Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gay/trans friendly beauty therapists?

• 06-01-2012 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone knows of such? ideally in Limerick but I'm open to any of the main cities.

It's not that I get refused on the high street,but I get stares and giggles which I really think is very unfair.

I look quite well,my only crime is to have a penis,terribly gendered world.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

What treatments are you looking for? I'm amazed as my beauty therapists have told me they have lots of guys in and they don't sound like they think it's an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Nail extensions,maybe a little make up.

I get eyebrow shape a lot and that doesn't attract attention (although I was refused once in Cork,on grounds that they don't serve guys) but if enquire about make up nails I get giggles or stares, and I don't feel comfortable with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Those places obviously are not worth your custom! A paying customer is a paying customer no matter what and should be treated with the utmost respect no matter what gender they are.

Thanks,your right,I'm just tired of that experience.....so would really like somewhere where I'm fairly sure that won't happen,while not wanting to ghettoise myself either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Freiheit there are plenty of mobile beauty therapists that could call to your house, which would probably make the experience more comfortable for you. If you google mobile therapists in your area I'm sure you'll come up with something :)

• Advertisement

Ah looking for a mobile implies that I've special needs,which I don't..it rieks of the ghetto for me,I should just go in and as someone said above if the attitude is anything other than perfect then I won't darken their door again.....their loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Special needs? No! There are plenty of therapists who work in salons during the day and then do "nixers" in the evenings for reduced rates. Plenty of people can't make it to salons for various reasons (not necessarily special needs! Childcare, working hours, transport, etc). I'm not sure what you mean by "ghetto" :o

But anyway, you're right, a salon should treat every customer the same and if you're made feel uncomfortable anywhere then definitely take your custom elsewhere, after giving them a piece of your mind.

Went to Inglot today and found them very professional,no problems,maybe I was going to the wrong places.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Freiheit wrote: »
    Went to Inglot today and found them very professional,no problems,maybe I was going to the wrong places.

That's great you got sorted!

You could try MAC as well. I have seen a few of the male make up artists that work there in full faces of make up on - eye shadow, lashes etc, not just foundation. You could see if you get an appointment with one of them, they might know different techniques for male make up, or even have advice as to where to go for your other beauty needs, waxing, nails etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Alanerin218

Inglot are great, I would imagine you should get on well in there!

But just as a side note, I'm a Makeup Artist, and 90% am "mobile" and travel to clients. Almost everyone prefers to have their makeup done in the comfort of their own home!!

What kind of makeup are you looking for if you don't mind me asking? Just average Makeup as would be done on any woman or drag? I'm in the process now of learning drag makeup!

• Advertisement

Again Inglot were 'professional', no evidence of a clique.

While I respect drag it isn't a look I want for myself,I just feel better wearing make up and with nail decoration....feels truer of me,have been having facial hair removal over the past few years.

I think there's a bit of a transvestite stereotype,which is o.t.t. and can scare some people,but that isn't me at all,which is obvious when people meet me.

I'm ambitously hoping to have facial surgery in a few years to reduce the my chin and jawline,to soften my features.

I'm ambitously hoping to have facial surgery in a few years to reduce the my chin and jawline,to soften my features.

You should check out videos on "contouring" on Youtube. It's using blusher, bronzer and highlighter to create shadows and angles on the face and indeed soften features.

thumbs_zt.jpg

A good example of facial surgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Avon.Limerick

Hi Freiheit.

I'm a Avon rep in Limerick, and I happen to be a drag queen. As such, I'm used to the various techniques involved in transformation make up, and I give free advice to everyone as well. Let me know if you'd like to meet up for a consultation/makeover.

Thanks a mil,
    Niall :)

Thanks,to be honest make up was a bit of an obsession for a while,much less so now.

To be more honest a few years ago I would have never wanted to association with a drag queen,but as I've grown more comfortable with myself,taken a broader,more critical,more relaxed approach to gender I actually now think drag queens and kings are pretty cool,it's quite creative,quite an art really.

Your mobile remains in my email inbox as the original notification contained the original thread,I'm not are urgently looking for anyone now,life has gotten in the way to be honest!:) and Inglot did seem very professional and treated me normally,but for the future I'll keep you in mind. Have you worked in Brown Thomas or Debenhams? I noticed guys working there?. Are you bleached blond with short hair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Ah looking for a mobile implies that I've special needs,which I don't..it rieks of the ghetto for me,I should just go in and as someone said above if the attitude is anything other than perfect then I won't darken their door again.....their loss.

I dont know how you've come to the special needs conclusion. alot of people are working during beauty salon hours. Or just feel more comfortable at home.

Nothing special needs about using a home service,so long as one doesn't need to use it. My manhood has felt like a disability.

Hey,

That's no problem. You can keep me in mind if you need anything in future, even it's just advice. No, i've never worked in BT or Debenham's unfortunately. Would love to, but I'm kept busy with Avon at the moment.

Thanks a mil,
    Niall

I'd really like to meet Drag performers...do you do shows?....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

thumbs_zt.jpg

A good example of facial surgery.

There's a nose job going on there too I think!

• Advertisement

Nothing special needs about using a home service,so long as one doesn't need to use it. My manhood has felt like a disability.

????

Nose job is quite common in these procedures

Another (if the paste works!)
    Mandible.aspx?fn=Case4PreOpSmall.jpgMandible.aspx?fn=Case4OneYearSmall.jpg
    In my dreams I look like her.

A disability is something that makes your life harder and being a guy has made my life harder in these circles. But I'll try to be less sensitive.

I do, yeah! My stage name's Connie Liebe. You can add me if you like: www.facebook.com/connieliebe :)

I do, yeah! My stage name's Connie Liebe. You can add me if you like: www.facebook.com/connieliebe :)

i had to have a look, you do make up and dress better than me:eek:

booboo88 wrote: »
    i had to have a look, you do make up and dress better than me:eek:

Haha thanks! Always happy to give advice if anyone needs it. Just message me :)

I've actually never been to a show where drag kings or queens featured,update me on Facebook and I'll go along some time!. Do Dolans in Limerick still host Alternative Miss Limerick?.

Please stay on topic, take personal conversation to Private Message. Thank you.

Ok does anyone know of mobile hairdressers in Limerick?.

Advertisement