Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bungee anyone?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Posted this in AH: was advised to move here. :)

Doing fundraising for charity- volunteering in Mexico in a daycare for the summer.

Trying to do some outside the box volunteering- its not for my flights etc but to buy stuff for the daycare and the children that attend: vitamins, birthday presents, classroom materials and the likes.

Can across <snip> Im thinking of hiring it out for a day.

Problem is I need 60 people who will jump before I order it and do not have 60 brave friends.

What would your opinion be of paying say €100 for the chance to bungee jump in Dublin? Personally I think it's pretty cool to be able to but then it IS my amazing idea....

The €100 would be €83 paid to <snip> and €17 to our fundraising efforts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think for the return you are making on it it's not worth the hassle. Like getting 60 people who will actually go through with it, in Dublin and sourced primarily online... I like your spirit in trying to do it, personal challenge along with making money for a good cause in the process.
    Maybe network with friends, work colleagues, family and other groups. If you'd like to do it yourself go and do it, ie, the jump but tbh I feel you would easily make as much money as you would with 60 jumpers having something as simple as a raffle.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

17Euro x 60 people = 1,020Euro

Is that it. Gonna be pretty tough to get the 60 I think OP.
    The result (1,020Euro) wouldn't be worth the effort imo.

What are the alternatives.

Not having a go at you OP, but I think there's something ****ed up with a world where people have to pay to do charity work.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

sounds like a good idea i would be up for it but for the amount of money that actually goes to charity it seems expensive

I always thought that as well re cost/charity but it's not overcharging (not saying you say that) but again just more practical thinking of this as a fundraising method.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

Not having a go at you OP, but I think there's something ****ed up with a world where people have to pay to do charity work.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way! But this money isn't for me to do the charity work, it's to buy supplies for the place itself.

Basically what's coming out of my pocket is flights and 250 euro for a months accomadation.

Alternatives like mexican night in restaurant. Speaking to schools and hopefully getting non uniform days, (shudder) bag packing etc will all be the first port of call.

Guess I'm leaning towards the bungee idea cos I'd love to do it and would get a kick out of potentially seeing my house before plummeting downwards :)

I guess I was hoping to tap Into a pool of frustrated bungee enthusiasts leaving in Dublin :s

Would really appreciate opinions tho, even if you thinks is stupid tell me (nicely) so I can direct my enthusiasm elsewhere

• Advertisement

Host a raffle. Done it a few times easiest way to raise unlimited money imo. The harder you push to sell tickets, cover your costs, no limit on the amount you can sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Also create a mycharity.ie page (as well as the raffling). Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do something that's a sacrifice to yourself not a bungee! It's for charity, I would pay to do a bungee so imho it's people trying to do a fastone doing something like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭KDII

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Do something that's a sacrifice to yourself not a bungee! It's for charity, I would pay to do a bungee so imho it's people trying to do a fastone doing something like this!

How exactly is it a "fast one"?

Surely offering services people would pay for is somewhat key to fundraising?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

KDII wrote: »
    How exactly is it a "fast one"?

Surely offering services people would pay for is somewhat key to fundraising?

Mis-read post while drunk, I think I thought the op was looking to get sponsored to do a bungee!

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Mis-read post while drunk, I think I thought the op was looking to get sponsored to do a bungee!

Wasn't sure what you meant alright, happens to the best of us.

Advertisement