Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation lasts years?

• 06-01-2012 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Anyone know how long rolled fibreglass insulation lasts? Ive read about 40 years but would the brand depend on how long it lasts or is 40 yeas a universal thing? Like Ive seen it for 13 a roll which is great but don't know if it will only last few years cause its so cheap or what story is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Glass fibre is an inert material so under the ideal conditions it should (in theory) last "forever". However its effectiveness as an insulant is affected by a number of things, and over time it will tend to sag or compress- reducing its heat retention properties but most significantly moisture build-up within the material (interstitial condensation) will prove most damaging. In a properly designed construction with measures to control air leakage and water vapour, combined with adequate ventilation, fibre glass should prove to be as effective as any other product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Thanks Jack. I guess all insulation is not made to last forever with the moisture in most attics due to cold. But sure it should last for 15, 20 years easily without any major damage shouldnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Try and minimise moisture vapour entering the roof space as best you can (sealing around pipes, cable entries etc- especially in bathrooms etc) and fibre glass will be fine, but ensure you have adequate ventilation in the roof void to prevent any moisture build-up. There's nothing "wrong" with fibre glass- but there are more effective insulating materials out there which, of course cost a lot more. You pays your money etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i am at the moment reinsulating attic space, it was insulated twenty years ago, and the thing has gone down to half its dept and seems to have come away at the edges, i let in situe, and put that cozy insulation over it, to a dept of eight inches, i am already feeling the difference,
    as i had felt that the house was getting colder and looked at every aspect and found that my insulation just flopped as i say, i am also in the crawl space, i live in a dormer, which was worse still, and very badly insulated, so there again i am giving it a good covering, all in all i will save in oil and make a much more noiseproof home, it is hard work, it is hard work in those crawl spaces, have to cut through the hardwall , hope i get it done within the week,

Advertisement