Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I keep my number and get a microsim?

• 06-01-2012 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Thinking about upgrading from the 3GS to the 4S and will need a Vodafone microsim. I'm not super confident about being able to cut my existing SIM card, so is it possible to get a microsim from Vodafone and keep my existing number?

The only microsim's they seem to advertise on their website are for the iPad.

I posted a similar question in the TalkTo Vodafone forum but I suspect I will get a quicker response here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Just go into VF and tell them you want a Micro Sim

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Can I not buy one/get one online?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

G-Money wrote: »
    Can I not buy one/get one online?

Why would you want to do that when they are free instore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're nowhere near a store, you should even be able to ring them and ask them to send one out to you. Then when you receive it, you ring them again and they transfer your number onto the microSim.

kceire wrote: »
    Why would you want to do that when they are free instore?

I don't want to do that.

I know they send out free normal sized SIM cards so I thought perhaps they would do the same for micro-SIM cards, but I didn't know if micro-SIM cards were free.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself a bit, I don't even have a 4S yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I went to a tech shop and they cut my mini-sim into a micro-sim for free with one of them special cutters.
    Mind I did get a 3 euro screen protector at the same time (that turned out to be Chinese crap and didn't even fit but that's another story).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

biko wrote: »
    I went to a tech shop and they cut my mini-sim into a micro-sim for free with one of them special cutters.
    Mind I did get a 3 euro screen protector at the same time (that turned out to be Chinese crap and didn't even fit but that's another story).

Mini-Sim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jenno86 wrote: »
    Mini-Sim?
    Yep, the now-standard SIM size is actually a mini-SIM. The original SIM was credit-card sized - the same size as the huge card that a new SIM comes in and you snap it out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

seamus wrote: »
    Yep, the now-standard SIM size is actually a mini-SIM. The original SIM was credit-card sized - the same size as the huge card that a new SIM comes in and you snap it out of.

Ah right, was thinking that.

Biko, what a hipster.

Just out of curiosity, if I go into a Vodafone store and get my number transferred to a micro-sim, can I still keep using the same number and old sim-card in the 3GS?

I wouldn't be planning on using both at the same time, but if I order a 4S, I'd be thinking of getting the micro-sim and transferring the number ahead of time. But I'd still have to use the 3GS/same number until I got everything setup on the 4S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Just out of curiosity, if I go into a Vodafone store and get my number transferred to a micro-sim, can I still keep using the same number and old sim-card in the 3GS?

I wouldn't be planning on using both at the same time, but if I order a 4S, I'd be thinking of getting the micro-sim and transferring the number ahead of time. But I'd still have to use the 3GS/same number until I got everything setup on the 4S.
    no only one sim can be active

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nope, go in and get the free blank micro sim, but make sure to tell them not to do the number transfer that you will ring customer care when you want it done.

that way you have a micro sim at the ready to use when your new phone arrives.

OR

get a micro sim and micro<normal sim adoptor and use it in your 4GS until the 4 arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Buy a sim cutter off eBay for like 5 euro . That's what I done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement