Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Lol
    166man wrote: »
    Fair enough. A bad experience with a brand is a good reason not to return but just out of curiosity, which model did you have and what went wrong?

156 , everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You honestly think that a 12 year old 166 3.0 v6 ia worth more than a grand?

The right one could very well be for an enthusiast buyer! TB just done would double the value compared to one due :D

unkel wrote: »
    The right one could very well be for an enthusiast buyer! TB just done would double the value compared to one due :D

Would not take it for free!:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There's a 05 3.2 V6 going around Limerick since new (haven't seen it in a while). He had it up forsale for around 13k not so long ago.

Now, that's something I'd give 2k for!

There's a 05 3.2 V6 going around Limerick since new (haven't seen it in a while). He had it up forsale for around 13k not so long ago.

I won't knock you down in the rush;)

• Advertisement

Sure you would :D

One of the very last cars with the Alfa V6 engine. 166 man is right that one day it will be a classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sure you would :D

One of the very last cars with the Alfa V6 engine. 166 man is right that one day it will be a classic!

I'm sure it will...

I'm sure.

The main reason the 166 will become a classic is rarity of course. Almost all of them will have been scrapped by the time the car will be a classic. Especially so for a late one with one of the last Busso engines ever produced. The end of that engine was the end of an era for Alfa Romeo :(

.......... Almost all of them will have been scrapped by the time the car will be a classic.............

Not long so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3617439

97 Carina in decent looking condition, electric windows and mirrors too :pac: 6 months test, regardless of the hidden mileage, dare i say its worth the asking price? get the 80 quid off for 3 months tax and your away with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

You honestly think that a 12 year old 166 3.0 v6 ia worth more than a grand? General maintenance is something that has to be done on a car, it doesn't add value to a car, rather, it takes value away from it when its not done.

Just because your Dad had Alfas doesn't make them worth anymore. A very good friend of mine has had more Alfas in his time than you'll ever see and he doesn't blindy defend them or their reliability, every one he has had has given him awful hassle but he doesn't mind that as he can work on them. Parts are expensive second hand, I know this because I've gotten them for him. Old Alfas are unreliable, worthless cars that require more expensive maintenance than other cars, this isn't myth it's fact.

I know you know your cars but seeing this kind of arrogance is surprising. Also not every 12 year old V6 is worth, €2k but I believe that one is assuming its been minded, which I reckon it has. Knackered old 2.0 twin sparks are going for €1k these days remember. Timing belt just done will add quite a but if value because it was done. :)

How much experience of Alfa's have you got experience with? Ever been in/owned a 166? They're a completely different car to be in than most on the road. I don't blindly defend them either, I know they can be unreliable if poorly maintained, and that small stuff goes wrong but the fact is the look stunning and drive very well. That's enough for me. Your last sentence is just so far wrong I couldn't even be bothered replying to it.

@delthedriver - perhaps you could explain what exactly went wrong instead of just saying "everything". Also I would agree that many of the earlier models 156 weren't the best for reliability. But then again with most manufacturers it takes a few years to iron issues out doesn't it?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Not long so :)

Coming from the Rover driver/owner... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

While that Alfa is delicious, and a great find, I just couldn't justify over 2000 for it!!

Not after being around an stype jag like the king of bangernomics here.

I'd think 1500 would be a good price.
    Never being in one and never being in an Alfa with that engine but id say it's a peach.

.......... Knackered old 2.0 twin sparks are going for €1k these days remember. .........

Quite a bit less than a grand I would say.

You sure about that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Alrite, back to the bangers and less chitchat...........

here's a good straight honest looking E39 bm .........taxed,tested and a towbar!
    (need to get rid of the m5 badges)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3693954

View2-13251601.jpeg

...............Knackered old 2.0 twin sparks are going for €1k these days remember. ...........
    You sure about that?

100%
    Do you think anyone is dim enough to spend €1000 on a "Knackered old 2.0 twin spark.."?

100%
    Do you think anyone is dim enough to spend €1000 on a "Knackered old 2.0 twin spark.."?

Even 10 year old 166's out there with bodywork that could hardly be described as mint are in or around the €1k mark.

Anyway as MM said agree to disagree and move on. That E39 could be a nice buy or a money put though..

ehhhhhhhhhhhh wtf? I never said agree to disagree etc?

if ye want to chat/talk/bitch/argue, what not pm each other.......

ohhhh, and any chance of more cars???

Even 10 year old 166's out there with bodywork that could hardly be described as mint are in or around the €1k mark. .........

So in the context of a 12 year old V6 a 10 year old 166 with hardly mint bodywork is what were referring to when you said a knackered old twin spark? :rolleyes: Asking in or around the grand and what they go for are not the same thing btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Cmon Lads, steer away from the Bitchanomics and back to Bangers please:(

gonzo1 wrote: »
    Cmon Lads, steer away from the Bitchanomics and back to Bangers please:(

yep, ........

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3598654

View2?id=13253336

lots of NCT until 27/06/13 Fiat punto, red, 1.2, 5dr, airbags, ele windows, power steering/city steering, cd player, central locking etc...Head gasket, thermostat, water pump replaced 3 weeks ago... Call txt or email anytime... €1000ono

daycent.......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I fell in love with my 166 but even I can't justify that price for one, with that engine.

Remember, despite the bang on the rear quarter, my 166 came with about 5 months NCT when I bought it, for less than a quarter of the price of that Super...

3.0 tax and peoples opinions on Alfas are what kills the value of these cars, pity!

Now if it were a 3.2 for 2200.... Snap it up!

The really cheap tested ones are out there, if you hunt hard enough ;)

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ehhhhhhhhhhhh wtf? I never said agree to disagree etc?

if ye want to chat/talk/bitch/argue, what not pm each other.......

ohhhh, and any chance of more cars???

Sorry about that I meant to say as you said more bangernomics, so we can agree to disagree. Oops I should have edited the post. :(

Here you go

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3677901

Test for a few months and it's diesel. Haven't really seen many diesel primeras before though..

cheap derv burner there!

ok, here's a cheap chunky practical SUV ....

View2-12823234.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3603773

88k miles, new nct, Spotless he says, new NCT ,fully serviced needs nothing , runnng perfect , tyres 80 % oil changed at every 1500 km , brakes 100 % , 6 cd player , raido & tape player , sun roof

these yokes are a pig on fuel,and when you buy it, you'll be welded to it, but then thats why its cheap!

dgt wrote: »
    I fell in love with my 166 but even I can't justify that price for one, with that engine.

Remember, despite the bang on the rear quarter, my 166 came with about 5 months NCT when I bought it, for less than a quarter of the price of that Super...

3.0 tax and peoples opinions on Alfas are what kills the value of these cars, pity!

Now if it were a 3.2 for 2200.... Snap it up!

The really cheap tested ones are out there, if you hunt hard enough ;)

You make a good point, but mine is that, IF that car were to be genuine and a real minter then I think it's worth the €2k you pay for it. To some people with no much knowledge of Alfa's it might seem an overpriced Italian Saloon with a big engine and crap reliability.

I still go back to my OP and would reckon that for as rare a car as that is , it's worth it to buy and keep as a future classic. If I had the space and could get insurance on it I'd be having a good look at it myself.

There ain't too many 3.0 V6 Super's out there in Manual either!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're after a 3 litre manual 166 you won't do better. Can we move on though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

another hack at cheap motoring. 95 corolla, 4 new tyres, 13 months test, 2 months tax, fresh looking car. €850 but surely they would drop.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3692376

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If all the work claimed in the ad has been done, that car would give you a few years of trouble-free motoring and I'd say you'd get it for €750 or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

MidlandsM wrote: »

is it the 8 valve or 16 valve that gives head problems?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement