Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modules for Stage 1 Neuroscience

Options
  • 06-01-2012 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

After getting a ridiculous auto-reply from the progam office, arsing throught the useless module registration tab and losing myself on the ****ty ucd website, I've decided to pose a question here on boards to see if somebody can help me.

I'm doing stage 1 science (general enrty) and for the first semester I took mostly physics and maths modules and a Chemistry module. However, from semester two onwards I'd like to change my course path to Neuriscience. Is this possible? I surely hope so seeing as how stage one general science is supposed to let you explore your options!

I'm wondering what modules I'll need to take in semester two and what core nueroscience modules I missed in semester 1 and if I'd be able to take them next year.

I managed to find this link but can't seem to be able to select these modules in my SIS web. :-(

http://www.ucd.ie/sbbs/undergraduatestudents/neuroscience/neuroscienceprogramme/

Any help as to how I might go about changing from physics to neuroscience would be greatly appreciated :-) Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

Hey, so the science course has changed since I went through first year but I'll try my best to help you! I'm third year now and I've taken around half the neuro modules offered through the years. As far as I'm aware first year there are no actual 'mandatory' neuro related modules. There used to be one for denominated first year students but I'm pretty sure that's abolished with the new system and it wasn't necessary to take it anyway for omnibus entry students. So when you're talking about neuro in first year you're really talking biology modules. Did you take any biology at all first semester? If you haven't you need to catch up on all of them and if you have some you need to find out what ones are mandatory and if you've missed any.

I just checked the website there. It says that cells genes and microbes, animal diversity, intro to phys and topics in neuroscience are are all mandatory biology and that you have to take the 'easy' math and the two chem modules. I wouldn't trust that website as far as I could throw it though so don't rely on that. I may not have even been updated.

What you really need is the second year handbook but because you're the pilot year of the programme it doesn't exist yet which is a pain. It used to tell you exactly what modules you needed for every stream in UCD science.

My advice would be go to the programme office in person and make them talk to you, and to be very very careful. If you haven't taken a whole handful of modules just be wary, both of the cost of doing them all, it'll add up, and the chance that if you take those modules on top of all your second semester cores it could be too much. You don't want to be failing modules over something you aren't going to be streamed into until second year. Especially when failing modules will effect your GPA and neuroscience is so competitive to get into. I'm not saying you will fail, at all, just to be careful. Those chem modules were both second semester when I was a first year and they're fairly work intensive, probably the most work intensive of first year. All these modules have three hour labs to go with them!

It's just dawned on me that you may (probably) won't be allowed take a lot of these modules til next year either because they're cores that run once. That involves staying in first year for first semester of next year just keep that in mind.

The last thing I'll say is you're only just finished first semester. Wait for your results, you might just surprise yourself, and don't box yourself in just yet. I started omnibus science certain I'd do genetics and now I run from those modules. I'm in pharmacology. I decided the day before my stream form was due in. If you think you want to do a biology based science catch up on the modules if it isn't out of the question but GO TO THE PROGRAMME OFFICE

Good luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

Thanks :-) That was very helpful, I really hope I can make up for the modules I missed. I've been meaning to talk to the programme ofice in person but I haven't been in Dublin over the holidays.

You said something about staying in first year for the first semester of next year.. How does that work exactly? :-P What about semester 1 modules for stage two?

So some core modules (most bar the likes of math I think) will only run an exam repeat option second semester. Since you haven't taken the module you won't be eligible to sit it because you haven't taken the lectures. That means you have to take the module in first semester of next year. If it's core for what you stream for in second year (which it will be if you're taking it) then you will be considered to have not completed first year as far as they're concerned.

You'll hear students call it stage X. The university aren't too fond of that name though. I have a friend who swapped to genetics this year. I can't remember what he swapped from but he was technically a second year while he completed the two cores he was missing. It's your choice as to whether you do the second year second semester modules as far as I'm aware. Keep in mind that will put your whole degree out of sync for the following years though so some people take the second semester out. (I have another friend in neuro who missed the first semester third year exams. He's in fourth year now and didn't take the semester and it's causing him real issues with his project now.)

