Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad experience at UCI Blanchardstown

Options
  • 06-01-2012 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Although UCI in Blanch is the closest cinema to where I live, I hadn't been there in years until recently when I went along to 'A week with Marilyn'. It was a Tuesday night so it was quiet, got a ticket for an 'ordinary seat', apparently it is a euro extra for a seat with more leg room, the first ten rows of seats in the auditorium apparently...only about 15 people in to see the film but two staff members at the entrance making sure that those who didn't pay the extra euro for the ''good seats with leg room'' didn't try to use them...I mean, come on...could understand it if it was a busy night at the weekend but with 15 people there, i would have thought that you could sit where you want :eek:

The screen was not great either, a large stain like mark on the top right hand side. Also two staff members came in 20 minutes before the end of the film rattling a couple of plastic bags and talking to each other in a ''loud whisper'' breaking the atmosphere, the concept that the 'clean up' starts after the film ends and the customers have left seemingly was beyond them!

Let's just say I had better experiences elsewhere and won't be back to UCI in Blanch again. There are better and cheaper alternatives elsewhere. Couldn't see a manager around afterwards to have a word with, just a few hormonal teenagers in badly fitting uniforms. Excellent film though! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I have complained when there about a year ago and they gave me a few vouchers for more visits.

All you have to do is ask a member of staff for a manager and they will get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I've also given up on it.
    From the wrong tickets being issued, to the wrong film being screened, staff who don't give a damn, not being able to book tickets and having to be there 20 mins before hand unless you want to pay for premium seat tickets to all the idiots who just do not shut up.
    It's just not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Its falling apart as well, talk about showing your age. Most of the times I was there when you moved the row did with you.

Out of all the profit it has made, I wouldn’t say much if any has been spent on improving or updating the place. One of the best examples is the glass lamp shades, they had the old UCI badge on them, and then a new badge came out, on goes a tacky sticker.

Not to mention the genius cost cutting measure of taking the box offices out and having to queue for tickets and food at the same tills.

Go to Showtime cinemas in Ashbourne. Smaller but much more up to date, cheaper tickets/food, nicer staff and the seats are meant to move. There’s also a great Italian chipper restaurant beside it and its only 20 minutes from Blanch in a car.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Showtime-Cinemas-Ashbourne/193852623967

https://www.facebook.com/MancinisFamilyDiner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

UCI Blanch is a kip inf fairness. Theres a cheap kids club thats about the best thing you can say about it. TBH with the traffic around the Blanch SC, its probably quicker to get to Dunboyne (must check it out good tip thx) or Liffey Valley (where I'd usually go).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

they're opening a new cinema soon at Charlestown SC in Finglas but unfortunately it's being run by UCI as well. If it was a different operator, the competition might have made them get their act together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Ashbourne no?
    BostonB wrote: »
    UCI Blanch is a kip inf fairness. Theres a cheap kids club thats about the best thing you can say about it. TBH with the traffic around the Blanch SC, its probably quicker to get to Dunboyne (must check it out good tip thx) or Liffey Valley (where I'd usually go).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We find it much better to use the cinemas in the city centre (usually the on in Parnell Street), or sometimes the one out in Swords. Haven't used UCI in years as it had gone really filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We usually go to Liffey Valley. It's not too far away and it's clean. UCI is run down but I've never had a problem with the staff.

If they introduced the unlimited card that the cinema on Parnell Street has I'd go to UCI all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Their staff completely turned me off the place. I mentioned to one of the staff how filty the womens toiltets were and got my head bitten off that there are thousands of people coming in here, like it was my fault. The choice of films is dreadful would prefer town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

That is the result of recession: people laid off,remaining people not motivated and not interested in doing the job or too stressed and over-tasked !

Also,there are people that cannot understand that having a job these days is a "premium" !

And more worries on the way,that is the beginning ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭zizou_

Even though i'm only down the road from Blanch i always go to Liffey Valley. Much cleaner, can book your seats with the standard seats and there's much more legroom.

Went to UCI a few months back and they herded us into the Cinema only to realise they had forgotten to clean up from the previous show. Out we all went again and after about 20 mins we eventually got to see the trailers. At least they gave everyone free vouchers but i couldn't be bothered going back so gave them away.

rolion wrote: »
    That is the result of recession: people laid off,remaining people not motivated and not interested in doing the job or too stressed and over-tasked !

Also,there are people that cannot understand that having a job these days is a "premium" !

And more worries on the way,that is the beginning ...

Can't really agree with that. UCI Blanchardstown has always been like that. For many, many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I stay away from Blanch UCI too.

We go to Santry Omniplex - seats are spotlessly clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

UCI Blanchardstown is the only cinema I know that still pours butter on the popcorn.

Heart attack? Maybe. Delicious? Absotively!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

BostonB wrote: »
    Can't really agree with that. UCI Blanchardstown has always been like that. For many, many years.

Then,is time to educate visitors to eat popcorn properly,without the noise and without leaving,at the end of the movie,the all sh*t behind !?
    Also,how to use the public toilets !?

Come on,we can't expect the staff in there to clean after ourselves everytime ! We have to take /to do our part as well !

Been in there some years ago,seen popcorn and drinks traces everywhere, dirty seats from sitting with feet on it, noise, phones ringing and people commenting on the movie during the movie...

Regards.

Seems unlikely all the slobs go to blanch and no other cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Can't say I've ever had that much of a problem with UCI Blanch! Staff are much friendlier than in Liffey Valley, Cineworld or Dundrum! Tickets are cheaper, and a lot of the screens have the new seats now which are much bigger and spotless and comfy! The other cinemas are no doubt nicer, but all three are newer and have a wider viewership (or so I would imagine) so they can probably afford to keep it looking spruced up!
    At the end of the day its only a cinema, public toilets are usually rank everywhere you go so I am, at least, never expecting 5 star hotel standard! As long as I can get some Ben & Jerrys and watch the movie in peace I'm happy enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have to say im very suprised with this thread, Im there at least 40 times a year, I go to the cinema every week and UCI blanch is my preference. OK so its close, I can walk there. Iv never had trouble with staff in fact they are all very friendly towards me ( this may be due to the fact that im there so often and they all know me by now ) Id say twice in over 10 years of using the place ive made a complaint to staff witch was sorted for me both times.

There is a certian cinema outside the pale that has messed up the film for me every time I went, I think it has closed now.

My only gripes with UCI was their lack of screens so the only time I ever head to liffy valley is when they have a film thats not on in UCI. ALso I agree the closing the box office and getting tickets with food is now anoying. Ive stoped booking on line because of this there is no benifit to getting your tickets early now.

the odd time I goto Movies@XXXXX and they are fine except from having to drink bloody Pepsi.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I have used the UCI in Blanch since it opened. I have never had an incident or issue or note at all.

I go in, buy my ticket then food but now it is ticket and food at the same time so even better. I take my seat with my chili hotdog and drink and watch the trailers plus the movie and afterwards I usually zip in to the loo for a second before heading home.

Either I am totally non observant or easy going, what ever it is I have never had an issue there.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

I have to say i have never seen a problem with UCI, they queues are always a bit a long but they move quick enough.

The loos i have never found a problem with them (and im very fussy when it comes to toilets)

Staff are just like staff in any other cinema, teenagers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I tend to avoid UCI and go to Liffey Valley if there's a film I want to see. It just doesn't feel clean, seats and floors are usually sticky. Sometimes I wonder if it's as bad as I remember and go back just to check...and find it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Meat

I have no problem with UCI. Although they did recently increase their prices. Student price was €7.30 or thereabouts but now it's €9.30 while it's over a tenner for normal tickets. Ouch. Buying a good film on DVD only costs €4 in HMV, like.
    I prefer Cineworld though as it's cheaper (€8.30 for students), shows slightly lesser-known films, seems to have longer runs for films and based on my experience the staff are more sound. By that I mean the UCI staff never gives my mate a student discount with just a student travelcard but Cineworld staff don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

ive never noticed the sticky floors tbh. An odd time I did see a seat I did not like the look of like torn fabric or that but it was not a problem I just did not sit on it, dident have to go to liffy valley over that.

Sure it costs me an extra fiver to go to VUE, cause of that dam toll and im not a fan of going over the lucan back roads at night.

