Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub 45 minute 10 K by April

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Thanks Donelson,

If I can just get a routine then it would be bit easier but this has been hard to find recently.

Did 6.5 K tonight over very hilly path at a fairly comfortable pace and felt very good afterward. Pace was not great at 5.27 min\km but in light of the terrain it is probably fairly good. Might have pushed harder but was dark and didn't check my watch too often. Not sure how other people feel but found running on your own at night is a bit harder then during the day. My heart rate on the graph indictaes I was in a more comfortable zone too.

training2.jpg

Lastbuilders

Got out for two laps of the block this evening at a steady 5.15min\km pace for 4.5 km.
    Will try and get closer to 5 pace next time but happy with the run. Knee is also holding up pretty well considering I have been doing more road running than I normally do and my new runners may have helped here.

training07032012.jpg

Lastbuilders

Got two 4.5 KM runs on the 10th and tonight over the same course and went well.
    Felt good tonight so pushed bit harder and did it in 5.02\km pace so very happy with that considering it is pretty dark and I have to be cautious sometimes so I don't get lost in some of the pot holes on my path.

12th Run
    training12032012.jpg

10th Run

training10032012.jpg

Not too much to report in last week. Did 7km on the treadmill Tuesday night in a good pace (for me) of about 12Km\h and then went to football training Friday evening.

Then went for 9km run this afternoon. Did it in 5.09min\km pace so fairly happy with it and followed it up with 3.5 hours cutting my lawn. The lawn was harder :) and gave me more blisters.

training20032012.jpg

Lastbuilders

Another 2 laps tonight and felt pretty good. Did it in 4.56 min\km so happy to be sub 5min now. Still long way to go to get to 4.30 though so may have to just try for a PB in the 10k in April.

training21032012.jpg

• Advertisement

Two laps today so another 4.5 km and improved my pace to 4.52 min\km so showing some improvement. Had few pints last night too at a table quiz so pretty happy with it. Might try a lap or two tomorrow night.

Lastbuilders

Hi All, Have not posted in a while but have been doing quite well. Have done 7 runs since my last entry, 2 long ones of about 9 kms and 5 short of about 4.5 kms. Last few have averaged from 4.42 and 4.50 min\km so hope to beat my 10km PB of 48min 20 s in the run on Sunday.

Plan doing one easy 5km run Friday night and that is it until the race. Looking forward to the race now but not sure on preparation food but will do some research in next day or so.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks like solid improvement over the last few weeks. Best of luck with the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

similar times and goals to myself lastbuilder, best of luck :)

Thanks all. Did my last 4.5Km before the race there in an easy 5.25min\km pace and felt very good. Hard thing now is no glass of wine tonight or tomorrow night. On a positive note I have lost about 8lbs over the last few months too which is good.

Good luck to ye too in your races.

Lastbuilders

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Home from the Bupa 10k and very happy. Have not got my official time from the site but from my watch it was 44.18 so more than happy with that. Funny thing was my watch stopped about 60 meters from the finish so it may be a bit longer but I think I have definitely beaten 45 which was my goal.

Race itself went quite well apart from the crowds at the start and also had to stop for a second when got cut off at the water station but could have been worse I suppose. Went off fast and go to 5KM in 21:30 so knew I had a good change of getting my goal so then just stuck with it at a steady pace and as you can probably tell am chuffed with the result. So off to have a glass of wine now :).

Lastbuilders

Oh. Herer is the readout from the watch too.

bupa10K15042012.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

Well done,will you have a new target so?

Thanks Rossin. Got my official time and was 44:40 so very happy with that. Not sure what my next goal is as was not thinking past Sunday. Would see 40 as a bridge too far but might try a few more 5 or 10 Ks in the next few months to see how I go.

Lastbuilders

Taking today and tomorrow off but seriously thinking about the K Club race on Saturday now to see can I improve my time. Maybe it is too soon after the race and may just be over enthusiasm but think it may be a good course to try this on.

With knee problems in the past (and potential problems in the future) it may be better to stick with the running rather than try and go back to GAA this season.

Lastbuilders

Had a lazy week and only got out for run tonight but felt very good to get it in. Did 8.3KM in 5.3 min\km pace. Need a new goal so going to try for 40 minute 10k before the end of the summer.

This may not be possible but was wondering if anyone could recommend a program to get from 44:40 to sub 40?

Lastbuilders

Can't believe it is 6 years since I updated the thread. Lots happening in the interim including a new arrival almost 6 years ago and also passing 40 a few years ago 😀.

Am still doing some running and now have a goal of a 40 minute 10k so hope to use this thread to provide some info on my progress and some encouragement too ðŸ˜.

I am now running 3-4 times a week at about 5 km a session plus a weight and stretch gym session a week. I just did my goal 5km time of sub 20 last week which I am delighted about. I do have some knee pain from an ACL about 18 years ago I need to get checked and also need to manage a b12 deficiency but overall I feel in a good place to try for the sub 40. It does seem a long way off but a 20 minute 5k did too not so long ago. Goal is for the 40 minute target in 2019. No specific date or race in mind so far.

Cheers,
    Lastbuilders

Advertisement