Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Household Charge in , TV licence out .

• 06-01-2012 12:55pm

I have made the decision since this new household charge and this year being a difficult one , i have to make cutbacks. So i am pulling out my UPC as to be honest i dont use it. I work in Television, when i get home the last thing i want to see is Television.
    What do i have to do to not pay this charge. The terms and conditions are very vague and say if i have the means to pick up TV channels i must pay. But at the same time i am not going to pay for something i am not using .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bop1977

Get rid of all your tv's. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I have made the decision since this new household charge and this year being a difficult one , i have to make cutbacks. So i am pulling out my UPC as to be honest i dont use it. I work in Television, when i get home the last thing i want to see is Television.
    What do i have to do to not pay this charge. The terms and conditions are very vague and say if i have the means to pick up TV channels i must pay. But at the same time i am not going to pay for something i am not using .

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

get rid of any equipment that can be used to connect to a tv service and your tv of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

More whining about the recession Miriam?

get rid of any equipment that can be used to connect to a tv service and your tv of course.

Thats what i am hoping, i will probably get TV again in a few years. So was hoping to keep the TV. Also use it for xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

It's not just UPC you have to remove..

I call dibs on your tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

More whining about the recession Miriam?

aaah jaysus......but I have 58 million kids to feed :(

(cant a girl have a little moan now and then)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

To avoid having to pay for the TV licence, you have to make an appointment with an RTE approved surgeon, who will inject concrete into your ears and then poke your eyes out with a stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

ejmaztec wrote: »
    To avoid having to pay for the TV licence, you have to make an appointment with an RTE approved surgeon, who will inject concrete into your ears and then poke your eyes out with a stick.

christmas cutbacks

they use an icing bag and nozzle to both inject and poke your eyes out

its a messy process tbh.....thats why most of us put up with RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Are them flaps still skypeing each other Miriam?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I think we're all going to need to become crafty.

Get rid any outside evidence such as a dish.

Keep your tv though and close your curtains.

Phone the tv lincense office/whereever and tell them you got rid of tv.

You are under no obligation to invite anyone who comes knocking at your door into your home unless if they have a garda with a search warrant with them.
    You could also hide your tv and other equipment (dvd player, games consoles) in the attic or whereever or ask a friend to mind them for you. Phone up the tv license office and invite them to visit.

Very clear evidence and 2 very valid reasons that RTE are money grabbing thieving b@stards includes:
    (1) Pat Kenny's 600,000 PA income, that is 50,000 a month or 12,500 a week. Taxes, levies and charges would come out from that but he would still be taking home very generous pay.
    (2) come west west along the road on friday evenings at 7.30 something clearly produced in the 70s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You could actually keep the UPC, so long as you get rid of your TV.

For xbox, replace the TV with a decent sized computer monitor. That way you can still play it, and stay within the borders of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Less TV and more books makes your brain happy.

syklops wrote: »
    You could actually keep the UPC, so long as you get rid of your TV.

For xbox, replace the TV with a decent sized computer monitor. That way you can still play it, and stay within the borders of the law.

will give the TV to my parents .

Saying that any monitor is capable of receiving a TV signal. My phone is capable of receiving a TV signal. Being held for ransom on this.

By the way, is there a link between getting UPC and a TV licence. As i ordered UPC, it was in a week and my first 2 weeks with it , i was visited 4 times by the TV licence people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Or man up and not pay either of them?

will give the TV to my parents .

Saying that any monitor is capable of receiving a TV signal. My phone is capable of receiving a TV signal. Being held for ransom on this.

By the way, is there a link between getting UPC and a TV licence. As i ordered UPC, it was in a week and my first 2 weeks with it , i was visited 4 times by the TV licence people.

A computer monitor is not capable of recieving a TV signal and you do not require a TV License to own one.

When you say, your phone is capable of receiving a TV signal what do you mean? Does it have an actual TV tuner?

A computer monitor is not capable of recieving a TV signal and you do not require a TV License to own one.

When you say, your phone is capable of receiving a TV signal what do you mean? Does it have an actual TV tuner?

a cardboard box is capable of receiving signal if you put the correct pieces in it :P

Its a little vague. Do you need a licence for the receiver then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

this guy works in television !! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Yes they share info on all new customers and address´s,as is same when you buy a new tv and register warranty with manaufacturer useing your personal detail´s,another form of big brother.
    Answere to dre as in drey post(forget to quote)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

amacca wrote: »
    (cant a girl have a little moan now and then)

i'll give you a big moan every night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes they share info on all new customers and address´s,as is same when you buy a new tv and register warranty with manaufacturer useing your personal detail´s,another form of big brother.
    Answere to dre as in drey post(forget to quote)

This is not true and would be illegal under the Data Protection act.

listermint wrote: »
    This is not true and would be illegal under the Data Protection act.[/QUOTE
    Yes it is illegal and yes it is true,this goes on all the time across all bussiness´s.The problem is proving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Could be worse. In the UK, every time you buy a TV, the shop that you buy the TV from ask you for your address and postcode. They are compelled to report the sale to the TV Licensing crowd, after which you get a very threatening letter saying that TV inspectors will be dispatched to your house, unless you hand over the blood money to keep the BBC afloat.

Just get a Saorview box, and won't leave a paper trail (no monthly bills). But then again you'll have to put up with Miriam moaning about the recession (aka Primetime).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

What happens if you don't have a TV but do have a PC or laptop that uses UPC? You know with RTé player and all that?

a cardboard box is capable of receiving signal if you put the correct pieces in it :P

Its a little vague. Do you need a licence for the receiver then ?