The consensus in this thread is that some people don't like it and some people do.

Save the local economy.

Buy local - buy Blanch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've no issue with UCI other than the sometimes limited selection of films. When that last Twilight movie was released, they were showing it round the clock in almost every screen. I think there was a total of 3 movies you could see.

I have noticed that they rarely have anyone checking for tickets any more, except during peak times. I'm surprised I don't see more people sneaking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

We usually go to Liffey Valley. It's not too far away and it's clean. UCI is run down but I've never had a problem with the staff.

If they introduced the unlimited card that the cinema on Parnell Street has I'd go to UCI all the time.

What cinemas do that unlimited card? aint seen that advertised in years. used to be a good deal when i remember them pushin it years ago

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cineworld is the only place I've heard of that do it

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.

I was a manager in UCI Blanch for 2 and a half years leaving in 2005 and I have to say it was the best job I ever had in terms of staff, They were friendly and always chatting to customers. Unfortunately ur always going to get the odd bad staff member or someone who just is in bad form. Happened all the time but I am still close with over 30 of the employees that worked there at the time and still see regular faces when I visit the cinema. Try compare the staff friendliness to Dunnes downstairs and you will see just how helpful staff are

In terms of cleanliness we always did the best we could cleaning screens, During the weekdays there is a lack of staff which would sometimes leave only one or two people to clean a screen. You would be suprised at the mess people can make when they think the floor is a rubbish bin.

During busy periods the place would be very full and was a bit of a rush during walkin periods (half 7 to half 9). We would usually do our best to accomadate everyone.

You would not believe some of the things that you would be called just trying to do your job. When we had seated performances we would often have people sit were ever they like which would be an absolute nightmare for us and anyone coming in a few minutes late, often having to reseat whole rows while a film had started.

Unfortunatley we would have a few regular patrons who would go 6 months without paying for a ticket due to complaining about little or nothing and being handed complimentary passes. The Job was tough at the best of times and due to poor funding in the company there was more complaints than you could count when it was busy. We did the best we could while we were on shift.

The company has seen hard times in recent years and there was a bad General Manager there but they have since been replaced and I regularly visit the cinema now. As prev mentioned I may be a bit biased here but its one of the best cinemas I have visited in terms of friendliness and courtesy.

Anyway hope this helps future cinema goers!!!!

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here.

I was a manager in UCI Blanch for 2 and a half years leaving in 2005 and I have to say it was the best job I ever had in terms of staff, They were friendly and always chatting to customers. Unfortunately ur always going to get the odd bad staff member or someone who just is in bad form. Happened all the time but I am still close with over 30 of the employees that worked there at the time and still see regular faces when I visit the cinema. Try compare the staff friendliness to Dunnes downstairs and you will see just how helpful staff are

In terms of cleanliness we always did the best we could cleaning screens, During the weekdays there is a lack of staff which would sometimes leave only one or two people to clean a screen. You would be suprised at the mess people can make when they think the floor is a rubbish bin.

During busy periods the place would be very full and was a bit of a rush during walkin periods (half 7 to half 9). We would usually do our best to accomadate everyone.

You would not believe some of the things that you would be called just trying to do your job. When we had seated performances we would often have people sit were ever they like which would be an absolute nightmare for us and anyone coming in a few minutes late, often having to reseat whole rows while a film had started.

Unfortunatley we would have a few regular patrons who would go 6 months without paying for a ticket due to complaining about little or nothing and being handed complimentary passes. The Job was tough at the best of times and due to poor funding in the company there was more complaints than you could count when it was busy. We did the best we could while we were on shift.

The company has seen hard times in recent years and there was a bad General Manager there but they have since been replaced and I regularly visit the cinema now. As prev mentioned I may be a bit biased here but its one of the best cinemas I have visited in terms of friendliness and courtesy.

Anyway hope this helps future cinema goers!!!!

Well said. This is Ireland and some people will have a problem and a moan about everything but they are great to wind up :D

Look, my local boozer is a kip but you know what it's my kip and I love it :D

Great writing Gary!

• Advertisement

Happy as a pig in...;)

Advertisement