Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Green Egg in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Finally moved from the small tiny flat out to somewhere with a patio, and feck the weather, I'm thinking BBQ grill :)
    There's a specific one I'd like - the Big Green Egg:

big-green-egg.jpg

Thing is, the only place I can find it in Ireland on the 'net is in Limerick and that's a heck of a haul; has anyone ever seen one of these for sale in or around the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

I'd kill for one of them - do you want to use it as a smoker too?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hells yes :D
    The alternative is Alton Brown's Heath Robinson Special... and the Egg just looks to be better for the job :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

It's definitely the dog's b****x of BBQs!

If you've no luck with the Big Green Egg... The Weber Smokey Mountain gets very good reviews and you can get them delivered from places in NI as far as I know.

I have a smoker from a UK-based company called ProQ, which is essentially a cheaper version of the WSM. It works pretty well!

They also double as standard grills too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

The place in Limerick has the distribution for Ireland, the medium size which I would recommend as it's the size you need for Turkey and larger cuts of meat runs the guts of €1k. They are great, we did a pork shoulder on ours last night and had the most delicious pulled pork sanbos for dinner, I honestly don't remember the last time we cooked a chicken in the oven.

€1k? Fupping hell. It was only $550 (€430-odd) on the few US sites I could find that still had prices...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Lapsed Catholic

I am the original importer of the BGE into Ireland, about 10-12 years ago. I have cooked Christmas dinner (turkey and ham) on it every year since, outstanding moisture and flavour. I use it year round in hail, rain or shine. I would recommend the large BGE, it is versatile enough to feed the family or up to 100 and if you have room put it in a table for extra prep space. Haggle with the shop, what ever you pay it is worth it. It is the best BBQ, Smoker, Grill you will ever use.

I am no longer involved and derive no benefit from any sale.

Just checked it's the large we have, and it fits a turkey easily, as far as I remember it was €995 when I was last in A Room Outside in November. If it's any consolation they last very well my dad has his for about 9 years and it's in great shape (and he wouldn't be the best at looking after stuff) our's is over 5 years old and is perfect.

It's one of those things that's only worth having if you use it. We'd probably use it on average once a week year around. About twice a month in the winter (as I said we used it yesterday) and twice a week in the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Is the Big Green Egg similar to a Kamado Joe Grill? The Kamado Joe looks a little cheaper than the Green Egg on the UK websites. Not sure of the availability in Ireland or the accessory bundles that are included with each grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The BGE looks like an awesome piece of kit, but for a grand you'd want to be using it 6 nights a week.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 james ensor

Hi, I was looking into a BGE last year and then discovered there were options…..
    Eventually we opted for an http://www.grill-dome.nl/EN/contact/
    Food tastes exceptional, plus there are several cooking options
    I found this link informative……. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Iaps3znUg&feature=relmfu

• Advertisement

BBQs such as BGE, Komado Joe and Grill Dome are all komados. Komados are a Japanese oven traditionally made from clay.

How much did you pay from the Grill Dome? BGE is not the cheapest thing to buy but it is one of the best things you will ever buy. Mine is over ten years old and in perfect nick, I'm sure that there are many who replace BBQs every couple of years because they fall apart. You can go broke buying bargains.

How much did you pay from the Grill Dome?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

What ever you pay for one of these it will be worth it!! My dad has two of the large ones and a mini! We use it constantly! There is no such thing as waiting for a nice day for a BBQ! Christmas turkey every year for last 8-10 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 james ensor

Hard to say exactly, we bought at the RDS Horse Show, there was a show discount. Purchased a bundle deal of bits & bods & lumpwood charcoal (which is a key ingredient for any successful Kamado BBQ) total cost with show discount was approx 10% less than there web prices. One good thing they delivered it & fired it up, we had our first BBQ breakfast that morning & sausages have never tasted the same :D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The BGE looks like an awesome piece of kit, but for a grand you'd want to be using it 6 nights a week.:rolleyes:

If my husband had his way we would use it every night! Yummy chicken wings off it for dinner last night.