Again this is all just to the best of my knowledge the program office will have the more correct information if you can get a hold of them (easier said than done) If there's any chance you can get back to Dublin before term starts to physically see them do it. They're far more likely to help you before term starts. They'll be up to their eyeballs first week back in silly things like moving labs. Doesn't put them in the best of moods ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭seXmym0nkey

Cool, thank you very much :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

Here Im in stage 1 so I have the new system same as you.. I'm looking to do Neuro aswell. Basically in stage 1 theres nothing manditory for neuro except Foundations of Physics (or intro to physics, not sure of the name), however if you got above a Higher C3 in leavin cert physics, you don't have to do it.

Now, the only issue is that Neuro is part of the BBB stream of Science. I am assuming you're not in that. You are allowed to switch streams quite easily I believe, I'm not entirely sure if you would have to catch up on the core bio module(s) we would have done in first semester.

I spoke to some representitive from Neuro in September and he basically told me the physics thing was all they required, so I would say you're in with as good a chance as the rest of us! I hear it's quite competitve to get into though :/

• Advertisement

Here Im in stage 1 so I have the new system same as you.. I'm looking to do Neuro aswell. Basically in stage 1 theres nothing manditory for neuro except Foundations of Physics (or intro to physics, not sure of the name), however if you got above a Higher C3 in leavin cert physics, you don't have to do it.

Now, the only issue is that Neuro is part of the BBB stream of Science. I am assuming you're not in that. You are allowed to switch streams quite easily I believe, I'm not entirely sure if you would have to catch up on the core bio module(s) we would have done in first semester.

I spoke to some representitive from Neuro in September and he basically told me the physics thing was all they required, so I would say you're in with as good a chance as the rest of us! I hear it's quite competitve to get into though :/

Whoever told you you just need physics was talking to you as a streamed BBB student. Just keep in mind those biology modules you took that the OP didn't are cores too they were just pre-selected for you. It isn't quite so easy as saying they just need physics if they're going to continue biology into second year they absolutely have to catch up on those modules somehow. As far as the university are concerned they aren't qualified to stream for neuro right now just the same way as as a BBB student you wouldn't be qualified to stream physics in second year :rolleyes::)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sh1tin-a-brick

That's true, however after completing the core bio module, I'm about 90% certain it counts for nothing towards your degree path. Bio10100 was about diversity of animals/plants/bacteria, quite irrelevant to neuro or anything else apart from microbiology or zoology really. From what I can tell, first year has very little influence on what degree path you take, I definitely read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember my source :L) that changing streams/paths is easy in first year.

When I spoke to the neuro rep, he was keen to hear that I took Chem10040 and Comp10010, they seem more interested in a base of chemistry, physics etc more so than the Bio modules (in semester 1 that is). I think that the Biomed module and the genetics module which are core for Semester 2 will be more important. The OP mentioned changing streams before semester 2, this should be completely fine.

That's true, however after completing the core bio module, I'm about 90% certain it counts for nothing towards your degree path. Bio10100 was about diversity of animals/plants/bacteria, quite irrelevant to neuro or anything else apart from microbiology or zoology really. From what I can tell, first year has very little influence on what degree path you take, I definitely read somewhere (can't for the life of me remember my source :L) that changing streams/paths is easy in first year.

When I spoke to the neuro rep, he was keen to hear that I took Chem10040 and Comp10010, they seem more interested in a base of chemistry, physics etc more so than the Bio modules (in semester 1 that is). I think that the Biomed module and the genetics module which are core for Semester 2 will be more important. The OP mentioned changing streams before semester 2, this should be completely fine.

Oh most of first year has sweet f all to do with anything, that's true, but when I was looking to apply for neuro (I ended up doing pharm instead) animal diversity was core. I can tell you now that comp and first year chem have little to do with it either. It's all about filling the requirements and these are all requirements. Chem 10040 is chem and the modern world or something if I remember correctly. It's an optional module, some people wouldn't have taken it and that's where the interest in you taking it is coming from. Comp is also optional. If you're streamed BBB you took animal diversity, they assume that, and thats why they show no interest in whether you took it or not. It's supposed to be a given. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Don't do it, it's a slippery slope :rolleyes:

Advertisement