Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

That looks very clean in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

The SEAT Ibiza is sold....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I've entered the bangernomics world again after a long hiatus.

Picked up a 99 Almera 1.6 Auto (i know) taxed 03/13 nct'd untill the end of the year. Drives like a dream, seller wanted a no nonsense sale. €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

I Was VB wrote: »
    I've entered the bangernomics world again after a long hiatus.

Picked up a 99 Almera 1.6 Auto (i know) taxed 03/13 nct'd untill the end of the year. Drives like a dream, seller wanted a no nonsense sale. €200.

Wow, that was cheap. Good luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

cgal093 wrote: »
    Wow, that was cheap. Good luck with it! :)

Its just gonna be used for a second car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

I Was VB wrote: »
    Its just gonna be used for a second car.

If I had the room I'd have about 20 second cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sunny2012

A fantastic looking car. I'd buy it only I'm emigrating in a month.

No leather, 00 Maxima, NCT 'till 04/13 asking €975 in Kildare, 120k miles...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3698588

View2-13274656.jpeg

Shorter test (Jan 2013) 2002 Maxima, yet again no leather but only 76k miles according to the add, Carlow, asking €1650.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3699523

View2-13279420.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Something endearing about those maximas rj. Look at the contact email for the first barge though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I appreciate this is not bangernomics in the true sense of the word (in any sense of the word), but it seems like a huge amout of car for small money if it checks out:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3669068
    View2-13133218.jpeg

It has been on sale for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The last Chroma I saw was in a Fiat showroom that no longer exists!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Haha I know that car from when I did field sales before, think its in loughrea if I'm not mistaken.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Haha I know that car from when I did field sales before, think its in loughrea if I'm not mistaken.

Prices of fields have dropped in the last few years!

Actually, I was out cutting silage last week and the farmer who owns the land was out in the middle of the field standing there with his arms crossed for the bones of an hour.

I went over to him and asked him what he was doing and he said "I saw a fella fellas on telly got awards for being out standing in their fields!"

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Prices of fields have dropped in the last few years!

Actually, I was out cutting silage last week and the farmer who owns the land was out in the middle of the field standing there with his arms crossed for the bones of an hour.

I went over to him and asked him what he was doing and he said "I saw a fella fellas on telly got awards for being out standing in their fields!"

Oh lord...your abusing your mod privileges by dumping that one on us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Prefer the 80s Croma myself ;)

Rare as rocking horse poop nowadays :(

There was even a 2.0IDTD... Direct injection turbo diesel circa 1987! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

dgt wrote: »
    Prefer the 80s Croma myself ;)

Rare as rocking horse poop nowadays :(

There was even a 2.0IDTD... Direct injection turbo diesel circa 1987! :cool:

Amazing how big Fiats have invariably failed miserably. Nothing to do with the car, its sibling the Saab 9000 did fine! Likewise im sure the noughties Croma was a decent car with a wonderful JTD engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I presume that's the same engine in the GT?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yep. It looks very 00-03 avensis round the front doesn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

maidhc wrote: »
    Amazing how big Fiats have invariably failed miserably. Nothing to do with the car, its sibling the Saab 9000 did fine! Likewise im sure the noughties Croma was a decent car with a wonderful JTD engine.

Fiats are usually small and zippy or small and fast. The big car image doesn't fit....

Wouldn't mind getting an Argenta or 130 Coupe though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

166man wrote: »

Don't want to go off topic, but are there any known issues with s60? This is another one that pops out for less than 1k, and it is a lot of car for the money. I know it is thirsty, but tax is manageable, as it is less than 2 litres actually.
    They don't look as old as they are and 2.0 petrol seems to be powerful enough... Do you think it is a good idea to buy one?
    Anything particular to look for when viewing and test driving one of those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Don't know if it's a common fault but got a lift off a friend in his one to a wedding last weekend and there was some noise coming from under the bonnet. Sounded like the turbo had packed in and the engine was struggling to maintain motorway speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Gizza pm / shout when that time comes!

Dibs number two if Kobe Miniature Runway decides to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

tuborg_man wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3685437
    Merc e220 w124 from 1999, never seen one that late,
    1000 euro

manual box though :(

I was in that a few weeks ago.Lovely car,just had its handbrake done.The interior and trim are lovely and for 1000 euro its a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Alrite, back to the bangers and less chitchat...........

here's a good straight honest looking E39 bm .........taxed,tested and a towbar!
    (need to get rid of the m5 badges)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3693954

View2-13251601.jpeg

Just bought a much cleaner one for 1450. I'd say you'd get that for a bag of sand

Just bought a much cleaner one for 1450. I'd say you'd get that for a bag of sand

A 99 for 1450?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

A 99 for 1450?

No a 00. Clean 2.0's are going for more money that the 2.2 models which came out in 01 due to road tax. Mine passed the NCT 3 weeks before I bought it and had €600 spent on it (with receipts) to get it through the nct. Nearly new leather interior from a 530d sport installed and all the lights as well. I know you can pick up sheds for 750 but all I had to do was tax it. If I broke it I'd get €250 for the alloys, €450 for the interior & €150 for the lights and if I just wanted to leave the rest to the scrappers I'd get €150. That's a €1000. What's the worst that could happen Bangernomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

No a 00. Clean 2.0's are going for more money that the 2.2 models which came out in 01 due to road tax. Mine passed the NCT 3 weeks before I bought it and had €600 spent on it (with receipts) to get it through the nct. Nearly new leather interior from a 530d sport installed and all the lights as well. I know you can pick up sheds for 750 but all I had to do was tax it. If I broke it I'd get €250 for the alloys, €450 for the interior & €150 for the lights and if I just wanted to leave the rest to the scrappers I'd get €150. That's a €1000. What's the worst that could happen Bangernomics.

Careful what you wish for. Mine ('97 E200) let me down 300 miles from home. Car was immobile and I wasn't thinking about breaking it. Burning it crossed my mind actually.

Anyway well wear ! Sounds like you got a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sambucus

wonski wrote: »
    166man wrote: »

Don't want to go off topic, but are there any known issues with s60? This is another one that pops out for less than 1k, and it is a lot of car for the money. I know it is thirsty, but tax is manageable, as it is less than 2 litres actually.
    They don't look as old as they are and 2.0 petrol seems to be powerful enough... Do you think it is a good idea to buy one?
    Anything particular to look for when viewing and test driving one of those?

I got one 3 weeks ago done over 1K miles in it so far. 5 cyl 1984cc petrol turbo 2001. 108K miles delighted with it.
    Things I was looking out for being a heavy car was bushings, wishbone tierods etc and all the cars I looked at had very quiet engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

sambucus wrote: »
    I got one 3 weeks ago done over 1K miles in it so far. 5 cyl 1984cc petrol turbo 2001. 108K miles delighted with it.
    Things I was looking out for being a heavy car was bushings, wishbone tierods etc and all the cars I looked at had very quiet engines.

Thanks. Was more worried about issues with turbo's, but after some reading it seems to be reliable car. Will have a look. Not desperate to buy one know, which makes it easier to find the right one. Good luck with yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvo is gone. How much were they looking for?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement