Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4038420

Honda Accord €100...has to be worth more in scrap! ...real ad?

View2-14918772.jpeg

1998 Nissan Primera - No NCT / Tax - €300

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4030954

Worth a punt at this money...worth case scenario its worth at least €150 scrap ;)

...timing chain and generally bulletproof motoring.81000 claimed miles it'll easily do 3 times that as long as basic servicing is sorted

Full?id=14880134

2000 Nissan Primera - NCT 01/13 - €550

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4026186

Needs a CV joint

View2-14853442.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4038420

Honda Accord €100...has to be worth more in scrap! ...real ad?

View2-14918772.jpeg
    Has to be a joke ad, worth more in scrap & tax rebate.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Has to be a joke ad, worth more in scrap & tax rebate.

was thinking the same...not sure I picked up an MR2 for €200 recently with head gasket failure..in generally good nick..panels all straight...I was goign to take it for parts but my mate reckons he can get here going....we'll see :pac:

The guy I was buying it off, offered it to the mr2 lads for scrap value he was offered...so there is good deals out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Well it's sold and not to me!
    I did ring about it, sounded like it needed a new starter motor, which despite what the ad said is around €700 for upgraded motor and battery.

But service history was sketchy at best, he was selling it for his "aunt".
    I was thinking if a compression test checked it would be worth a slight punt as a weekend car.

Ah well!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

cadaliac wrote: »
    unkel wrote: »
    Motor tax €1,683, insurance cheap, maintenance cheap (get a well sorted car and there is no maintenance except your annual service), petrol 15-30MPG (depends on your driving style / commute / etc.)

or €1900 per year for TAX if you pay every three months, (@€;475) which is more than likely, when dealing with a bangernomics car.

So in your first year of ownership, you pay an extra 90% of the value of the car, provided he let you off the €150 on top of the purchase price ....:confused:

Fcuking country....:rolleyes:

Lets be honest though, it's that cheap because of the tax system. If the tax system changed to make these cars affordable prices would go up.
    Agreed, just making the point, and as said, I would also drive it until it was lifted too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Wouldn't touch it. Looks wrecked.

If you just want 4 doors, then there's plenty of good cars that don't have BMW badge out there that will be 50 times better and not much more cash. I'm thinking mazda 626/323 kinda cars here.

But that! Not a chance, it'll need jobs doing, and it looks a heap. Avoid.
    Fairy 'nough. :(

I think it would be worth a punt to run it into the ground. But alas.

I think I'll give this 'angernomics a miss for a while. God loves a trier but I think it would make sense to stop while I'm ahead. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

barura wrote: »
    Fairy 'nough. :(

I think it would be worth a punt to run it into the ground. But alas.

I think I'll give this 'angernomics a miss for a while. God loves a trier but I think it would make sense to stop while I'm ahead. :o

Didn't mean to put you down man, was just saying:)

I'm all for buying something cheap and just running it until it dies, but there's so much better out there for peanuts!

Didn't mean to put you down man, was just saying:)

I'm all for buying something cheap and just running it until it dies, but there's so much better out there for peanuts!
    I think it's more of a vendetta I have with that car to be honest. Brother had one, didn't service it for 30k miles and it still didn't die. I just want to see what his fuss was about and that one fit the bill. Plus getting used to a saloon after a hatchback for so long... would like to keep it cheap. If it came to 400 for the car (haggling a bit) and then 3 months tax on top of that... Sell it off for 350 when tax is out and you've barely made a loss!

Hypothetically, of course. Like I said previously, I don't have money to change my car really. :P

My car wasnt serviced in 30k miles when I bought it, still hasn't died :)

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    My car wasnt serviced in 30k miles when I bought it, still hasn't died :)
    I don't doubt that, but my brother trashed the **** outta his one. Straight onto the motorway from a cold start... Cooked the engine a few times as well. Radiator and gasket were leaking... But still it went on and on. Amazed to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

speaking of running it until it dies... I love these model lagunas. I had to help my Dad track down a gearbox for one a few years ago and they are very tricky to find(seems to be a weak area with these models).

1.6 petrol with a NCT until may 2013. 450 euro
    Full-14706926.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3996537

02 model Laguna NCT till Jan 2013 for 600
    Full-14421312.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3924169

• Registered Users Posts: 65,427 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

barura wrote: »
    my brother trashed the **** outta his one. Straight onto the motorway from a cold start

Straight onto the motorway from a cold start is actually the gentlest way to handle your engine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

This looks the biz. nct march 2013 for 450. Insurance would be too much for a young nipper like me though:rolleyes: put up 3hours ago. Doubt it will last too long.
    Full-14918127.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4038264

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

NCT till August, 1200

Needs wishbones (simple and cheap to do :))
    Full-14918786.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Great .........406's and Laguna's galore to start of the bangernomic week ........ughhhhhhh

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Great .........406's and Laguna's galore to start of the bangernomic week ........ughhhhhhh

Posted up from a laptop sitting in a 406 :pac::pac::pac:

728 bm .....be a tad wary as why he does'nt put her in for an early nct (eligible).

Still, looks straight..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3787356

View2-13710713.jpeg

I'll see your 728 and raise you a 735
    NCT till Jan 14, 1050
    Full-14190446.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

1.7 x car's value in tax every year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

rocky wrote: »
    1.7 x car's value in tax every year :(
    Or just bring it out for the summer and its only 90% of the value :pac:

dgt wrote: »
    I'll see your 728 and raise you a 735
    NCT till Jan 14, 1050
    Full-14190446.jpeg

ohhh, nice dgt, cheaper and a freshly dated nct.........you win!:p

MidlandsM wrote: »
    ohhh, nice dgt, cheaper and a freshly dated nct.........you win!:p

Kermitpwee won 3 days ago when he posted that car (#5301) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Think I'll be paying an even closer eye on this over the next few weeks. The Corolla's at the point where it needs so much done (timing belt, cam shaft seal, clutch on the way out, front suspension knocking in a bad way) that it'll be as cheap to buy something new... She owes me nothing, outside of oil-changes and petrol, the car has cost me a grand total of €600 and I've gotten over 35,000 miles out of her: boring motor but perfect economy wise.

Tax and economy rule out the luxobarges for me... ideal would be a decent Saab 93 but for cheap running costs I'm thinking something like the MG or Chevrolet posted recently might be a better bet. Max to spend would be about €1,500 and I'd be looking to get a couple of years out of whatever I buy.

If ya know of anything suitable, please let me know!

Kermitpwee won 3 days ago when he posted that car (#5301) ;)

Bumped ad! Back to the drawing board I go...

Straight onto the motorway from a cold start is actually the gentlest way to handle your engine :)
    How so? I thought you should let it warm up before opening it up? Then again, I'm starting to notice I don't know so much recently.

High gear low rpms warms up the engine the quickest. 2k rpm in 6th gear on the motorway is just about ideal :)

Even more important in wintertime: never let the car idle in the drive, but do start and drive off straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think going diesel takes some of the sting out of bangernomics:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4038100
    View2-14917449.jpeg

Loads of Tax and test, price a little high perhaps, but nice simple engine that should be good for miles.

4.5 months of tax takes the sting out of buying that alright!

Engine is very reliable old skool diesel

Out of interest, if you'd get an average 25MPG out of a similar size manual 2l petrol engined car, how much would you get out of that autobox diesel? I believe they are a 5-speed box, so shouldn't be much worse than a manual anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3782805 dont know can this be counted as bangernomics but need it gone asap,as got another car and there isn't enough space for 4 cars.Road tax is bought for another 3 months till December end,also it has got cd/mp3 radio,no hidden agendas engine is 100% and inside is clean as new as mother uses the car.So if anyone is looking for reliable car to get around and cheap tax insurance,give me a shout,just please cash and close to asking offers,thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement