Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 45 minute 10 K by April

Options
  • 06-01-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

As the Title says my goal is to get to sub 45 minute 10K by April (10k in phoenix Park).

My training history is mainly GAA related so have not done lots of distance running but not planning on playing this year (due to age\injury\time reasons) so need a new focus.

Have been quite fit in the past but have not done anything since October so need to get back on track as stepped on scales this morning and was disappointed at the results:eek:.

Did the 10K about 6 years ago in 50 minutes, then tried it again 2 years ago and it was 51 and last year with quite a bit of training did it in 48.20. In mid thirties now with a 2 year old at home so know it will get harder each year so determined to get to this time. Last year really enjoyed the training after initial pain when the times started coming down.

Anyway, am heading out for my first training run tomorrow so will use this to show my progress. Planning to set the watch (have one of those Garmin watches which I found great last year) at 5:30\KM pace and will try for 5 Ks and see how I get on.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Ok. Did my first run this morning for 25 minutes. Not much but is a start I suppose. Pace was not great but watch was not picking up satellite so got no readings from it. Will try and get it working tonight. It probably had some problems through lack of use in a while :).

Legs are pretty stiff now but will try and get another 25 in tomorrow.

Lastbuilders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck.
    The GIR is a tough one, lots of hills and overcrowded. Plus it's overpriced and your money goes an overseas multimillion international conglomerate

There is a 10k the week after which seems to be at least a minute faster, it's cheaper, better organised and run not for profit, by a local bunch of runners. Check out their website, it's the 10k at the Kclub I am talking about (21st April).

http://www.bhaa.ie/

Thanks for the suggestion menoscemo but as I know the GIR pretty well I plan to stick with it. They are also giving decent shirts this year I think :).

Just off the treadmill now and did 2.76 miles in 25 minutes so quite happy with it. Was hoping for 3 miles but maybe next time.

Plan to try and follow this plan from here in and see how I go.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

Lastbuilders

Also got my GPS working. An upgrade must have knocked it out but this fix sorted it thankfully.
    https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=2188&page=2

All I need now are bright mornings or evenings so I can get out and use it.

Ok, Latest update.

Did 25 minutes on treadmill again and am up to 2.91 miles so going well.
    Was tough going and am just about staying on my chair as I type this but as always feels good when finished.

Would much prefer to be outside doing this but roll on the weekend for that.

Lastbuilders

Another 25 minute treadmill session and got to 3 miles so well happy with that.

Looking forward to a good run on saturday morning now. Hope to do about 7km. Not sure about pace but will try for between 5-5:30/km.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement

Another 25 minute treadmill session and got to 3 miles so well happy with that.

Looking forward to a good run on saturday morning now. Hope to do about 7km. Not sure about pace but will try for between 5-5:30/km.

Lastbuilders

Got out for my run this morning. Was meant to meet my brother to run with but junior builder had other plans so only ran a short distance with him as he was nearly finished when I arrived.

Did 6.7 km in 5.14 pace so happy with that. Lots to do to get the 4.5 pace by April but early days yet. Right knee is giving a bit of trouble which hopefully won't cause problems going forward. Had an ACL fixed in it about 10 years ago and have had hamstring and stiffness in it off and on over last few years.

run15-01-2011.jpg

Lastbuilders

Hi All,

Just off the treadmill again. Pushed pretty hard tonight and did 3.15miles in my 25 minutes so making steady improvements. Working from home tomorrow so may try and go for a short run when I have the chance.

Next thing I must set up is the HRM for my watch to see how hard I am really pushing myself.

Bit frustrated I am not losing any weight so far but maybe that will change in the next few weeks.

Lastbuilders

Another 3 miles tonight on the treadmill. Always feels great when finished but getting harder to get motivated to start. The inbetweeners on the phone as I ran made it a bit easier though.

Did it in 23.32 so a bit of an improvement improvement too. Will try and get it down to 23minutes for 3 miles next time.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Don't try to beat your time in every run. Most of your running should be done at an easy pace (and gradually increase the distance), and if you want to run fast now and again, run shorter intervals at a faster pace. Then when you do your time trial 3 mile every few weeks, you will be used to running longer distances and at a faster pace, so your 3 mile run will feel easier.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice RayCun. Will try a longer and easier run on Saturday and then try some shorter and faster ones next week.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The longer, easier runs are the main thing. They'll build your aerobic capacity, which will make everything else easier. But when you want to run fast, do it in shorter bursts.

Went for 8 K run this morning with 2 of my brothers and went very well. Taking few days between runs seems to be big help.

