Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission for Hostel

Options
  • 06-01-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

I'm looking at turning a vacant retail space into a hostel but I'm not sure what type of planning I need.

Also, it's a deep, long building, in the middle of town, so there are not a lot of windows the further back you go. Does anybody know if it is required by law to have natural light or a window in every room?

My architect has just finished the site survey, and he still doesn't know the answers to these questions, so I'm anxious; and whilst I'm sure he'll find out soon, I just thought to come here and see if anyone here had the answers.

Hopefully some of you know! I highly appreciate any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You will certainly need to apply for planning as a hostel. This is a bit different from a hotel, in that there will be more bed spaces/square foot and will involve some sort of development. It could be quite complicated. I would suggest your architect leads the process, or else get a planning consultant.

As far as I know, there is no requirement to have a window. However, you do have to have fire exits and ventilation. Your architect will be able to confirm this.

I think there are certainly too many hostel spaces.

If you have a good enough location, I would look at the easyhotel model. These are basically very small rooms in very good locations, generally without windows.

I would love to open an easyhotel type operation in Dublin. However, I think there are too many hotel beds in Dublin at the moment to make it viable if you don't already have a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Nokia08

Oops repeat post sorry! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Nokia08

Hey Great news,

Hope it works out for you!, A little tip, If you haven't done so already. Contact the local tourism information point and see if they have any funding available for your area (If in the country). I know that In my area they begged for places to be turned around into hostels etc. And that was during the summer. From the top of my head I think there was funding to equal half the build cost or renovation cost up to ~439K.

They'll also get you up to-date.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭00011000

You will certainly need to apply for planning as a hostel. This is a bit different from a hotel, in that there will be more bed spaces/square foot and will involve some sort of development. It could be quite complicated. I would suggest your architect leads the process, or else get a planning consultant.

As far as I know, there is no requirement to have a window. However, you do have to have fire exits and ventilation. Your architect will be able to confirm this.

I think there are certainly too many hostel spaces.

If you have a good enough location, I would look at the easyhotel model. These are basically very small rooms in very good locations, generally without windows.

I would love to open an easyhotel type operation in Dublin. However, I think there are too many hotel beds in Dublin at the moment to make it viable if you don't already have a property.

In my town, there is only 1 hostel, so there is definitely room in the market here.

The easy hotel model looks interesting, but I feel I have more to offer in the hostel sector and it would also appear to be a lot more lucrative as there is no shortage of hotel rooms where I'm planning on opening.

I also prefer the communal aspect of a hostel, which you don't get in a hotel.

I appreciate your comments and advice. :)

Nokia08 wrote: »
    Hey Great news,

Hope it works out for you!, A little tip, If you haven't done so already. Contact the local tourism information point and see if they have any funding available for your area (If in the country). I know that In my area they begged for places to be turned around into hostels etc. And that was during the summer. From the top of my head I think there was funding to equal half the build cost or renovation cost up to ~439K.

They'll also get you up to-date.

That's an absolutely fantastic idea Nokia08, I'll get getting onto my local tourism information point first thing in the morning! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

iwhat part of the country are you as there are additional quangos in certain areas that can help

kilburn wrote: »
    iwhat part of the country are you as there are additional quangos in certain areas that can help

Setting up in Co. Wexford. Any Quangos that can help there?

Advertisement