Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Dell Inspiron 530. Need Advice Please

Options
  • 06-01-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi, I currently have the above mentioned Dell desktop. I'm slowly getting into PC gaming a little more, mostly play MMO's but might plan to expand on that.

I'm currently playing Star Wars: The Old Republic and I can see that my computer is beginning to struggle. I can only play this game on the minimum resolution with settings on low. I previously played WOW with the same setup and played it on highest resolution.

I was wondering would it be possible to upgrade the ram and graphics card in this computer? My proposed upgrades would be:

Current ram 2x1GB (333MHz) --> New ram 2x2GB (800Mhz)
    Current GPU: Radeon HD4670 --> Need some advice

My motherboard is 0RY007 (Socket 775) and from a quick google should support my proposed new memory. Can anyone tell me for certain if it would work?

With regards replacing my current GPU...I'd be looking for a card to run the above game well (not looking for a beast of a card). I may be able to sell my current card to put towards a new one.

EDIT: I'm also aware I may be limited on choice of cards with, what I think, is my 300W power supply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What CPU does it have? If it's a Pentium Dual-Core or Celeron then that will be a significant bottleneck too.

It should be able to take DDR2-800 RAM (your current RAM is DDR2-667MHz by the same terminology, i.e. the speed difference isn't that great).

That PSU is a significant limitation - you may be able to get away with a Radeon 6770 (108W max. TDP) but I'm only guessing here. Does your PSU have a 6-pin PCIe power connector?

Advertisement