Did it in about 5.07 pace so very happy with it as was never struggling and felt I could have pushed bit harded at times.

Unfortunately only noticed I didn't have my watch when at the track so no graph this time so used my brothers watch to get pace details.

Lastbuilders

Not much to report today.

Trying to increase my speed a little so did a slow half mile followed by a mile in 6 mins 50 seconds (was wrecked after this) and then did another slow half mile.

Lastbuilders

Good run last night on treadmill. 3 miles in 24.50. Looking forward to a a nice run outside tomorrow so hopefully will be nice morning.

Will try for around the 5min\km mark for 7 km and see how it goes.

Lastbuilders

Good run this morning. Was great morning for it and feel very good now. Was hoping to try and get sub 5min \Km but lost some time on second lap and bad knee was slowing me down a bit on the first one.

Finished up as 5.04 km\min for 7.67 KM so getting close to 5km\mark. Will try and do 5 km run tuesday if working form home and see how I go.

trianing30-01-2012.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

menoscemo wrote: »
    Best of luck.
    The GIR is a tough one, lots of hills and overcrowded.
    http://www.bhaa.ie/

+1

Not the place to be chasing a fast time. Find another race to make the sub 45 that bit easier.

I have a PB of 45:24 for 10km (back when I used to run them) but my best for the GIR was only 46:59. It's hilly as hell, and the first Km was ridiculously overcrowded. I actually had to stop to walk as there was such a backlog of people going around one of the first hairpin bends. A nice race but if you are dead set on sub 45 then go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Do you know what you're conversational pace would be?
    Do you have short intervals (200m / 800m) in your plan?

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

04072511 - The GIR is the only one that I know as I have done it 4 times and hopefully know where I need to be at different stages. Would like to make 45minutes and that is still the goal but if that does not happen a PB (sub 48.20) would be great to get.

Donelson - Not sure what that would be. I would guess about 5:30 or so. I can talk when running at 5:10 pace but not comfortably.

Trying to get in a mile run during the week too but no 200\800s.

Lastbuilders

3 miles last night on the treadmill in 24.05 mins. Felt pretty good and just got it finihsed before the Inbetweeners finished on the phone.

Training local football team this evening so will try and fit in some weights before this.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement

Looking forward to a run in the morning. Got stride analysis done today and it recommended the Puma Ventis 2 so can't wait to see how they go. I wonder will they get me sub 5min\km pace :)?

Lastbuilders

Very happy with my time today. Did 7.9KM in 37.22 so 4.55 pace. Pushed it pretty hard.
    New runners felt pretty good too but my arches are a bit stiff now.
    Also got my HRM working so have added this to the graph.

training.jpg

Looks like you giving it shocks, heart rate 190+ by the end? Do you know what your max "all time" heat rate is? If you can get that it'll help you to work out your lactacte threshold.

Didn't feel like I was at my max for much of the run so surpised it is so high. Not sure what my max is but if I take 220 - age it would be 184.

Lastbuilders

Good run last night on treadmill. New runners felt better this time and no pains with my arches. Did 3 miles in 24.05 and felt pretty comfortable with it. One disappointing thing is I am not losing any weight. Still at 12st 12 or so. Going to try and eat bit better and see if that helps.

Will do some strength training tonight too and do a few quick miles over next few days. Already looking forward to my outside run Saturday. Not sure should I push it to 10k this time to try and improve my speed for 7km.

Lastbuilders

Internet down for few days so only putting update now.

Had very good run Saturday and did 7.6 km at 4.51 per KM pace so happy with that.

training-1.jpg

Did 3 miles on the treadmill then Monday then in 22.35 so again an improvement but have a bit of a cold now so taking it easy until Saturday.

Bad run yesterday I am afraid. Didn't feel great starting run and stopped half way through. My watch also didn't work correctly so no time to report either :(. Will try and do a few runs this week and see how I go.

Lastbuilders

Got out for 6km today. Used different route with LOTs of hills so my pace was back at 5.17 min\km. With some of the big hills on the track and am pretty happy with it. Also did my first GAA training of the year on Friday night so muscles pretty stiff today. Only got few kilmometers done during week too so not looking good for my goal in April.

training1.jpg

Finding it very hard to get out for runs in last week or so with other committments and have been banned form treadmill due to the noice it generates.

Just did 5.5 KM on Saturday at 4.91min\km so not really improving. Target of 4.30 looks further away all the time but will try and get more sessions in over next few weeks.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement

Keep at it, it'll come good if you can keep plugging away at it.

Advertisement