Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corsair Gaming Audio Series CA-HS1 USB Headset

Options
  • 06-01-2012 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

So I'm looking for a basic USB headset for teamspeak and SC2 in general. I've been using my iPod earphones for too long it's beginning to make me cringe, lol.

Anyway I came across these on NCIX just now for a reduced price and I'm just wondering do they fit the bill of basic gaming headset? Headset here. I don't want to dish out $100+ at the moment because I have other plans in the next couple of months that I'm saving up for.

Are these a decent price?

Oh, I also play on a laptop so I just want to confirm that if I get a USB headset it will auto-disable the built-in laptop microphone if I plug it in or will I have to do it manually?

~Sinister

PS: Think this is the right thread?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Why USB out of curiosity? No mic in on the laptop or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Yeah it does but I live with my girlfriend so it picks up everything in the room -- all the background noise -- everything. I also play with earphones in so I just want something that is relatively comfortable on my ears for prolonged periods of time.

For example if my GF is watching a movie or a TV show I don't want the people I'm talking to hearing it (although she, generally, listens to it fairly low and a few feet away it's still audible). I've also got a few complaints that the general quality of the laptop microphone isn't very good (which is, of course, no surprise). Furthermore, she's often on Skype (we don't live in Ireland anymore) and if I can muffle any of the sound from that to hear mostly my own voice with only her voice as a low background noise I'll take that -- my microphone now picks up EVERYTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

By mike in he means a socket to plug a microphone jack into. The same size as the headphone jack but usually pink and beside the headphone socket.

daz801 wrote: »
    By mike in he means a socket to plug a microphone jack into. The same size as the headphone jack but usually pink and beside the headphone socket.

Oh, sorry, I misread. Yeah, there is but tbh I prefer USB and I don't want to have 2 more wires (mic + headphone) on top my keyboard, mouse, iPod, phone and whatever else.

Well any gaming headset will have a single wire splitting into two wires at the end for the two ports. So it's not necessary to go the USB route and it's cheaper usually if you don't.

I've only used Steelseries headsets for any extended period and find them fairly good. You'll get better audio quality with headphones from an audio company though usually so one of the Sennheiser headsets might be worth a look but look for reviews from audio sites first. Ignore reviews from gaming sites. If you go Steelseries the Siberia V2 headset is decent enough and not too pricey around £60.

Really this comes down to what your budget is. If you want to go cheap as possible I'd recommend Koss Porta Pro headphones combined with a separate mic. You could do this kind of combo for £30 or thereabouts. It's two wires yeah but really that's far less annoying than it sounds when you actually get used to it. This will give you good sound quality for your money and the option of a mic when you need it. It's also the most upgradable since you can upgrade either route, or add a usb soundcard or whatever down the line if you want better sound, a better mic or Dolby Headphone etc.

If you're willing the spend the money (£140) the Sennheiser PC 360 has a very good rep.

Guide to other headphones here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-czs-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone (FPS focused!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 D'Artagnan

I have a variation of these at work. Creative Lab gaming headset and I find them to be very good. I'm not an audiophile but the sound quality is excellent to me and they fit around your ears so it blocks out most outside noise even at low volumes which is great in a busy office.

And they are USB and once plugged in they become the sound card for your laptop as far as Windows is concerned.

Gonna get them. Found a few people over at teamliquid.net who use them and they are happy with it.

Cheers.

Gonna get them. Found a few people over at teamliquid.net who use them and they are happy with it.

Cheers.

One word of caution about Creative, their drivers can be buggy and install a lot of bloatware that can take over things you don't want them to. You are playing SC2 so you don't need any of the enhancements that the Creative Drives give (they're an FPS thing) so you might be better off letting Windows use a generic USB Soundcard driver rather than the Creative drivers to avoid potential issues. They might not give you any problems but eh, not worth the potential hassle imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Take a look at the Madusa NX 5:1

Thats what im using for BF3 and its awesome for ventrillo...
    A good few of the lads in the clan im in are useing it and there more than happy wit it..

Advertisement