Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth registration?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Just wondering. I know that parents usually at some point register a new born child with the State but does the hospital make any sort of registration with the State of that birth at the time of delivery?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭KayTee

Some hospitals get you to full out a pre-registration form before you are discharged, and send it to the registrar. It shortens the process when you then go to register your baby within 3 months of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

With all mine i filled out the forms in the hospital and then waited for the letter to say i could now register my child. It was nearly 3 months with my 3rd but only a month with the last wee lad.. he's just coming up on 3 months now ;) Time on the birth was registered on the birth cert for the last 2 the others were the old form of cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Holles street send certain info from mothers registration details to the registrar usually within 14 days of the birth.
    I just had to call the registrars office to make sure they had gotten the details and then went in to finish the registration.
    So I suppose it's like there's a partial registration done... Details like my name, address, DOB, place and time of birth of baby, were all already on the system. Although he was "baby liliq" whereas we were giving him my partners surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Just wondering. I know that parents usually at some point register a new born child with the State but does the hospital make any sort of registration with the State of that birth at the time of delivery?

Thanks for reading.

Different hospitals do it differently, in Galway, the register actually has an office on the maternity ward, and have the option of registering before you leave hospital, we did this with all 3 of ours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The birth is fully registered in Holles St only if the parents are married. If unmarried you need to go in to register. I think most other hospitals are the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was pretty sure none of the hospitals do registrations anymore.

Here is the official info - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/after_your_baby_is_born/registering_birth_your_baby.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Yeah in drogheda the info is put into the system and its sent to the registrar... they then issue you an invitation to register the baby... if only one parent turns up only one signature goes on the cert, if not married the dad needs to bring in ID and if you were married in the location where you are registering the baby you won't need to bring a marriage cert.. otherwise you bring it..its pretty straightforward;)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I was pretty sure none of the hospitals do registrations anymore.

Here is the official info - http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/after_your_baby_is_born/registering_birth_your_baby.html

Thank you for link. I note that in the second sentence it says that registration is a legal requirement in Ireland.
    Assuming that all statute laws are available on line now, by any chance does anyone reading have a link to that written law so that I can have a look at it. Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Well, here's the link to the Civil Registration Act 2004 - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0003/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Would that be a civil registation act?
    There's a link on the citizensinformation link to a civil registration act, but i'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for :o

Edit: Just got in there before me January :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Thank you for the link. Seems there is a 'statute' law requiring registration. I thought that it may be optional.
    I'm just curious about the claims I've heard that the governments uses these registrations (us) as some sort of collateral bond to secure money/loans from the world banks etc. Seems it might be true according to these:

http://freemanireland.ning.com/forum/topics/bond-paper-birth-certificate?xg_source=activity

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6j9wuI6znU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Oh god... not this Freeman crap... there's a thread for you in Legal Discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement