Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Schools in Skerries

Options
  • 06-01-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

I have narrowed down three Skerries' National schools which seemed very good; however, my searches with the the sites:

Rollercoaster.ie
    Mumsnet
    Schooldays.ie
    Magicmum

don't really give me any solid reviews or parental experiences.

The Schools I am interested in are: Educate Together, Holmpatrick and St Patricks Junior - although it seems quite large a school

Are any of you parents with kids in National School in Skerries? What are your experiences, and can you recommend any schools?

If you would prefer not to give your opinion on-line, I would be happy to hear from you via PM

Thank you for your time Folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's also Realt Na Mara & St Mobhi's (Milverton).

I went to St Patricks's (quite some time ago now :o) as did my siblings & we all turned out OK (we like to think so anyway). My boys go to St Mobhi's (it is a bit outside the town) & they love it.

I would say that all of the local schools are quite good, each with its own particular strong points.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

My daughter is at St Patricks, she loves it and I would have no hesitation in recommending it. However from talking to other parents I would say that we are very lucky with the standard of all our national schools, so you can't really go wrong

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My kids are at Milverton and the Educate together in Kelly's Bay

Milverton has very much a rural feel to it - it is a small school with limited resources/faclities, but offers a more "personal" touch. I am not sure they would have much capacity to take in additional kids from outside their catchment area though, which is something to bear in mind when considering where to live.

The Educate Together School only opened about 3 years ago, and benefits from everything being new, with more facilities, a good Parents Association and very positive ethos

I would recommend either of these schools, but they are quite different in many ways, and it can be a matter of "horses for courses" particularly with Milverton

As midonogh says, all the schools in the area are of high standard with excellent reputations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Thank you all.

I have to look for a house to rent but need to enroll the kids now as it is the time to do so for September's intake. One of my kids will start junior infants in September and the older one will join first class on the 1st of May, going into second class in Sept'.

I have already put their names down for Educate Together but am worried in case we do not get a place.. and think it wise to consider other schools too. I am very happy to read from you that all the National schools in Skerries have a very good reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A word of warning about Milverton - I'm pretty sure that some of the parents cheat in the parents' sack race on Games Day. Eh, Beasty? :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I went to St. Patrick's, had a positive experience there. Of course, I'd say gone are the blackboards and on with the interactive whiteboards...lucky kids!

Make sure you cast a careful eye over the enrolment policies of the schools that you're looking at. Good luck.

Black Oil wrote: »
    Make sure you cast a careful eye over the enrolment policies of the schools that you're looking at. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip Black Oil.

Do the schools' enrollment policies largely differ from each other? Are some enrollment policies more difficult/tricky?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They can vary, though I don't know about the Skerries ones in particular.

Some will take applications even if the child is a few months old, others not before the age of three. Other factors would be kids in the parish being given first priority, children of staff, children with siblings already in the school and kids outside the parish. Policies tend to be online, so have a search. If you're in the parish you may need proof of address and I'd say all schools look for birth certs/similar supporting documentation.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A word of warning about Milverton - I'm pretty sure that some of the parents cheat in the parents' sack race on Games Day. Eh, Beasty? :p
    ... and you still lost The Hill Billy:pac:

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip Black Oil.

Do the schools' enrollment policies largely differ from each other? Are some enrollment policies more difficult/tricky?
    Enrollment policies:
    Skerries Educate Together
    St Patrick's
    Holmpatrick and Milverton both have websites, but I can't see their enrollment policies listed

The recent opening of the Educate Together school has taken a lot of pressure off the local junior schools. I know St Patrick's and Milverton used to have waiting lists for children not automatically qualifying (by reference to location or siblings already in attendance), but suspect they are much shorter now

• Advertisement

Thanks Beasty.

I could not see the enrollment policies either. I rang Holmpatrick today - they are the only ones back early after the holidays - but no answer. Will ring round Monday and get talking to the schools, find out about enrollment and waiting numbers.

I sort of thought that if I get our older one in on the 1st of May, outside of the busy enrollment times, that might help secure a place for the wee one in the same school starting junior infants in September. However, I am not sure if the sibling rule applies in Ireland as much as it does in the UK and in Switzerland.

Crossing my fingers here that I am successful in getting our two into a happy, good, supportive, TLC school

.. am thanking the heavens, mind, that Skerries is full of schools like that :)

Advertisement