Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher applying for full time work in retail sector

Options
  • 06-01-2012 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im an unemployed maths teacher and Ive just about given up all hope of finding a job this year. I've been keeping busy with courses and voluntary work but Im about to start looking for full time work in another sector, from now until next september (at least).

Problem is that since I graduated college I havent been able to get any work in restaurants and shops. At the one interview I was called to, I was basically told I was over qualified and would run out on the job... Any advice on how I can change up my CV so that employers dont see my teaching qualification as a problem??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I thought Ireland was short of qualified maths teachers and desperate to hire them, it was in the news. Shows what I know

Tell them you're doing a masters of some sort but it's one day a week and self study the rest

These exist, I know our college ran them

So you're free the rest of the week. I did this myself when I was stuck for a job after college and worked in a hotel until I got something better

Offtopic but would teaching English as foreign language abroad be something you consider. You could get a six month contract and be back in Ireland next summer to apply for teaching jobs.
    You've free time too out there so can study when you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I thought Ireland was short of qualified maths teachers and desperate to hire them, it was in the news. Shows what I know

Tell them you're doing a masters of some sort but it's one day a week and self study the rest

Offtopic but would teaching English as foreign language abroad be something you consider. You could get a six month contract and be back in Ireland next summer to apply for teaching jobs.
    You've free time too out there so can study when you want

Oh that masters thingy is a very good idea. I was thinking about doing a TEFL course as it would increase my chances of getting work here as well as abroad, but at the moment I just dont have the money for a course.

Im looking for a job until September because Im hoping to get work in England. Ireland is short on fully qualified teachers but there are too many unemployed teachers looking for work. Many are more experienced than me. Even though Im highly qualified in Maths, my second subject is useless (not a science subject). Often I turn up to interview and realise within 5 min that the job is gone to someone who is already in the school. Very frustrating. Hoping things will be a little better in England!!

Until then I would just like a job that give me a bit of purpose...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

lestat21 wrote: »
    Oh that masters thingy is a very good idea. I was thinking about doing a TEFL course as it would increase my chances of getting work here as well as abroad, but at the moment I just dont have the money for a course.

Im looking for a job until September because Im hoping to get work in England. Ireland is short on fully qualified teachers but there are too many unemployed teachers looking for work. Many are more experienced than me. Even though Im highly qualified in Maths, my second subject is useless (not a science subject). Often I turn up to interview and realise within 5 min that the job is gone to someone who is already in the school. Very frustrating. Hoping things will be a little better in England!!

Until then I would just like a job that give me a bit of purpose...

You will get a job in England. I don't know any Irish teacher who's failed to find something there. Mikemac's advice is very good, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

:)I really feel your pain.

1- Keep applying for jobs when you can- it is really good experience and gets your face out there. Yes- the job is often gone before you sit down to do the interview but you don't ever really know if that is true so keep going.

2- Are you doing maths grinds? It is handy under the table cash for the meantime and you are now in exam season when everyone wants grinds. Best to advertise this discreatly as 'they' are trying to catch people for not paying tax on this type of income.

3- Grinds schools?

4- Do anything else to keep you afloat and mentally stimulated. There is nothing worse than the occupational deficit which is rife right now...it does awful things to your self esteem so do whatever you can to maintain good mental health.

5- The UK? They work you much harder over there, itd be great experience!

Thanks for all the support!! I will definately keep applying for jobs but I really cant see anything coming up.. Im not complaining cos I know everyones in the same boat, just looking for advice on how to present myself for jobs in other sectors.

I have applied to grinds schools and heard nothing back.. Not speaking from experience, but the only way unemployed and inexperienced teachers are able to get grinds is by slashing the prices. Its only established and well known teachers who can charge outrageous rates!!

Im not really worried about money at the moment. Im really hoping to get a good reference from a summer job because i dont want to go over to England with a 2year old reference...

Does anyone know if the VECs runs similar part time courses to what Mikemac1 was on bout?? Just looking for a course and realised that I live 2.5 hours from a college/IT that runs part time, once a week, evening courses.... Might be a bit of a dtretch

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Im an unemployed maths teacher and Ive just about given up all hope of finding a job this year. I've been keeping busy with courses and voluntary work but Im about to start looking for full time work in another sector, from now until next september (at least).

Problem is that since I graduated college I havent been able to get any work in restaurants and shops. At the one interview I was called to, I was basically told I was over qualified and would run out on the job... Any advice on how I can change up my CV so that employers dont see my teaching qualification as a problem??

Hi my friend was paid to do the UK version of the H-Dip because the UK has a shortage of Math teachers. Maybe you could try abroad? I know its not for everyone but it doesnt have to be forever.

Retail jobs these days have become work for your dole crap:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056505445

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

2- Are you doing maths grinds? It is handy under the table cash for the meantime and you are now in exam season when everyone wants grinds. Best to advertise this discreatly as 'they' are trying to catch people for not paying tax on this type of income.

If you're unemployed, your earnings for the year are unlikely to use up your tax credits - meaning you'll pay no tax anyway.

So I'd strongly advise not being discreet - just declare your earnings to Revenue. If they're less than 3000 for the year, you don't even need to register as self employed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Look everyone and his mother is doing this and as a result it is a very competitive market and salaries are very low. I see these kind of jobs advertised here in Switzerland and the rates offered are often less than what a check-out person at the local supermarket gets!!!

With a degree in maths. you should be thinking about IT type jobs, particularly software houses that build software requiring a high level of maths such as games, risk management, engineering packages, portfolio management packages and so on.

Another area to look at is the risk management side of banks and financial institutions. It is true that in general banking is not the place to be right now, but the risk management side is actually growing and maths is a major part of that.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Look everyone and his mother is doing this and as a result it is a very competitive market and salaries are very low. I see these kind of jobs advertised here in Switzerland and the rates offered are often less than what a check-out person at the local supermarket gets!!!

With a degree in maths. you should be thinking about IT type jobs, particularly software houses that build software requiring a high level of maths such as games, risk management, engineering packages, portfolio management packages and so on.

Another area to look at is the risk management side of banks and financial institutions. It is true that in general banking is not the place to be right now, but the risk management side is actually growing and maths is a major part of that.

Looking into Tefl courses, because it would make me more employable in VEC and DEIS schools that have a high allocation for resource hours in Maths and English.

A lot of posters seem to think that because I'm looking into full time work in a shop or bar that I'm giving up on the teaching. Not a chance. Its what I love and Im moving to England in order to do a job I really want to do. Unfortunately, I cant go anywhere til next Sept and Im not gona be unemployed this summer... So Im tweeking my CV and applying for the jobs that are there. Id welcome any advice from people who have been in a similar situation.

Im actually pleasantly surprised by everyones response.. Usually people give out about teachers complaining over nothing or tell the unemployed that they should be happy to work 40 hour week to only get 50 euro on top of the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Forget shops. Get into IT, financial or game programming. You might need to add some IT qualifications to get you in the door though.

Forget shops, your overqualified and competing with huge numbers, who are less qualified, but probably better suited and will work for less, and stay in the job longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

BostonB wrote: »
    Forget shops. Get into IT, financial or game programming. You might need to add some IT qualifications to get you in the door though.

Forget shops, your overqualified and competing with huge numbers, who are less qualified, but probably better suited and will work for less, and stay in the job longer.

You could become an IT teacher for an IT training company?

I really want to stay in the teaching sector. I'm applying for jobs in shops and restaurants because I dont want to be unemployed this summer!!

I dont want to work in Finance or IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're just looking for summer work, then you could think about using a dumbed-down CV.

Don't lie, just give potential employers what they need to hear to be confident that you can fit into their team environments.

I really want to stay in the teaching sector. I'm applying for jobs in shops and restaurants because I dont want to be unemployed this summer!!

I dont want to work in Finance or IT.

Thats where the work is though.

Thats where the work is though.

Yeah and when I go to England maths teaching is where the work is.

I'm not been thick I just know what I want. And its not a desk job...

You want a job where their isn't one, and its over subscribed.

It doesn't add up...

Advertisement