Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK husband with US wife living in Ireland?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 4:06pm

Hey all,

Can I pick your brains for a moment? I've looked online, but I can't really make sense of it.

Two friends of mine are married. She is a US citizen, he holds a UK passport. His father lives over here and is sick. His brother (US citizen) lives here and is married to an Irish girl.

They were promised work and lodgings here, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out. So they're pretty broke and need to work.

I'm trying to figure out
    A) Can he be classed as a habitual resident as a UK passport holder?
    B) Her visa (Visitor visa) runs out on the 24th January, is there any way this can be extended?
    C) If she has to leave, can she go to the UK and get a re-entry visa for another 90 days for Ireland?
    C) Is there any way she can get a pps no. as he's a UK passport holder?

The two of them really want to stay, live and work in Ireland especially as his dad is sick.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Hey all,

Can I pick your brains for a moment? I've looked online, but I can't really make sense of it.

Two friends of mine are married. She is a US citizen, he holds a UK passport. His father lives over here and is sick. His brother (US citizen) lives here and is married to an Irish girl.

They were promised work and lodgings here, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out. So they're pretty broke and need to work.

I'm trying to figure out
    B) Her visa (Visitor visa) runs out on the 24th January, is there any way this can be extended?
    C) If she has to leave, can she go to the UK and get a re-entry visa for another 90 days for Ireland?

The two of them really want to stay, live and work in Ireland especially as his dad is sick.

Unfortunately she would not be able to apply for a PPS number as she is not an EU citizen herself and only here on a tourist visa. But she is married to an EU citizen, she can apply for British citizenship through her husband. That way she will be able to work here or anywhere else in the EU without ever worrying about visas ever again.

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out

Unfortunately she would not be able to apply for a PPS number as she is not an EU citizen herself and only here on a tourist visa. But she is married to an EU citizen, she can apply for British citizenship through her husband. That way she will be able to work here or anywhere else in the EU without ever worrying about visas ever again.
    How long do you have to be married for before you can apply for citizenship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

In the mean time, get your local immigration officer to extend her visitor stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

First stop should be the immigration officer with the local garda station. They have the authority to extend a visitor visa, under the circumstances (not working, caring for sick relative) there shouldn't be a problem......but enquire as soon as you can so you can make other plans if the immigration officer doens't approve......don't risk overstaying

Advertisement