Did you read the citizens advice link?

Yes, while radio waves are all around us, and the fillings in my teeth may be picking up euronews right now, I am not expected to have a TV license for them.

If you have a computer and buy a TV tuning card, you must get a license for the tuner.

If you get a cardboard box and put a TV receiver into it, you will need a license for the receiver, not for the cardboard box.

brembo26 wrote: »
    What happens if you don't have a TV but do have a PC or laptop that uses UPC? You know with RTé player and all that?

You do not need a licence to look at RTE player on a computer.

A television license is for any equipment which is capable of receiving a television signal - not television content.

If you have the RTE app for your phone but do not have a TV then you do not need a license.

You need a TV licence for a Television set.

According to the Broadcasting Act of 2009, the law which covers the TV licence a TV set is defined as:
    “ television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

"...capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception". This means a device which is capable of recieving and displaying the signal which is broadcast through the airwaves.

It does not cover monitors, phones or computers.

3 months back i threw out upc and put in saorveiw and a trax dish,best thing i ever did no more dealing with upc and the only bill i have is the tv license every year.:D

Just get a Saorview box, and won't leave a paper trail (no monthly bills). But then again you'll have to put up with Miriam moaning about the recession (aka Primetime).

I am actually not trying to cheat the system. I dont watch RTE i cant stand it. Right now in work i have 7 TV's around me,so when i get home i dont want to watch anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Analogue is supposedly being switched off in October, I'd say that will cull a lot of TV licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You pay your TV License ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Do what I did, give your tele to a boards member and buy yourself a nice HD 3D projector. One of my walls is covered in displays not one of them capable of receiving a TV broadcast yet I watch a load of TV content on them through the internet. In your face Mr government, indeed in all of your faces and so on..

ScumLord wrote: »
    Do what I did, give your tele to a boards member and buy yourself a nice HD 3D projector. One of my walls is covered in displays not one of them capable of receiving a TV broadcast yet I watch a load of TV content on them through the internet. In your face Mr government, indeed in all of your faces and so on..

Thats actually a really good idea.

The Projector i mean .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

3 months back i threw out upc and put in saorveiw and a trax dish,best thing i ever did no more dealing with upc and the only bill i have is the tv license every year.:D

You don't need A SAORVIEW box, just an aerial/dish and digital TV. :)

Galtee wrote: »
    You don't need A SAORVIEW box, just an aerial/dish and digital TV. :)

Where did he say "box"?

Where did he say "box"?

He said he put in SAORVIEW. Which I took to mean SAORVIEW box as he didn't say he's receiving SAORVIEW.

• Advertisement

Galtee wrote: »
    He said he put in SAORVIEW. Which I took to mean SAORVIEW box as he didn't say he's receiving SAORVIEW.

So you just made an assumption and made it up as you went along after that, telling him he didn't need something that he didn't say he had or was going to get. Ok, thanks.

So you just made an assumption and made it up as you went along after that, telling him he didn't need something that he didn't say he had or was going to get. Ok, thanks.

How else can you put in SAORVIEW? The only physical entity that can be put anywhere is the BOX. And i didn't make it up, you don't need a SAORVIEW BOX to receive SAORVIEW. Either way I wasn't telling him, I was merely pointing it out and I'm perfectly entitled to do that. Thanks.

I thik we're talking at cross-purposes here. Anyhoo....

I put up the aerial and my sony tv is saorveiw friendly so no box.;)

I put up the aerial and my sony tv is saorveiw friendly so no box.;)

The "box", or tuner, to be more accurate, is built into your TV, so you would be liaible to pay the TV licence in respect of this in-built tuner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Just so you know when you get rid of your TV the licence inspectors will haunt the f88k out of you for the next year, my brother moved into a house with no TV, he streams what he wants on his laptop and he is plauged by the ba5tards.

FOR DOES NOT COMPUTE:(

FOR DOES NOT COMPUTE:(

Just sayin' :confused:

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Just so you know when you get rid of your TV the licence inspectors will haunt the f88k out of you for the next year, my brother moved into a house with no TV, he streams what he wants on his laptop and he is plauged by the ba5tards.
    I haven't been, I got a few letters "to the resident" when I moved in to my new place but I ignored them and they stopped. The last one was kindly asking me to tell them if I had a TV or not and to inform them if I didn't, but I wasn't about to fall for that one.

I haven't been, I got a few letters "to the resident" when I moved in to my new place but I ignored them and they stopped. The last one was kindly asking me to tell them if I had a TV or not and to inform them if I didn't, but I wasn't about to fall for that one.

If you didnt have a TV why would you not just declare that you dont :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

dont answer your door

Just sayin' :confused:

I pay my tv license but now i don´t have to pay or deal with UPC and their ulcer inducing service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Shanegggg

TheZohan wrote: »
    Analogue is supposedly being switched off in October, I'd say that will cull a lot of TV licences.

You make a good point.

What's going to happen when we switch to digital at the end of October?

You can have all the analogue TVs you want and they're technically not able to pick up a TV signal any more! :D

Problem solved! ;)

If you didnt have a TV why would you not just declare that you dont :confused:
    Your a part of their database if you reply, they'll know there's someone living there and they will start hassling you to make sure you don't have a TV. As it stands now I don't exist to them.

Your a part of their database if you reply, they'll know there's someone living there and they will start hassling you to make sure you don't have a TV. As it stands now I don't exist to them.

Sounds like you exist to me. Why else do you keep getting letters?

Sign the declaration that you have no TV and they leave you alone. Its very simple.

• Advertisement
Advertisement