Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LC 2012 Constructions/Theorems

• 06-01-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm just trying to sort out the theorems, constructions and corollaries etc that I need to cover with my class. I've been working off the syllabus for most of the year and popping in and out of the book as we went along.

From pg 22 of the syllabus, my higher level class will need to know Constructions 1- 22, be familiar with using Theorems 7,8,11,12,13,16,17,18,20,21 and corollary 6, and then formally prove Theorems 11,12,13 . . . . Am I reading that correctly?! Because from flicking through the book (Active Maths, HL, Strands 1 and 2), they go into a lot more detail on each of the proofs, for example pg 410 says they may be asked to formally prove theorems 4,6,9,14.

Has anyone any insight into this? I don't want to leave my class unprepared, nor do I want to waste time making them learn long formal proofs unnecessarily. Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

I went to a strand 2 content course where the emphasis was really on the syllabus, and basically if its not on the syllabus it cant come up.

The only exception might be the choice question, where students have a choice between synthetic geometry and a question applying knowledge from JCHL and old LCHL trig course. But I cant imagine proofs would come up there... its supposed to test student understanding by applying theorems to real life situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

For the choice I'm only covering the LC content and leaving the applied question from JC, we had a look and they werent keen!

I really just wanted to make sure I was reading it right! Thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

If you want to be a 100% sure u should doublecheck with someone from the project maths development team... Jst since there wasnt a huge response on this thread!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Good idea, thanks again!

Advertisement