Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats traffic like these days M1 to N1?

Options
  • 06-01-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

just wondering what traffic is like these days around the port tunnel where the M1 meets N1. When I last used to travel that way (a couple of years ago), it used to be a nightmare, and then along into Drumcondra. it would take you 30 mins just to get from junction 1 to dorset street.

Is it still this bad? If so, is the Malahide still a nightmare too?

Need to head into town a few times next week, and want to make sure I give myself enough time for the journey. Have to be at Merrion Sq by 8.30 am.

Your advice would be appreciated.
    thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I work near Merrion Sq and have driven into work a fair few times the past month.

Leaving from Swords, once I am out the door by 7:05 and hit the junction for Drumcondra off the M1 before 7:30 it's fine, small bit of traffic at whitehall but nothing to write home about.

Hit it at 7:35 and it's a whole different story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

If you're travelling from Rush/Lusk/Skerries, would the bus be an option or are you 100% travelling by car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Stheno wrote: »
    I work near Merrion Sq and have driven into work a fair few times the past month.

Leaving from Swords, once I am out the door by 7:05 and hit the junction for Drumcondra off the M1 before 7:30 it's fine, small bit of traffic at whitehall but nothing to write home about.

Hit it at 7:35 and it's a whole different story
    What time would you make it to Merrion Square at and what's it like getting over the Liffey as a matter of interest?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No later than 8, I go down gardiner st? then cross at the ifsc, then turn left after the ulster bank and it's pretty much a straight run all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

thanks for the replies folks.
    Unfortunately, car is the only option.

In the past I worked at Merrion Sq, and as another poster says, the main traffic was whitehall, once you get down gardiner street (or turn off in drumcondra and across mountjoy sq) and its grand.

A few weeks ago I had to head into town early in the morning, and I also only really hit traffic at whitehall & drumcondra.

In the old days I used to turn off at santry and kind of drive parallel via ballymun - that might work.

I will need to be at stephens green by 8.15, so I suppose once I leave by 7am I should be grand.

Anyone using the malahide road into town? is it manic that way as well?

• Advertisement

I left this morning at 7:10 and was in Leeson St. at 8:00

That's from Swords, and I'd to stop for petrol so I reckon you'll be fine :)

Do you have parking in the city centre? Btw the traffic in the evenings is far worse depending on when you hit it

And DUH it's Mountjoy Sq I turn off into :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I leave the house in Balbriggan at 7:30 and get into work in Park West between 8:10 & 8:15 each morning.

Over the Christmas when the schools were off, I was getting in about 8:00 ish

Hey folks,
    just an update for those of you that are interested.

If I leave Balbriggan at 7.00 ish, I'm over at Stephens Green by 7.45. Hit traffic at Port Tunnel/Whitehall up as far as Richmond Road. Slow but moving. Takes roughly 10-15mins to cover the distance from the port tunnel to Belvedere Road.

If I leave 7.10, get in by 8.00 - same thing at PT/Whitehall, although some days it can be a bit heavier (can take up to 20mins to cover same distance) - seems very random as to what days it is heavy. Occasionally if its looking really non-moving I head down Collins avenue towards Ballymun, up through Ballymun parallel to Swords Road and then turn left at end of Mobhi Road and into Drumcondra. If things are backed up in Whitehall this seems to move well - its a few miles extra, but can save you 10 mins if Whitehall is busy.

Left a week or two ago at 7.30 (slept late) and still got in by 8.30. And, with the kids off this week its only taking me 45-50 mins, even if I leave a bit later.

So generally, even with heavy traffic on the Swords Road, and even with the road works on the M1, the journey from Balbirggan to Leeson Street takes 40-45mins min to 1hour max.

Coming home, however, it a WHOLE other matter! Drumcondra/Whitehall again being the culprit - usually takes min 1hr 10 mins on a good day, up to 1hr 30mins on a bad day (usually because some muppet has tailended someone on the M1 near the airport/Drinan interchange).

Have tried heading up Richmond Road and then into Whitehall that way, tried coming up Ballymun road and up Collins Avenue or on to the M50 - both of these ways feel quicker, cos you are moving more, but generally it only makes a difference of 5-10mins at the most. Whatever you do don't head up the Malahide road in the evenings - it will suck your will to live!

Have yet to get home within an hour (even if I leave town at 3.30! the traffic in Drumcondra seems to get heavy from about 3pm onwards).

Because of the journey home, am getting the bus 2-3days a week. Crappily it leaves at the random time of 16.40 (?? :confused:) and initially I thought it would be a non-starter as I finish at 5.00, but luckily my employer is willing to be flexible with me and on those days let me take a shorter lunch. The one that goes straight from town through the port tunnel to Balbriggan and then Drogheda takes 55-60mins, occasionally 45-50mins if not many getting on at all the stops in town.

HTH

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Little Ted wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't head up the Malahide road in the evenings - it will suck your will to live!

Don't even contemplate it in the mornings either - Artane to Donnycarney literally moves at three cars per cycle of the lights due to the uniquely retarded bus lane/merge setup.

Remember that on the M1/N1 from Whitehall all the way to town, the bus lane ceases to operate from 10am-12pm, so if you're lucky enough to be heading in late, you'll absolutely fly. I've left home in Malahide at 10am and been at Dorset Street in 14 minutes thanks to this.

sdeire wrote: »
    Remember that on the M1/N1 from Whitehall all the way to town, the bus lane ceases to operate from 10am-12pm, so if you're lucky enough to be heading in late, you'll absolutely fly. I've left home in Malahide at 10am and been at Dorset Street in 14 minutes thanks to this.

yeah I find that great too - I sometimes have to go into town on a Saturday and by using the bus lane I'll be there in no time (but sshhhh keep it to yourself! lol I love whizzing up the bus lane while everyone else is sitting there waiting! simple pleasures! :P)

• Advertisement
Advertisement