Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am being forced into new credit card machine lease

Options
  • 06-01-2012 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Because we are moving our phone lines to VOIP we are changing our machine from analogue phone line to an internet cable one, the leasing company wants us to sign up to a new contract

48 months @ €21.00 + VAT
    24 months @ €25.10 + VAT

Seemingly that just cannot swap machines ?

What if we are not there in 12 months ?

Does anyone know of any shorter/cheaper alternatives ?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

This is a common scam by banks, they know that not all start ups succeed so they plan in advance to kick you when your down should that ever happen. 48 months does seem excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Well in fairness the costlier 24 month option is also available. :(

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Maybe but they know the stats of 80% of new businesses won't survive their first 12months... Seems bad form to insist on a payment plan that goes beyond the majority lifecycle of a business. Obviously there is a set up cost but this should be an up an upfront fee in my opinion.

Maybe but they know the stats of 80% of new businesses won't survive their first 12months...

We are not a new business, have the original machine for almost seven years now, the fact that they wont send us on an upgrade machine without signing up a new lease is the bit that pisses me off

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Can you pick up compatible replacement hardware online (ebay etc)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Trojan wrote: »
    Can you pick up compatible replacement hardware online (ebay etc)?

Nope, Banks here (and UK) insist that you use there machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Big Lar wrote: »

keep a phone line for the CC machine?

Nuttzz wrote: »
    keep a phone line for the CC machine?

Phone line costs around €20.00 pm rental, so by just going through the Internet there is a saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Phone line costs around €20.00 pm rental, so by just going through the Internet there is a saving.

Compared with renting the new machine is it not cheaper to keep the phone line then?

The old machine is €25.00 pm as it is, but what sickens me is that we must sign a new lease for a minimum of two years......why not just change out the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭AndyJB

Because we are moving our phone lines to VOIP we are changing our machine from analogue phone line to an internet cable one, the leasing company wants us to sign up to a new contract

48 months @ €21.00 + VAT
    24 months @ €25.10 + VAT

Seemingly that just cannot swap machines ?

What if we are not there in 12 months ?

Afternoon,
    They are a little cheeky to put it politely! I'm currently working on an e-payments project and know exactly the type of issues you have. I'd suggest before renewing with current provider take a look at options from all the providers. It won't matter if you do daily banking with one bank and use another for credit card payments, despite what they might say.

If you take payments when customer is not present, I'd suggest you go down the virtual terminal route ie web based terminal you log in and out of to take payments.

A number of the banks have offered us preferred transaction rates for our customers, on a case by case basis. Before anyone asks, no we don't get a kickback. I did ask though!! If you or anyone is interested drop me a pm and I'll be v-happy to give details.

Best of luck and Happy New Year.

Regards,
    AndyJB

Ah shur to be honest I'm just a bit vexed with the whole contract thing especially after being with them for so many years, tis a pride thing more than anything else.

If I had a few names of leasing companies, then I could hop a few prices and contract terms of the crowd I have and they may drop which would make me happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I'm not entirely sure how the machines work. But I do know of some routers that'll take a standard phone line connection and route it through the internet. Might this work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

ted1 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure how the machines work. But I do know of some routers that'll take a standard phone line connection and route it through the internet. Might this work.

We did this recently, moved 2 line pstn location to broadband voip. We were paying for a 2nd line just so the tel line and card wouldn't hold eachother up. Had to upgrade with new lease on new terminal, but savings were obvious when 2nd line was dropped.

If your company was unlucky enough to fold then I doubt your terminal lease would be the biggest problem!

ted1 wrote: »

Some seemingly enough one is analogue and the other is digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the router will convert the analogue to digital. i understadn how that works, what i don't understand is fi the machines are tied to particualry phone lines, in that it the provider matches the phone number of the line to the serial address of the terminal

these unit here, should do the job http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-434t.htm

Advertisement