Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

MidlandsM wrote: »
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Now they're all bangernomics :D

I'd want to know why it needed a new engine before I'd consider it bangernomics..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

166man wrote: »
    I'd want to know why it needed a new engine before I'd consider it bangernomics..;)
    Maybe the previous engine was diesel? :eek: Wouldn't bother me, as long as the replacement engine was noted in the registration cert.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Maybe the previous engine was diesel? :eek: Wouldn't bother me, as long as the replacement engine was noted in the registration cert.

I'd be wondering what caused it that needed it to be changed? If all checked out then it's a very good car for bangernomics money, my main point being I'd wonder why the engine was changed is all. :)

I'd be wondering what caused it that needed it to be changed?.... my main point being I'd wonder why the engine was changed is all. :)
    Why would it bother you though? The replacement engine is only installed two weeks, so a no-maintenance owner couldn't have wrecked it yet.

Edit: Although it is a bit suspicious selling a car at such a low price that has just had the engine changed....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd be wondering what caused it that needed it to be changed? If all checked out then it's a very good car for bangernomics money, my main point being I'd wonder why the engine was changed is all. :)

he spent the oil change money on them sporty italic font number plates :P guarenteed +25bhp but you'l blow your engine if you're not careful.

• Advertisement

Why would it bother you though? The replacement engine is only installed two weeks, so a no-maintenance owner couldn't have wrecked it yet.

Edit: Although it is a bit suspicious selling a car at such a low price that has just had the engine changed....

Well for example if the owner skrimped on maintenance of the engine causing it to blow maybe he skipped over other maintenance with the car not just the engine.

The whole ad seems a bit fishy to me anyhow.

Well for example if the owner skrimped on maintenance of the engine causing it to blow maybe he skipped over other maintenance with the car not just the engine.

The whole ad seems a bit fishy to me anyhow.
    A good point.

Not your ornery onager

I couldn't give less if a sh1t what happened the old one once the engine in the car was sound and all paperwork in order.
    What reason can you think of would make that car not bangernomics? It's not like it needs a turbo or anything ;) any car needs to be inspected so the skimping on maintenance doesn't apply, that's a concern with any car.

Not even remotely financially feasible to replace a diesel engine with a petrol in a modern car like that, 1000 to 1 chance and that's being conservative imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Prototype Octavia

Full-14712920.jpeg

Old school diesel with a little bit of test and a little bit more tax and the original big boot and change from a monkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I always thought those old Toledo's were a 4 door saloon.
    Looks like a decent car for 500 quid.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Old school diesel with a little bit of test and a little bit more tax and the original big boot and change from a monkey!

... a hint of alfa 155 about them, the Toledo lasts longer though :pac:

I couldn't give less if a sh1t what happened the old one once the engine in the car was sound and all paperwork in order.
    What reason can you think of would make that car not bangernomics? It's not like it needs a turbo or anything ;) any car needs to be inspected so the skimping on maintenance doesn't apply, that's a concern with any car.

That's good for you that it doesn't bother you. Different strokes for different folks eh? I'd still be asking and finding out why the engine needed to be changed. :)

... a hint of alfa 155 about them, the Toledo lasts longer though :pac:

I don't know, I've seen a 155 in the flesh recently but I haven't seen a mk1 Toledo in years, its rarity was part of the reason it caught my eye. Think the Toledo is a year or two older too, so was the first Alfa/seat copycatting by alfa?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't know, I've seen a 155 in the flesh recently but I haven't seen a mk1 Toledo in years, its rarity was part of the reason it caught my eye. Think the Toledo is a year or two older too, so was the first Alfa/seat copycatting by alfa?

Walter deSilva was Alfa's style guru before he went to Seat so no prizes for who copied who in that equation.

bladespin wrote: »
    Walter deSilva was Alfa's style guru before he went to Seat so no prizes for who copied who in that equation.

He was with Alfa until 1999 and his first Seat influences were on cars launched in the '00s. The mk I Toledo was launched before the 155, which incidentally was designed by an external design house rather than the Alfa Romeo Centro Stile.
    So neither car was designed by Walter De Silva and chronologically the Toledo was launched first, so it would be kind of ironic if the Toledo did indeed influence the 155 given what we all know came later.
    Just as well you weren't after giving out any prizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Full-14586826.jpeg
    almost a years NCT and looks quite ok, no mention of mileage though

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    Full-14586826.jpeg
    almost a years NCT and looks quite ok, no mention of mileage though

Mileage is not all that important at that age and price, looks in good nick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Mileage is not all that important at that age and price, looks in good nick.

I don't agree, i'd say its got 150k on it, and needs a t belt, so then it's probably only worth 400 snots.. nct or no nct.:p

there's better buys out there......

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

That's good for you that it doesn't bother you. Different strokes for different folks eh? I'd still be asking and finding out why the engine needed to be changed. :)

from researching for our mondeo, I recall that the early engines which i believe were shared with the early 6 models, used a brittle plastic butterfly valve which broke down in the engine along with their respective pivot pin. This causes engine rattle which could be a sign of impending doom. Oh and they love oil!

So two possible reasons for a new engine

But I am open to others opinions

• Advertisement

I'm digging this too....Low milage 156 .......need a screen but thats what insurance is for ehhhhh....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3726023

Full-13413513.jpeg

MidlandsM wrote: »
    I'm digging this too....Low milage 156 .......need a screen but thats what insurance is for ehhhhh....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3726023

Full-13413513.jpeg

At 74k miles I'd say it needs the timing belt done on it about €400 to do it. I really like that Volvo above though, great find.

At 74k miles I'd say it needs the timing belt done on it about €400 to do it..........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77988763&postcount=2150
    Jeez you really love your belt history don't you RJ? ...................

:pac:
    You're right it is a decent point to make, it's just you make it at least once a week at this stage... Doesn't need to be made every time an Alfa comes up for sale. At the amount I drive and others too 36k miles is quite a bit you know...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

At 74k miles I'd say it needs the timing belt done on it about €400 to do it. I really like that Volvo above though, great find.

Wow, that sounds very expensive for a ralatively straightforward change. :eek:

bladespin wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds very expensive for a ralatively straightforward change. :eek:

I should have mentioned that €400 includes the water pump, variator labour and VAT. :)

Maybe you're jealous that you didn't get to mention it this time.. At least it was worth mentioning as 72-74k miles it should be due a change. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Imagine what the price tag would of been if he had posted that yesterday with no nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Service History
    Tested
    Leather
    Auto

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4006360

View2-14754845.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Serviced
    Tested 1 year
    Diesel

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3971014