Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 1: Chicken à la King

Options
  • 06-01-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey all, and welcome to the first post of Cooking Club 2012 :)

I've been reading all your tasty recipes for a year now, and now it's time for payback!

Ingredients (for 4)

3 Chicken breasts
    1 or 2 peppers
    1 or 2 onions
    (These quantities can be changed, depending on your taste – I used 3 chicken breasts, 1.5 peppers and 1 onion, for 4 people)

Vegetable oil
    50g Butter
    Three/four dessert spoons white, plain flour
    Three quarters of a pint Chicken stock (1 stock cube)
    Half pint Milk
    Three dessert spoons of mayonnaise
    Pepper

Rice/Cous cous/bread/quinoa – whatever you want to serve it with. I love a little bit of rice, and some crispy bread.

1) Chop the onions and peppers.
    2) Sweat the onions in 25g butter on a low heat until the smell in your kitchen makes your mouth water (and the onions are transparent – this is clearly less important)
    IMG_1538.jpg
    (Make sure to peek..)
    IMG_1537.jpg
    And finally they'll look like this..
    IMG_1539.jpg

3) Add peppers.
    4) Chop the chicken, and fry in small batches in vegetable oil, as you are cooking the vegetables. You could bake these also, if you wanted to reduce the calories (PAH!)
    IMG_1536.jpg

5) Add another 25g butter to the peppers and onions, once the peppers are cooked (this is not exact – it depends on how much sauce you want – you could increase this, increase the flour, and increase the stock/milk mix to give more sauce. However, this will lead to you being incredibly impolite, and lifting your bowl to pour the remaining sauce into your mouth. It's ok – we won't judge)
    IMG_1542.jpg

6) Add flour until the butter is soaked up – generally, for my quantities, this is 3/3.5 spoons. The picture below will give you a good idea of what this looks like. Depending on the freshness of the onion/pepper, this changes a little bit from time to time. Do not stress about this – this can be fixed later!
    IMG_1543.jpg

7) Dissolve a chicken stock cube in three quarters of a pint of hot water. Add the half pint of milk.
    8) Throw this into the pan with the vegetables, and stir with the joy that comes from knowing dinner is almost ready.
    IMG_1545.jpg

9) Bring to the boil, then back down to simmer to thicken. Add the chicken.
    (My favourite moment of this recipe is when it turns from the picture above into the picture below)
    IMG_1546.jpg

10) If you didn't add enough flour at 6), you can add a little more now (if the sauce isn't starting to thicken up after a couple of minutes). You will need to be careful to avoid lumps (I just break them up with a fork, as I am a classy mofo), and you will need to bring back to the boil again to get rid of the floury flavour, and then straight back down to simmer.

11) Season with a good amount of pepper – there's plenty of salt in the stock.
    12) Finally, turn off the heat (VERY IMPORTANT!), and add your mayonaise just before you serve. Depending on your taste, add more or less mayo – I use a good three or four heaped dessert spoons. Try adding two, and tasting to see how you feel about it.
    IMG_1548.jpg

(White wine vinegar, teaspoon of wholegrain mustard (lakeshore, with honey), pinch of salt and pepper, half a pinch of sugar, and then vegetable oil to emulsify as you're beating the crap out of it with a fork – generally this is a 2 to 1 ratio with the vinegar but I like my lips to BURN as I'm eating a salad, so it's probably more 1 to 1 for me!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

This looks lovely <modsnip>. Hope to cook it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

As soon as I saw this I thought...

:pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If we weren't going out tonight, I'd be all over this recipe straight away. Instead I shall wait until next weekend to make it for myself and the boyf! Good start to the 2012 cooking club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Thanks guys :D Hope ye enjoy! I'm probably gonna end up making this tomorrow again.. nom!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Dang, saw this too late! Have Nice1Franko's rice bake in the oven as we speak though :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we are having this tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Had this today. Very tasty and really simple.

Thanks.

So glad you liked it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Chicken à la Foo-King Delish!

Had this tonight, it's delicious.

Added some fried mushrooms just before serving.

DSCN0134.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Had this for dinner earlier and it was delicious. Thanks OP

rszdsc0938.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I made this tonight - very nice! I added mushrooms. I used Chicken Thighs instead of breast and baked them in the oven until crispy then poured the sauce over them to serve. I think it definitely took away from the flavour doing it this way. It could have done with a few herbs. Maybe some parsley. Thanks for sharing!

Sounds lovely Truley :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

Made this yesterday! Really nice and my boyfriend loved it too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Suebooroo

Nice one Jean for the detail!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Made this tonight, I had left over roast chicken from last night.

I fried off garlic and onions, then added peppers and mushrooms, made the sauce and added the roast chicken.

I had it with rice. When adding the flour I put in too much so the sauce was a bit too thick but very tasty.

Thanks op

wk1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I seem this today for the first time, and went straight out to get the chicken to make it!

Very very nice, quite rich! I can see why some would consider it to be a comfort food!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

this will be dinner in my house tonight :D. i'll try and post pics of the finished article, if i remember before diving into it. nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made this tonight, twas unreal! Very filling too, couldn't finish it, so having it again tomorrow. So easy and tasty, cheers Jean, will make it again definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Made this tonight, twas unreal! Very filling too, couldn't finish it, so having it again tomorrow. So easy and tasty, cheers Jean, will make it again definitely.

i did the same a couple days ago. made sooo much. the one thing i did do though was only put the mayo in the amount we were eating that night, not the stuff that was going to need re-heating. put that in after the reheat jobby!

hdowney wrote: »
    i did the same a couple days ago. made sooo much. the one thing i did do though was only put the mayo in the amount we were eating that night, not the stuff that was going to need re-heating. put that in after the reheat jobby!

I just realised I forgot the mayonnaise, oops! Luckily I have just as much left over to try with mayo tomorrow, so I can truly appreciate the secret ingredient!

• Advertisement

Is truly the secret of secretest ingredients, and makes it lovely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jean wrote: »
    Is truly the secret of secretest ingredients, and makes it lovely! :D
    Dang... I never used the Mayo! I'll have to make this again now to try this out (its gonna become a regular!)

Tried it with the mayonnaise, have to say I prefer it without! But I'm not really a fan of mayo anyway so it's probably because of that. Still very happily had it for dinner for three nights in a row though! (Estimating quantities is not my forte) Cheers Jean :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I liked this, though I think it was missing something. I'd say that's down to me, not the recipe. More mayo and pepper next time, perhaps.

Oh, I always put in an absolute s**tload of pepper, and mayo - just depends on your tastes!

I found the secret to making this recipe absolutely kick a**! I put about a gallon of sweet paprika in and it's amazing. I recommend trying this!

Ya know what, that sounds amazing - I will definitely try this my next time round :D

Would love to hear how you get on. It's very mild tasting so don't be afraid to put loads in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think we will have this tonight, we havent had it in ages :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Got around to making this tonight. Well, a veggie version of it!

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13348

Very nice, Jean. Thanks for the recipe!

Advertisement