Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Tree Disposal

Options
  • 06-01-2012 7:10pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where the Christmas tree disposal depots are this year? I got mine from Coillte over by Bothar Stiofan there but they seem to have pulled plant instead of mulching them like last year.

The council don't seem to be running one this year in Hunters Caravan park at Silver Strand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I found this for County
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0103/1224309735991.html
    Galway County Council will accept trees during normal working hours from January 7th until the 14th at the waste water treatment plant, Prospect, in Athenry; at Canal Drive in Ballinasloe; and also at Ball Alley, Beach Road, Clifden;

Facilities are also provided at the water works, An Cheathrú Rua; the council yard, Gort; the pound in the Fairgreen, Loughrea; Black Quarry, Mountbellew; the council chip depot, Lisconly, Milltown; the car park at Oughterard; the council site at Mountain Road, Moycullen; the council yard, Portumna; the recycling centre, Athenry Road, Tuam; the council yard beside Mart, Headford, and the waste water pumping station, Coast Road, Oranmore.

Agus for the city
    http://www.thejournal.ie/christmas-is-over-time-for-the-decorations-dump-320670-Jan2012/
    Galway City Council will begin its tree recycling service on 9 January it will cease operations on 14 January so don’t get too fond of those sparkling lights.
    Drop off points in Galway can be found a:
    Barna/Lough Rusheen City Council Depot on Barna Road
    Merlin Woods City Council Depot at Doughiska Park
    There is a charge of €1 but you will receive a bag of compost.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Thank you Biko. I found the county ones alright but they're all a pain in the balls for me to get to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Grattan Road 'depot' is gone I see. Barna/Lough Rusheen City Council Depot is on the left just after the Texaco station between Knocknacarra and Barna Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The city council are doing it too - gonna charge you a yoyo for it.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/060112_01.html says
    Christmas Tree Recycling

06 January 2012
    Galway City Council wish to advise members of the public that a "Christmas Tree Recycling Service" will be provided from:
    Monday 9th to Saturday 14th January 2012 between 09:00 & 15:00
    at the Barna / Lough Rusheen City Council Depot on Barna Road
    and the Merlin Woods City Council Depot at Doughiska Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    The council don't seem to be running one this year in Hunters Caravan park at Silver Strand.

I'm curious about this place name though - is it the same as the council depot at http://www.myloc8ion.com/index.php/maps/find_code8/?code=LVC-28-N86&x=1/

Or if it's somewhere else, can you tell me exactly where????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm curious about this place name though - is it the same as the council depot at http://www.myloc8ion.com/index.php/maps/find_code8/?code=LVC-28-N86&x=1/

Or if it's somewhere else, can you tell me exactly where????
    Same place. Was a caravan park years (12 maybe?) ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Robbo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the Christmas tree disposal depots are this year? I got mine from Coillte over by Bothar Stiofan there but they seem to have pulled plant instead of mulching them like last year.

Well wasn't this the biggest balls up ever (actually its a fairly modest balls up by Galway city Council standards) - They were only going to have 1 recycling centre this year but decided not to tell anyone about it except for a couple of small ads. Hence the Christmas trees were dumped in the usual locations. Also they never bothered to open th gates in Rusheen Bay so they boys who are doing the shredding had to clear them all away from inside the blocked gates where people threw them. Is there any forward planning in College road at all??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

A lot of people in City Hall must be the type who only get around to taking down the Christmas tree in March. :rolleyes:

I suspect the €1 charge will backfire, and it will cost more for the Council to clean up the "illegal dumping" of trees than it will gain with the charge.

Advertisement