand the importance of security and privacy when it comes to peoples details.
    To ask some one to forward their bank, home, phone etc details in an email is beyond belief?
    At this stage and because of your blocked phone number I wont be taking advantage of your current offer of reduced bills.
    It reminds of the email I got telling me that I had won €800,000 and all I had to do was forward €10,000 (admin expenses) and my bank details?

I tried again to day to register on line, still no joy. Your system is still not working.

Sincerely FRUSTRATED willie

Hi Willie,

Sending private message to you now.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Firstly I understand that all bills must be paid within 14 days - would be interesting to see the conversion on this but thats the company business not mine.

Secondly My Bill is overdue as I am sure I am not the only one, The amount is not huge but still to be fair to the Company its owed.

However twice a day ESB ring my Fiancee from a private number and she can not answer due to been in work.
    Even if she was not in work she would not answer due to past bad experiences from private numbers.

Heres the interesting thing, Laws are in place in this country regarding to Companies calling people such law been the "telecommunications act" and my opinion is that Electric Ireland are skating pretty close to the line regarding their Follow up phonecalls due to a outstanding bill.

When Banks are owed money do they keep callin? Nope they write letters. Why? Because thats how you run a Business.
    What Electric Ireland is doing causes unnesseary stress, upset and worry to people by constantly calling and they add insult to injury by doing this from a private number.

The Best way to eliminate stress is to eliminate the cause that being switch company to one who doesnt carry on like a bunch of debt collectors.

I would also wonder how much money is spent on these "phonecalls" over the course of a billing period? My guess is it would cost less to send automated letters and than maybe pass the savings on to the consumer?

I am not having a go at the Customer Service agent who is faced with the awfull task of having to read complaint after complaint, day in , day out.
    I am having a go at the Suits who sit in the office deciding how to add more upset to peoples lifes , I hope this will make it to them but I wont hold my breath.

antaibhse wrote: »
    I too would like to know ,within my rights of the data protection act can I request that Electric Ireland desist from using my phone number to harrass me with private questions that are not going to be answered.And using the data protection act as a cover to tell me what I already know.I too have contacted the data protection office and have been given the same information that nowhere in that act does it compel an Irish citizen to give over personnel information to anyone.Bad practice,bad practice.
    I now have written to your company ,under the same data protection act,asking you to desist from contacting me by phone and to use my postal adress for all further communications.

Here, here! The Telecommunications act also covers this, I hope you registered the letter because when they call you again I would be popping myself down to the courts and giving them the wake up call they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Firstly I understand that all bills must be paid within 14 days - would be interesting to see the conversion on this but thats the company business not mine.

Secondly My Bill is overdue as I am sure I am not the only one, The amount is not huge but still to be fair to the Company its owed.

However twice a day ESB ring my Fiancee from a private number and she can not answer due to been in work.
    Even if she was not in work she would not answer due to past bad experiences from private numbers.

Heres the interesting thing, Laws are in place in this country regarding to Companies calling people such law been the "telecommunications act" and my opinion is that Electric Ireland are skating pretty close to the line regarding their Follow up phonecalls due to a outstanding bill.

When Banks are owed money do they keep callin? Nope they write letters. Why? Because thats how you run a Business.
    What Electric Ireland is doing causes unnesseary stress, upset and worry to people by constantly calling and they add insult to injury by doing this from a private number.

The Best way to eliminate stress is to eliminate the cause that being switch company to one who doesnt carry on like a bunch of debt collectors.

I would also wonder how much money is spent on these "phonecalls" over the course of a billing period? My guess is it would cost less to send automated letters and than maybe pass the savings on to the consumer?

I am not having a go at the Customer Service agent who is faced with the awfull task of having to read complaint after complaint, day in , day out.
    I am having a go at the Suits who sit in the office deciding how to add more upset to peoples lifes , I hope this will make it to them but I wont hold my breath.

Banks are a good example of how to run a business and collect debt? :pac: And banks do make calls when there are outstanding amounts! And they are just as demanding for their money and they charge arrears as well! If you don't want to be upset and want to avoid stress and worry, why not just pay the bill on time? You get two full weeks to pay. When you go shopping for food, do they give you two weeks to pay?

token101 wrote: »
    Banks are a good example of how to run a business and collect debt? :pac: And banks do make calls when there are outstanding amounts! And they are just as demanding for their money and they charge arrears as well! If you don't want to be upset and want to avoid stress and worry, why not just pay the bill on time? You get two full weeks to pay. When you go shopping for food, do they give you two weeks to pay?

Do I get two weeks to pay for my food? If I wanted food on credit I would use a credit card but I dont I use cash!
    Banks: They dont call twice a day from a blocked number!
    Electric Ireland provide a service by doing so they need to suck it up that people pay late sometimes, Personally It doesn't cause me stress but there are people out there who are upset by it, I suppose you probably going to suggest that if they Cant pay then they shouldnt use?
    Bank loans are a choice - Heating and electricity is not!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

I just got a call from this number too. Despite the fact that we pay the bill weekly (granted, there are arrears). I work part time for really very little money. I've explained this in the past yet not a single damn is given, it seems.

Cheers for the extra stress, folks. Just what I needed.

Hi TheVandal,

Sorry to read of your situation. We fully understand that many people are not always in a position to pay their bill by the due date, despite their best efforts. An alternative arrangement needs to be made though, in order to update the system and eliminate "Overdue" reminder calls. Paying bills partially, while clearly indicative of the customer doing their best, will still cause the system to highlight the bill being overdue, unless there is information inputted to indicate that the customer has come to an arrangement to clear the bill at an alternative date.

We would recommend private messaging us here on Boards your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full, as well as either the contact telephone number on your account or your date of birth, and we can see what installment plan options there would be for you.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 BigBadDom

REgardless of whether the number comes up or not, when someone rings me, they should know who they are talking to, therefore, it's idiotic for the first question to be 'confirm your details'. Who do you think you are calling?! Call me up asking that and you'll be faced with a stale mate, so I'd suggest coming up with another way around it. 

Advertisement