Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of a new pc, Need advice!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

hmm well crysis 2 takes up 11gb of disk space while skyrim take up 6gb - just to give you an idea...most modern games vary from 6-14gb per game depending so just to give ye a heads up on this in terms of game size - beautiful thing about hard drives tho is that you can always get more so in the future you can expand your memory size by getting another hard drive if needs be - windows 7 can take up to 10gb before you start installing additional software as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

If i transfer the funds using the same day service, Is there any chance of getting the parts delivered from hardwareversand before the end of the week?

From posts on this forum i've managed to gather they usually ship the parts
    the same day they receive payment, and shipping takes 4 days....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I wouldn't bother with same day service tbh. It usually only takes a day normally anyway. There's always the risk of them not shipping the same day they receive payment too.

So if they don't ship it monday, i won't get it?:(

I start college again next monday, so was hoping to have it before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bf3 19gb

Fuuuuuuuuuuu

The only game I got on ssd. I got so used to 10gb games these days. I redownloaded dow2 retribution on steam and I was shock to find it only 4gb! Damn times fly!

I Remember my first proper pc - 2gb hdd. 600mb windows 95/98 then Starcraft 500mb and fallout 2 600mb. 3 mp3. Hdd full :)

• Advertisement

Bf3 19gb

Fuuuuuuuuuuu

The only game I got on ssd. I got so used to 10gb games these days. I redownloaded dow2 retribution on steam and I was shock to find it only 4gb! Damn times fly!

I Remember my first proper pc - 2gb hdd. 600mb windows 95/98 then Starcraft 500mb and fallout 2 600mb. 3 mp3. Hdd full :)

Thats a monster size of a game :eek:

So:

Ordered sunday.
    Paid for in bank on monday(Don't have online banking).
    Items shipped 15 minutes ago.

Now i play the waiting game, I assume Monday will be the earliest? Or is there any hope for a Friday delivery?

So:

Ordered sunday.
    Paid for in bank on monday(Don't have online banking).
    Items shipped 15 minutes ago.

Now i play the waiting game, I assume Monday will be the earliest? Or is there any hope for a Friday delivery?

All depends on the supplier and the shipping company :) it will be worth the wait :) I was like a little kid when i got mine :P

Well it will be DHL from Germany to Ireland, Then An Post from Dublin to Donegal i think.

Can't imagine the postman fitting it all in the letterbox however...?:pac:

Well it will be DHL from Germany to Ireland, Then An Post from Dublin to Donegal i think.

Can't imagine the postman fitting it all in the letterbox however...?:pac:

Ye should have it within 3 days me thinks - DHL are pretty fast and An Post are ok

• Advertisement

Ye should have it within 3 days me thinks - DHL are pretty fast and An Post are ok

Thanks for giving me hope, 3 Days means Friday!:D

If i have to wait all weekend, and attend college on Monday before i get my delivery i think i will go mad!

Thanks for giving me hope, 3 Days means Friday!:D

If i have to wait all weekend, and attend college on Monday before i get my delivery i think i will go mad!

Here's Hoping :D

So... This arrived today:
    No4hI.png

Still waiting on the main parts however. They left Germany 42 hours ago, So should get to me on Monday:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

You got a keyboard from hardwareversand! I hope you like German...:D

Forgot to add they came from Amazon:P

Problem, case does not have a space for ssd. What do?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

ssd's will slot into the same bays as regular hard drive. Check to see if theres any internal places to bolt a ssd through on your regular hard drive caddy. Otherwise you'll need a seperate 2.5" caddy that will house your ssd and fit inside the normal hard drive bay slot. If that don't make sense i'll be able to take photo's of the examples i have when i get home later

Will need to buy a seperate caddy for it then.

I assume i need a Euro -> UK plug adaptor? Is there any specific kind i need, Or can i just use any old one that is about the house?

Build is almost complete i think.... However my OS has yet to arrive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I assume i need a Euro -> UK plug adaptor? Is there any specific kind i need, Or can i just use any old one that is about the house?

You just need a kettle lead. You would probably have one lying around tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

If you can't find one, the cost about €4 in power city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No need to wait for the OS to arrive.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Download, burn and install the appropriate ISO and don't enter a CD key during installation, just push enter. You'll have 30 days to enter a cd key and activate.

Thanks for that, reached another problem, after mounting the ssd using elastic and finding a kettle plug I realised the cd drive wasn't connected to anything. Will need to get a cable for that aswell.. Opps:P

Edit: found a wire for it:D

Still no OS from Software4Students, Will use the thing linked above instead.

Anyone know how long it takes Software4Students to ship items? If they would of just dropped it in a letterbox, An Post would of had it to me by Monday:(

Not sure if its the cheap Asgard case that has caused this but there is a slight gap between the i/o ports and shield. Can't get a picture right now but it looks like this:
    |/

Its not as if the mobo can be moved or anything and it wasn't forced into place so I'm not sure what has caused this. Its touching one of the grounding prong things(I think that's what they are anyway!) however the gap has widened enough by the top so that the mobo does not touch the top one.

Ports can be plugged in fine, and there is no movement/does not feel like it is loose.

Is this bad? I had it turned on for around 30 minutes just running the bios and thats grand, So im not sure if it will affect anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The I/O ports are slanted? Is the whole set of them loose? Or is it the motherboard that's slanted?

Ok, I had another look inside. The example I gave wasn't very good...

The top few I/O ports are maybe 3mm further away from the shield than the lower I/O ports. As far as i can tell it just seems the ports are that much further in on the board....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

From my own experience, the alignment of the IO ports always looks weird the first time you build a PC.

Everything is up and running grand now, Just need a new fan which should be here by Friday. Currently i have a single fan on the low front acting as an intake, The new one will be my outtake.
    Should it go on the high rear, high side or mid side? Thinking high side, As it would be across from the CPU Cooler, But low side would lessen the problem of the GPU directing air into a slightly unventilated part of the case...

So I need a new hard drive now, My library of games has expanded a decent amount from trading steam games, and the 64gb isn't enough to hold them all.

Currently looking at the 1tb spinpoint f3 on dabs for €122(Its also on Komplett for €117, But I like Dabs better). However I am wondering if they will drop in price any time soon, Or if any new HDD's are being released? Seems we have been stuck on the current ones for forever!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could get a 2TB green drive for just €4 more.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/western-digital-2tb-caviar-green-sata-600-64mb-3-5--7G12.html?q=2tb&src=16

HDDs will be dropping over the coming months. They're only high because of the shortage (floods which closed/damaged the factories). The F3 used to be €40-60. How fast they will drop is unknown. They have to compensate for their loses and both major hard drive makers are busy with their takeover of the two other major manfacturers (Seagate <- Samsung & Western Digital <- Hitachi).
    The current generation have been around for a very long time and we've only been given minor updates on old models with a 6Gbps label thrown on and a few new SSD hybrids. Hitachi released a drive late last year which had impressive speeds so hopefully this indicates a new generation in the works.

If you need to reclaim space from the SSD, you could turn off hybernation and reduce the size of the page file.

Advertisement