Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is an American warranty valid outside of the USA?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Last February I bought a record player online from a reputable UK retailer but last week it started to give me trouble, emitting a loud buzzing noise from its speakers.

The product is still under its 1 year warranty but it's manufactured by an American company that states clearly on its website that it won't ship overseas (either the product itself or replacement parts).

I emailed the manufacturer, which was pretty unhelpful. Their representative told me what they thought the problem might be but reiterated that they don't ship parts etc internationally.

I'm really sure what to do here. Can I go back to the UK retailer and ask them to sort it for me or do I need to deal with the manufacturer? Is the warranty even valid outside of the USA?

I'm not sure if it's relevant but I'm living in London.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It's entirely up the the manufacturer to define the T&Cs of the warranty, including geographical coverage. IF the warranty says USA only then it is limited to the USA and therefore is not enforceable outside. However they may choose to provide some discretionary cover; have you asked if they will cover the parts/replacement under warranty if you cover shipping costs?

Your contract of sale is with the UK retailer who is subject to UK & EU consumer law. Warranties are additional to and cannot replace your consumer rights.
    If the product is defective and not damaged by yourself then the EU-based retailer is legally obliged to provide redress, regardless of warranty and the product's origin.

Contact the retailer and ask them to resolve the noise problem. It's their responsibility. Living in London makes it easier to pursue the retailer because you are living in the same jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

slimjimmc wrote: »
    It sounds like the warranty is limited to USA only and therefore is not enforceable outside. They won't pay for shipping but have you asked if they will cover the parts/replacement under warranty if you cover shipping costs.

Your contract of sale is with the UK retailer and therefore they are subject to UK & EU consumer law. Warranties are additional to and cannot replace your consumer rights.
    If the product is defective and not damaged by yourself then the EU-based retailer is legally obliged to provide redress, regardless of warranty and the product's origin.

Contact the retailer and ask them to resolve the noise problem. It's their responsibility. Living in London makes it easier to pursue the retailer because you are living in the same jurisdiction.

Great, thanks a million for that, slimjimmc. I've just emailed the retailer. Hopefully they'll be receptive to the issue.

I'm quite confident that I haven't damaged the player myself. However, do you think that I could reasonably argue that its defective after 11 months? Thanks again for advice, slimjimmc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    I'm quite confident that I haven't damaged the player myself. However, do you think that I could reasonably argue that its defective after 11 months? Thanks again for advice, slimjimmc

Off course, but ultimately it depends on the cause of the problem. If it is proved the consumer caused the problem then you're on your own again.

I would expect that 11 mths is nothing for a record player unless you're running it excessively, and EU law means that you have at least 2 yrs protection (UK law may give more).

You should contact the retailer, they might even offer to replace the kit instead of just a repair. BTW any refund, repair or replacement offered by the retailer must not leave you out of pocket i.e. if they offer to repair it then they must cover collection, parts & labour and delivery back to you. That's better than paying for spare parts to be shipped from the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The contract of sale is between the retailer and you. You do not have a contract with the manufacturer

You should stop contacting the manufacturer and deal with the retailer.

Consumer protection in US seems to be a lot weaker than in the EU.

You should bring the prodcut back to the retailer and ask them to reapir the item. They have a choice of repair, refund or replace. If they refuse to do anything, you should take them to small claims court in the UK

PS: I was reading this on my phone and missed the previous post

• Advertisement

jahalpin wrote: »
    The contract of sale is between the retailer and you. You do not have a contract with the manufacturer

You should stop contacting the manufacturer and deal with the retailer.

Sorry about the confusion, I meant to say - after slimjimmc's first reply - that I'd just emailed the retailer, not the manufacturer. I've amended my post. Cheers for pointing out :)

You should contact the retailer, they might even offer to replace the kit instead of just a repair. BTW any refund, repair or replacement offered by the retailer must not leave you out of pocket i.e. if they offer to repair it then they must cover collection, parts & labour and delivery back to you. That's better than paying for spare parts to be shipped from the USA.

Amazing, Slimmjimc; thanks a million for the advice - really appreciate it, mate :)

Advertisement