Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akumakon 2012 - Galway - 20th-22nd January

Options
  • 06-01-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Gah. Totally forgot/kept putting off posting this.

Akumakon is having is on its second year running now with version 2012 opening its doors in the National University of Ireland Galway on January 20th - that's just over 2 weeks away.

They'll be running a bunch of fighting game events and have recently unveiled their full list:

Super Street Fighter IV AE: Each round is 99 seconds. Each game is best of three rounds. Each set is best of three games.
    After a game, the loser can change their character but the winner must stay with their current character. If the loser does decide to change, the winner can change their Ultra.

Blazblue Continuum Shift 2: Each round is 99 seconds. Each game is best of three rounds. Each set is best of three games.
    After a game, the loser can change their character but the winner must stay with their current character.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl: 4 player Brawl. 5 Stock. 5 minutes. No items. Stage is Final Destination. Meta Knight is banned

Special Retro Event:
    Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Dreamcast):
    Each game is 99 seconds.
    After a game, the loser can change their team but the winner must stay with their current team. If the loser does decide to change, the winner can change their assists.

Visit their site over here: www.akumakon.com

Just to remind y'all, this is an anime convention and a new one at that so games are really not the focus.

This is also on a smaller scale than Eirtakon, but last years was run extremely tightly so if you're up for a bit of an anime/gamey weekend it's definitely worth a gawk.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Weirdly enough it transpires I may be at Akumakon but in a boyfriendular capacity so probably won't be playing FGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Should be there. And eh, it's not like anyone in Ireland plays enough Brawl for Meta Knight to be that much of a threat. But last year they did ban Miltank in their Pokemon thing, just because. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Linoud wrote: »
    But last year they did ban Miltank in their Pokemon thing, just because. :P

Is that the one that just won't die and makes everything take forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Eh, no, there's plenty of pokemon that do that, but Miltank isn't one of them. Just punch that cow. :P But yeah, I'll be there, only really interested in the BB tourney, myself, and maybe the Brawl one, don't play enough of the others. I'll probably enter since I'm there but meh. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Should be there. And eh, it's not like anyone in Ireland plays enough Brawl for Meta Knight to be that much of a threat. But last year they did ban Miltank in their Pokemon thing, just because. :P

I imagine they are grabbing the ruleset from whatever that Smash site is. Good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Orim wrote: »
    I imagine they are grabbing the ruleset from whatever that Smash site is. Good sign.

I was discussing rules for the various tourneys with the games coordinator over the last while so if there's any wrong rules you know who to throw bottles at. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Weirdly enough it transpires I may be at Akumakon but in a boyfriendular capacity so probably won't be playing FGs.

Here, train her onto Team Doomy already :P
    Sairus wrote: »
    I was discussing rules for the various tourneys with the games coordinator over the last while so if there's any wrong rules you know who to throw bottles at. :pac:

You better still be in this country next Eirtakon Sairus... I need someone else to blame if things are wrong :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 CavemanFurby

Good chance that I could be at this! Would be a good laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'll drop along to this. Don't know if I'll play or not, but I'll certainly drop round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

But last year they did ban Miltank in their Pokemon thing, just because. :P

Their Pokemon rules last year were ridiculously silly.

Even with only a shallow passing knowledge of the metagame I could see they made no sense and were based on the opinions of a closed group of friends.

It's probably identical to how some cons banned SF4 Akuma because of his "powerful legs".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Ah GealCon.... Memories.

"THAT STUPID DOUBLE KICK IS OP YO"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

that guy was right about akuma's stupid fast heavy kick tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

hold on wait....pokemon tourny, which game? and damn were the hell was i :mad:

what was it played on? ds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

hold on wait....pokemon tourny, which game? and damn were the hell was i :mad:

what was it played on? ds?

4th Gen, and yeah on DS.

Secret N64 Tournament to be revealed ~ Prepare your anus
    I'm intrigued...

If it's goldeneye or pokemon stadium again heads will ****ing roll.

GET A GOOD GAME.

Yar, 'cause Goldeneye is famously bad.

Info seems a t bit vague on the Akumakon site. Mostly, on the gaming side of things, it just says "Video Games". There's a big list on consoles, but it doesn't say which game is being played on which console.

deathrider wrote: »
    Info seems a t bit vague on the Akumakon site. Mostly, on the gaming side of things, it just says "Video Games". There's a big list on consoles, but it doesn't say which game is being played on which console.

If it just says Video Games then that means casual gaming i.e. you can play whatever game you want on whatever console you want (provided it's free). When a game is listed, it means that's the tournament slot for that game. There should be a mixture of consoles there and it all depends on what copies of the games they have regarding which ones it's played on!

I'm interested to see what's in the Video Games section.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm interested to see what's in the Video Games section.

Generally a multitude of games. At Eirtakon we allow you to play your own games too but I don't know if Akumakon do. Just check with a staff member in the games room before you put your own disc in or whatnot.

Missed this today, wish I coulda made it! Hope it all went well!

Missed this today, wish I coulda made it! Hope it all went well!

It's on tomorrow and sunday too, according to the site.

I've successfully defended my BlazBlue title :) Knocked Joe to losers, beat him grand. Why have the tournament at all? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Joe, why you make me so sad faic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Can't wait to hear Sairus' report on this

Sairus won street fighter... He beat.....

ME in the finals!!!

I made it to an SF finals.

Thats how easy SF is :D

Hadn't played SF since Rupture (give or take) so I lasted all of about fifteen seconds in the tournament today. Wound up spotting an arcade cab with SSFIV:AE on it in another room, and had a blast jamming on that instead.

Wrote a bit of a review on the convention over the weekend:

http://randomselect.ie/index.php/2012/01/25/akumakon-2012-a-review/

• Advertisement

"Unfortunately there was some technical difficulties tuning the Dreamcast into the TVs and the MvC2 tournament was replaced with an Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 event instead."

Subtle sabotage by Sairus is my guess here :P

Advertisement