Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

RoverJames wrote: »
    ... not to someone who wants a 530i :)
    The diesel love on here is sickening at times, fair enough if anyone needs or wants to run a diesel but lots of people are quite happy running petrol cars.

Have you driven a 530d?

Or even a 320 cdi?

i drove an E320 cdi and a 630i, reckoned the 320 would give the 630 a run for it's bobs, it also sounded nicer and felt faster.

Have you driven a 530d?

Or even a 320 cdi?

i drove an E320 cdi and a 630i, reckoned the 320 would give the 630 a run for it's bobs, it also sounded nicer and felt faster.

I've driven a 530d and a 530i, never even sat in a 6 series and haven't driven a 320cdi but was in a fully loaded S class diesel taxi last week in Milan and the driver was driving the ring off it (as they do over there), it didn't sound bad to be fair but no where near as nice as the BMW straight 6 petrols.

Most diesels feel faster than they are, torque is deceptive as you know.

I don't really want to have a petrol v diesel debate (and this thread isn't the place for it anyway) but this has all stemmed from a 2001 530i M sport with €800 worth of tax meaning the car has an asking price of €2000 ish, as I've said for anyone wanting a 530i the 530d won't appeal.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I've driven a 530d and a 530i, never even sat in a 6 series and haven't driven a 320cdi but was in a fully loaded S class diesel taxi last week in Milan and the driver was driving the ring off it (as they do over there), it didn't sound bad to be fair but no where near as nice as the BMW straight 6 petrols.

Most diesels feel faster than they are, torque is deceptive as you know.

I don't really want to have a petrol v diesel debate (and this thread isn't the place for it anyway) but this has all stemmed from a 2001 530i M sport with €800 worth of tax meaning the car has an asking price of €2000 ish, as I've said for anyone wanting a 530i the 530d won't appeal.

Hence the "Felt" quicker. Drove a 03 S320cdi, no where near as quick as the E class.

Anywho, back to bangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Well while we are on E39's............
    It would be rude NOT to!!!!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3540776
    Full-12549638.jpeg

My daily drive for the last 3 years
    I feel I am pricing it realistically and describing honestly, but please feel free to tear strips off me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Buy it for maybe 2,500.

Take the cost of a 1.4's tax off it and you save maybe 500 euro over the course of the next year.

Realistic mpg? 20? Maybe 25 on a good day?

i would only buy that car if i was confident i could afford to waste my money purely on petrol, and with the view of getting maybe a grand to 1200 for it come March or April next year.

Screw the fuel consumption sure, it's a nice car, and with all that tax drive it as a weekend car until March next year and then shift it on.
    On the assumption that the car is as clean as it looks in the pictures which, to be honest, the odds are against.

I'd say that car is as clean as it looks. I'd put my money on it being an enthusiast owned car or something like that and hence taken care of.
    A remapped 530d would make a lot more sense to be honest.

This is what I just cannot agree on. The 530d is still going to have 2.9 litre tax on it and fuel economy would be around 30-35mpg. It would also be logical to assume that if buying a car for €3k that the buyer wouldn't have piles of cash to throw at the car should something go wrong. I'd hate to see the bill's for something going wrong on a 530d and would imagine a 530i would be more reliable.
    Have you driven a 530d?

Or even a 320 cdi?

I'm not buying this. As good as Merc V6 diesels are, a petrol straight 6 is a far nicer sound. Maybe you're just used to the tractor that is the VW TDI... :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

more cars per chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mad_Mike wrote: »

I feel I am pricing it realistically and describing honestly, but please feel free to tear strips off me! :D

Looks like a very nice genuine car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Mad_Mike wrote: »

Full-12549638.jpeg

Very nice car Nice to see lots of photos and paperwork together with honest details of recent history.How many owners? You should have no problem selling this nice car
    Best Wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

MidlandsM wrote: »
    more cars per chance?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3531682

S40 with new nct, and 2 months tax left. With leather seats.
    Not bad, if as clean inside as it looks....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

04 trajet diesel for €1750. No mention of test but def worth a look

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3489993

Cheap and chancey, not real bangeromics as no test, but 1295 for an 04 mondeo is good enough
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3513046

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3416545

This car has given me an idea.
    I think I should buy it, swap the heated seats for my non heated, and sell it for a couple hundred less.

Genius!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Jimdagym wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3416545

This car has given me an idea.
    I think I should buy it, swap the heated seats for my non heated, and sell it for a couple hundred less.

Genius!!!!!

The wheels look to be in great shape as well if your own could use an upgrade :)

166man wrote: »
    Screw the fuel consumption sure, it's a nice car, and with all that tax drive it as a weekend car until March next year and then shift it on.

Screw the fuel comsumption? How do you plan on insuring a 530i for weekend use and screwing the fuel consumption?
    I'd say that car is as clean as it looks. I'd put my money on it being an enthusiast owned car or something like that and hence taken care of.

i can't comment further on this as it's an endless arguement!
    This is what I just cannot agree on. The 530d is still going to have 2.9 litre tax on it and fuel economy would be around 30-35mpg. It would also be logical to assume that if buying a car for €3k that the buyer wouldn't have piles of cash to throw at the car should something go wrong. I'd hate to see the bill's for something going wrong on a 530d and would imagine a 530i would be more reliable.

