Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile contract renewal - Advice please

Options
  • 06-01-2012 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, I'm with O2 and they rang and offerred me a crappy deal for my mobile. IE 18mth contract, 150mins, 150txts and 150Mb download at Eu20/mth. Meteor is offering Eu15.75/mth, rolling contract, 200mins, 200txts and 1Gb download. Two questions:
    1 - Is there a better deal out there? I am a low mobile user and cost is an issue!!!!!
    2 - I'm in Donegal and in the North quite a bit, is there a better deal out there that you have come across?

PS - Does Meteor belong to Eircom? Thats a brand name with low cache in my house!!!

Look forward to hearing from you. - V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nondescriptuser

Meteor does indeed belong to Eircom, and from looking around, it appears Meteor offer the best deal for the general public.
    From what I could see, Tesco were the next best with 200mins, 200texts and 100MB internet from 16euro.

There is the possibility to do better if you do infact know someone who works for one of the mobile phone operators- as most of them run friends/family programs.

And I've heard of some trade unions offering members a mobile contract offering unlimited calls and texts for 13.99 per month, and 1GB internet for 10euro extra (pre-vat).
    Unfortunately, that's all I know about that.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has heard of any other offer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Get yourself some free pre pay sims from all the other networks and test out the signal where you live work and play. Tesco mobile uses the O2 network and their plans are very good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Mobiles & PDA forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op can you post what you actually want/need in calls, texts and data. Do you need a new phone? or happy to go sim free contract or move to payg?

This might suit you? >>>http://apps.three.ie/applications/modules/roaming/three-like-home.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Vikingr01 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm with O2 and they rang and offerred me a crappy deal for my mobile. IE 18mth contract, 150mins, 150txts and 150Mb download at Eu20/mth. Meteor is offering Eu15.75/mth, rolling contract, 200mins, 200txts and 1Gb download. Two questions:
    1 - Is there a better deal out there? I am a low mobile user and cost is an issue!!!!!

It is the best value sim only bill pay package for most usage types.

Have you considered prepay packages as well or are you set on bill pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

In my opinion the best deal out there on PAYG tho http://www.three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Vikingr01

Thanks for all the replies!! I think I will opt for the Meteor deal. It's cheaper, fuss free, I can get out of it after a month if I don't like it, and it just a matter of changing the sim as everything else is on the iphone.

Do I need to unlock the iphone? And, if so, where's the best place to get that info?

V

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yes you'll need to unlock the iphone. Apply here for O2:

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/help/article.php?aid=55730#NUC

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

OP: One thing to consider, as you live in the North of the Island and travel to NI frequently. On 3-IRL you can use the 3-UK network as part of your tariff, which might be a big saving for you. With three you can set up an Auto-top-up from your debit card/credit card for the €20/month on a specific day. On bill-pay tariffs half of your flex units can be used to call UK mobiles & landlines. Just keep that in mind, as it could save you a lot of money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

3 offer good tariffs and great NI roaming. However their network is desperate and the CS is simply dire, unbelievably so.

Remember that you can only port your number once every 3 months at most so you are stuck with Meteor and if you wanna test 3 get a prepay sim first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement