Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment/Contracting Agencies

Options
  • 06-01-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I realise this might be more suited to the Work & Jobs area, but I thought that this group would provide better advice.

I'm considering moving jobs this year (I'm a .Net contractor). What IT Recruitment/Contracting agencies would you recommend? I'm looking for a company that are willing to spend some time finding a role that I like, rather than one that will force me into the first interview that comes along in order to make the easy euros. There seems to be a lot in Dublin, so it can be difficult to see who's good to work with.

Thanks for any help. PMs welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Just go onto the main it job sites (monster, cwjobs, etc) and fire off applications for the kind of stuff you want. If your CV is good agents will then ring you back and register you with their database etc. Let them do the work for you. No need to pick a single agency to deal with, the only people that will recommend this are agents themselves. Don't believe a word these guys say, most of their pay is on a commission basis.

If you do actually find a decent agent then by all means stick with them. They all hop between agencies a lot, and the agencies are always merging/rebranding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

A couple of little bits of advice that I base only on my own experience of dealing with agencies and it may not reflect yours or others views of agencies.

Avoid the agencies who advertise obvious fake jobs, like 8 million euro a second for sitting on the toilet and the toilet is in the Bahamas and they'll provide accomodation and Ms. Salpa is your personal maid and it's so hot she can't wear clothes and when you turn on the taps baked alaska comes out etc. These are just trying to get your CV in the door so they can go and negotiate based on their magical book of talent and to me this underhanded approach would be indicative of how you should expect them to operate once they get your CV.

Stipulate to them that you do NOT under any circumstances want them to forward your CV onto any company without checking with you first. I know it seems bizarre but some agencies do actually do this.

I would only deal with one at a time for simplicity but that's just down to me. It can be quite stressful but either way, the best of luck.

Advertisement