Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

removal shellac nails yourself?

• 06-01-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering is it possible to remove shellac nail polish yourself. i vaguely remember reading somewhere to use 100% acetone? Where would I get this I looked in boots and didn't see it. Also is that safe to use? Shellac is expensive enough at €30 plus that to pay another €7-10 on top of that. Have a voucher for an ordinary maniucue and don't want to shell out to 10 to remove my current polish esp as half of it has peeled off anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

My sister bought 100% acetone and removed hers successfully herself. I think she got the acetone online but I'm not certain. I've no idea if it's a good idea or not but she did it successfully anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

i just use any remover that contains acetone..spill into deep bowl, and soak off the shellac, takes about 10 mins , maybe more but it works....if the 100%acetone works, ill be getting some of that tho !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

thanks gals,
    where I am from down the country includes removal in the price but not in Dublin especially if you are not getting it redone! my nails grow fast so although a lot of the varnish can stay there is a gap after a week! Plus I find my nails are weak but not sure if it's the shellac as I normally bite them when I dont have teh shellac on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I was with a friend while she got Shellac varnish removed in a salon, they soaked cotton wool in acetone, wrapped it around the nail and then wrapped that in foil and left for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭readmylips

shellac dehydrates them, leaves white spots, well, it does mine anyway...need a cuticle cream or something similarly rich, theres a silver sally hansen pot of stuff in boots but i cant remember what its called, and i cant for the life of me find mine either !! GRRRRRRRr :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Terri26 wrote: »
    thanks gals,
    where I am from down the country includes removal in the price but not in Dublin especially if you are not getting it redone! my nails grow fast so although a lot of the varnish can stay there is a gap after a week! Plus I find my nails are weak but not sure if it's the shellac as I normally bite them when I dont have teh shellac on!

Nuessence just off grafton street (opp keoghs) do shellac and removal for 30. You don't have to have them redone. Found them good.

For dark colors like red etc. I prefer salon to remove them. But for paler colours I've done it myself. Got a bottle of nail polish remover with acetone in boots and soaked for 10/15 mins and scraped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Put a little moisturising cream around your cuticle, then take some cotton wool soaked in any nail polish remover that contains acetone and apply it to your nail.

Wrap a piece of tinfoil around your finger to hold the cotton in place. Heat can help speed up removal so if you have a hot water bottle, stick or hands under it for about ten mins.

After ten mins or so, unwrap the foil. The shellac should come away from the nail easily when you gently push it with an orange wood stick. If it doesn't, resoak for a couple more mins. Don't try to force it off as you could damage your nails.

When all ten fingers are done, massage in a generous amount of cuticle oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Theres a remover in boots which is intended for taking off gel nails. Its got a higher concentration of acetone than most polish removers. I prefer to soak my nails in it cos you can see it flaking and its easier to tell when its done. Look out for small salons for a cheaper price. Ive seen loads from 15.

Thanks for all the suggestions! trying my thumb now for starters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I just peeled mine off. Didn't soak or use any acetone or anything.
    Just got a gap with another nail and it peeled right off. Not sure how good it is for you but my nails are fine. Only did it once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I am thinking of buying these for my next removal, looks like less hassle! Normally I do the tinfoil method.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/WEARABLE-NAIL-SOAKERS-PODS-ACETONE-RESISTANT-UK-SELLER-/300646337804?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Nails_Manicure_Pedicure_CA&hash=item45ffeb0d0c

Oh that's a good idea Pythia. A YOU TUBE tutorial I saw had these kinda gloves you pour the remover on which look good. Normally mine do peel of themselves. still have specks of it left on my nails and nails are weak. they were kind of rough to but I suppose I was used to the smoothness of the shellac.
    I found 100% acetone in the nail and beauty bar only €6.50. It was good - took less time than normal varnish but still left spots etc!

Advertisement