Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replaced 250G fat with 4GSlim...

Options
  • 06-01-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

my brother's original 360 crashed christmas week and is unrepairable.
    Anyhoos I had advised him to go get a new 250G slim but he has gone and got the 4G slim.

So - what next?
    I had a search on the net and came across one enterprising fellow iwth a hammer who removed his old 20G HDD and inserted it into the slim - but is there an official way of expanding the memory?

Also - what about his gamertag and saves - is the only way to get these onto the new box by using the data transfer cable - and will that even work if he leaves the 4Gig as is?

Other than that anything else he may have to do? I think he let his Gold membership expire so don't believe he has to transfer anything across.

Any advice welcome - well except for telling him to exchange it - he already had it out of the box when he rang :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Taltos wrote: »
    Hi all

my brother's original 360 crashed christmas week and is unrepairable.
    Anyhoos I had advised him to go get a new 250G slim but he has gone and got the 4G slim.

So - what next?
    I had a search on the net and came across one enterprising fellow iwth a hammer who removed his old 20G HDD and inserted it into the slim - but is there an official way of expanding the memory?

Also - what about his gamertag and saves - is the only way to get these onto the new box by using the data transfer cable - and will that even work if he leaves the 4Gig as is?

Other than that anything else he may have to do? I think he let his Gold membership expire so don't believe he has to transfer anything across.

Any advice welcome - well except for telling him to exchange it - he already had it out of the box when he rang :)

AFAIK you can take any 2.5" SATA hard drive up to 250GB and install it into the Slim you'll also need a case which can be bought cheap on eBay.

The old hard drive can be opened fairly easily with torx screwdrivers, then you just take out the 2.5" SATA hdd and put it into the Slim casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Cheers - and if we do that can I assume that nothing else needs to be done with the profiles / game saves?

Taltos wrote: »
    Cheers - and if we do that can I assume that nothing else needs to be done with the profiles / game saves?

If your taking the old hard drive from the casing all your data will be intact, if its a completely new hard drive you need to use the memory management tool on the old Xbox to export your data to a USB flash drive, you would then import this to the Slim using the same tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

This is a video of how to open your old drive

This is a video of how to insert it into your slim YOU DONT NEED A CASE OFF EBAY. THis video shows you how to insert it without any case.

You wont need to do any transferring just pop it in and it will work and will hav all your old saves and DLC on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Yup - the 2nd link is the one I found earlier - nice trick with the hammer - wonder how many folk demagnetised their HDDs with that trick.

Will let my bro know though - he can decide whether or not to buy the holder from ebay - not sure if long term damage will be caused by not using that holder.

Cheers all.

• Advertisement

kirkfx wrote: »
    This is a video of how to open your old drive

This is a video of how to insert it into your slim YOU DONT NEED A CASE OFF EBAY. THis video shows you how to insert it without any case.

You wont need to do any transferring just pop it in and it will work and will hav all your old saves and DLC on it.

If you want to prevent the hard disc from sliding out and smashing on the ground then yes you should get the case the drive bay alone wont keep the 2.5" hdd in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

no need to buy the enclosure, just fold some cardboard to prevent it from wiggling about in there,

i cannot see the hard drive falling out as mentioned by that other guy,
    your choice spend about 20€ on a case or just pop the hard drive in till its connected and pop bits of cardboard or paper to fill the gaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

You can buy these cases cheaply here :
    http://www.geartaker.com/xbox-360-hard-drives-memory-cards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Also remember an unofficial hard drive wont play Original Xbox games (I have no idea why though)

Advertisement