Got a quote from the company in Limerick that sells them at the moment: €850. It does include a bunch of extras as part of the deal - Platesetter, lump charcoal and firestarters, mitt, apron, some grilling planks (also something I've been dying to try), and some tools and delivery to Dublin.... but still, €850. That's almost exactly twice the $550 price in the US.

Gah...

Sparks wrote: »
    Got a quote from the company in Limerick that sells them at the moment: €850. It does include a bunch of extras as part of the deal - Platesetter, lump charcoal and firestarters, mitt, apron, some grilling planks (also something I've been dying to try), and some tools and delivery to Dublin.... but still, €850. That's almost exactly twice the $550 price in the US.

Gah...

not here to justify the €850 but the BGE weighs 10st, consider the shipping costs + duty as it comes from outside EU. 10 odd years ago I was selling them for circa IR£700.

It's not exactly an iPad that you can stick in your bag and bring from the US. You need to decide if you can and want to pay the €850 for it or not, the US price doesn't come into play because you can't buy it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irelandbbq

I have grilled, smoked and baked a variety of foods in both of these
    grills for the last ten years. There is no better way to grill and get
    outstanding results. I have grilled competitively and for fun on all types
    of grills and ceramic grilling is by far the best way to grill, smoke or bake all types of foods. Ever have soda bread baked on a grill? You should try
    it, and don't forget the raisins! I have a few of these grills in the large size and they can easily handle six slabs of ribs, 25 lbs of pork shoulder, or even a 24 lb. turkey. Ever have a pizza from a wood burning oven at an Italian restaurant, a ceramic grill can match it to a tee. I use 6lbs. of lump
    charcoal front loaded and I have smoked for up to 20 hours on the
    same charcoal. Outdoor weather has no effect on my grills as I have
    grilled at 600 F in weather -4 F searing up some thick ribeye steaks.
    Ceramic grills are not cheap, but they are worth every penny. I would
    get a Green Egg or a Kamado Joe as either one is as good. I know both
    are in the UK and I heard Kamado Joe is coming to Ireland. Got to go, time
    to grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

I use this crowd http://www.planetbarbecue.co.uk/shopfrontbbq.html ...I have a weber smokey mountain and i can't recomend it enough...Filled using the minion method I can keep temp for 11 hours without having to do any thing except maybe open a vent every 6 hours...the smokey mountain is used by all the pros in the states during BBQ comps...heres some ribs from last week

[IMG][/img]7074388689_5aabb9ebf4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Squalk62

I am going to buy either a BGE or Komado Joe in the next two weeks, but I need to choose now so I can finish off construction my BBQ area and the top has to be a specific distance from the bottom plate to hold the BBQ . The Komado Joe is €500 and the BGE is €850.,, Can someone please give advice?? .. Is there a reason for such a price difference ???? Of course each sales man has his own pitch for their products .... My heart says the BGE , i dont know why, but my head wants justification for €350 extra for what are claimed to be as good as each other.... Has anyone grilled on both ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭smellyfinger

Squalk62 wrote: »
    I am going to buy either a BGE or Komado Joe in the next two weeks, but I need to choose now so I can finish off construction my BBQ area and the top has to be a specific distance from the bottom plate to hold the BBQ . The Komado Joe is €500 and the BGE is €850.,, Can someone please give advice?? .. Is there a reason for such a price difference ???? Of course each sales man has his own pitch for their products .... My heart says the BGE , i dont know why, but my head wants justification for €350 extra for what are claimed to be as good as each other.... Has anyone grilled on both ??
    Where can you buy the Komodo joe for that money. I am thinking of buying one of these for ages but now I'm taking the plunge thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Did ever get one? I'm interested in one too.

No, I got a toddler instead :D

Advertisement