Yes, that's 15 miles (no kms) more per gallon of fuel! That alot, and the fact that diesel is about 10 cent cheaper than petrol makes it more again.

Also, if anything went wrong with that 530i i'd love to see a fella trying to find parts for one! Plenty of 530d's around and little 530i's all for good reason!
    I'm not buying this. As good as Merc V6 diesels are, a petrol straight 6 is a far nicer sound. Maybe you're just used to the tractor that is the VW TDI... :p

This argument makes little sense and there for i refuse to bother commenting any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Donegal is a beautiful county,however, I wouldn't buy a DL reg car either.Indeed cars with border county reg plates I rule out straight away.They may suggest an import and may have had the crap driven out of them by numerous previous owners!
    thats a bit like saying i wouldnt buy a red car or a white car,your choice but cant see the logic myself.plenty of cars incities get the crap drove out of them too .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Very nice car Nice to see lots of photos and paperwork together with honest details of recent history.How many owners? You should have no problem selling this nice car
    Best Wishes

Cheers. It really is a lovely car, but I have a 2002 manual here now, so the time has come to move this one on. To be fair, I keep taxing it and leaving the 02 sitting there!! :D It kills me to give her up as the replacement isnt a patch on it. No MFSW, cruise control and no leather and the interior is very dark compared to the cream leather on this one. I could still end up selling the 02 and keeping her as I have had absolutely no interest at all!! :eek: It was kept for 4 years by first owner and then 3 years by 2nd owner and the third owner had it for just under a year before I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Screw the fuel comsumption? How do you plan on insuring a 530i for weekend use and screwing the fuel consumption?

I wasn't talking about me buying it. But if somebody did it would be kept as a weekend car and driven occasionally. With all that tax on it you could afford to fuel it for a couple of months.

i can't comment further on this as it's an endless arguement!

Yes, that's 15 miles (no kms) more per gallon of fuel! That alot, and the fact that diesel is about 10 cent cheaper than petrol makes it more again.

Also, if anything went wrong with that 530i i'd love to see a fella trying to find parts for one! Plenty of 530d's around and little 530i's all for good reason!

Quite a few straight six BMW's around too. If you're trying to argue that a 530d would be more reliable than a 530i than I don't really know what to say.

This argument makes little sense and there for i refuse to bother commenting any further.

It makes much sense actually. You're trying to say that a 320CDI sounds nicer than a BMW straight six, and I'm saying you're wrong. Simples :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds?cid=3566583&utm_source=EmailFriend&utm_medium=email
    Checked this one out today
    Lovely car in the spec I'm after, shame about colour
    Couldn't find any fault with it only I'd be 7th owner
    What could possibly go wrong?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Advertisement

sambucus wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds?cid=3566583&utm_source=EmailFriend&utm_medium=email

why don't you buy it then?

MidlandsM wrote: »

why don't you buy it then?

Good point
    Want to find out about the "click" coming from the front right on acceleration and deceleration
    Will get it this week hopefully

Red, 6 owners and 100k miles.

Wouldn't be a car for me!

03 ka with plenty miles for €950

Not poverty spec either.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3570222

colm_mcm wrote: »
    03 ka with plenty miles for €950

Not poverty spec either.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3570222

100k is nothing on those rattley old 1.3's.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Saw that one had a general air of neglect seemed to have a very good engine HALF leather 150k MILES tho worth a punt for the right person. Left front tyre rubs at full right hand lock. Not too bad tempted me few other relatively minor issues

Red, 6 owners and 100k miles.

Wouldn't be a car for me!

Would you consider 6 owners excessive? My gte mk2 cortina had 20 back in the day!(1991 back in nz where the average age of cars on the road is way older than here)

Would you consider 6 owners excessive? My gte mk2 cortina had 20 back in the day!(1991 back in nz where the average age of cars on the road is way older than here)

My 95 Merc had about 12 owners when i bought it.

On a 03 car, 6 owners would concern me.

Now, it could have been a demo, so that would knock it down to 5, then 5 over 8 9 years would be just under an owner per 2 years which isn't so bad.

• Advertisement

My 95 Merc had about 12 owners when i bought it.

On a 03 car, 6 owners would concern me.

Now, it could have been a demo, so that would knock it down to 5, then 5 over 8 9 years would be just under an owner per 2 years which isn't so bad.

Yes 6 owners and the fact that the owner has only had it a month she says that she has a Opel insignia company car now as reason for sale. That is the biggest worry.

Car is pristine with service book stamped to 90K miles on 110K now. Does 4500 rpm and not a hint of smoke in neutral. 2nd gear to 5000 an absolute rocket.

Guess I need to get it checked by a proper mechanic tho with its history

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement