Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

unkel wrote: »
    That one is not in your top 21,400 of best arguments on boards ;)

It was a genuine point not an argument.

You'd struggle to get one for €400.

Plenty of the yokes you described as bangers about though and similarly to your Saab over 12 months the maintenance cost would be potentially very small, much like a Micra :)
    mickey mac wrote: »
    Yea! that showed him.

Excellent contribution, I wasn't actually trying to show anything, merely requesting an ole example of a €400 micra with full test.

166man wrote: »
    A lad I play GAA with recently sold his white Nissan March with a fresh NCT for €500 so they are out there. ;)

that'd be 25% over budget ;)
    so that one your GAA buddy sold isn't a qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

unkel wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from, but I can't at all agree :)

If you really, really need a car and the money is very, very tight, you should get a €400 Micra 1l with full test. Not a 1.3 / 1.5 banger that will cost a lot more than said Micra in everything (tax, petrol, insurance, maintenance, etc.) to run

If you have a bit more per month to spend and a few hundred more up front, skip the in between banger and go for a d-segment car like the Mazda 6 in your link. These cars are relatively the best value for money in the Irish market

On other news: I've my Saab 9-5 a year this week :)

Cost: €1,350 (I'd get pretty much all of that back today if I were to sell it)
    NCT + retest: €83
    4 wheel laser alignment / tracking: €40
    Battery: €85
    Battery for remote central locking key: €2
    New return valve for cooling system + labour + coolant fill: €65
    Fully synthetic oil + filter for oil service: €40
    Oil filler cap with integrated dip stick (scrap yard): €5

Total fixed cost for the year (excluding fuel, tax, insurance): €320 or €27 per month :)
    While the micra etc. might be the cheapest option for motoring, a couple of points on this:

They're simply not big enough for most people with a family.
    Including tax would treble your figures.
    A 9-5 or equivalent is typically going to give a lower MPG than a 1.3/1.4 compact (there are obviously exceptions).
    Even oil changes / filters are going to going to cost more for a larger engine.

While for many who can afford the extra to drive something that's both a nice car and cheap to run offers better value, for some of us at the moment, the aim is something that's big enough to do the job we need it to do whilst being as cheap as possible.

I'd suggest there's room in this thread for the €400 Micra, the €700 Civic, the €1350 9-5 and the 2k 7 Series.

Value is relative to one's circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

RoverJames wrote: »
    that'd be 25% over budget ;)
    so that one your GAA buddy sold isn't a qualifier.

Percentages don't come into it when talking bangernomic cars, ie sub €1k cars as some advertised for €800 can be gotten for €500 or what have you.

I'm sure he'd have been willing to negotiate but took the first offer of €500 that came through.

You're making yourself look silly here. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4190447

dont know if this was already posted, but it looks like a fine car for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lads, its bangeromics - once the coolest thread on motors. It's not place for mickey waving and bickering

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Super hoop wrote: »
    Thinkin of buying a Honda stream.anyone got any pointers on em? 1.7 petrol model. Cheers in advance

Friend of mine has a Jap one, parts are very hard to get and are very expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The guy selling this really needs to brush up on his spelling and aguably his photography skills also but were here to discuss bargain cars;)

Considering they are a bread and butter everyday car Ive always likes the low slung shape of them

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4224894

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Living room arm chairs to sit in, comfy as a bed of cotton wool and more space than a 1 bed appartment in Dublin Docklands. Oh and leather ,climate and all that jazz too. Fresh test at the asking or haggle a few quid off and take your chances ....

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=860861&r=s.php%3Fd%3D1%26e%3D2000%26g%3D4

860861-m6912325.jpg

Tidy Prelude. Dull but bombproof and it'll never be worth much less than this.

http://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=795952&r=s.php%3Fd%3D1%26e%3D2000%26g%3D12

795952-m6754027.jpg

• Advertisement

Another dullard here but if the 48k is genuine then this really is family bangernomics.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4167744

View2-15569820.jpeg

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Another dullard here but if the 48k is genuine then this really is family bangernomics. .......

Indeed, feeble enough engine but far better (as in little chance of serious issues) than the 1.4 that came in the Mk4s, no ARB on the 1.4 Mk3 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

NCTtill July, 1850

Might be a little pricey...
    Full-15638525.jpeg

NCT till March, 1550

Taxed till March too :)
    Full-15845237.jpeg

NCT till March, 750

Full-14183609.jpeg

NCT till Jan 2014, 1150

Full?id=15847345

NCT till May, 850

Full-15736498.jpeg

NCT till April, 900

Comes with spare cats :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    Full-15844405.jpeg

NCT till March, 850

With some shonkadelic photos it would be an insult to put one up!

How freekin cool is this .....

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/3480711

View2-12254595.jpeg

Yeah I know, not exactly family transport. Good on juice though :D

Camper? :p

dgt wrote: »
    Camper? :p

You gotta go in there on DD sometime. Odd stuff turns up ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do you actually buy any of theses cars?

Yes, when I have the room and spare cash :p

Lots of them. Infact I've spent my life doing it. Once I got a Peugeot 205 diesel for nothing, used it for a year then sold it for 300 quid. It's great fun. I've owned everything from a fiat cinquencento to an S Class. All bangers of course .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Great. I have just got a 2000 xsara for €400 myself. Hardly a banger though.

• Advertisement

Great. I have just got a 2000 xsara for €400 myself. Hardly a banger though.

Can't go wrong. 400 quid for an entire legal car or one months payment on a year old golf. For me its a no brainer. That and the fact that I'm just an extension of the seven year old that I once was , the Seven year old who loved to play cars except now its for real. I can't afford an expensive car anyway but oddly enough , what ever I'm driving tends to be the envy of a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Can't go wrong. 400 quid for an entire legal car or one months payment on a year old golf. For me its a no brainer. That and the fact that I'm just an extension of the seven year old that I once was , the Seven year old who loved to play cars except now its for real. I can't afford an expensive car anyway but oddly enough , what ever I'm driving tends to be the envy of a lot of people.

amen to this...I've never owed a penny to any financial instituation for my quite few car purchases...although I've had quite a sheltered life but the MR2 is coming close to my first 10,000 miles mark :) ...and loving every minute of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Going looking at a Mk2 Mondy diesel tomorrow. Drive a 02 Celica at the moment. Other aquisitions include a Mk1 Mondy 1.6 and MB 190e 2.6.

Italian Stalion for small money. Owner says that the expensive bills are already dealt with. Short test, the fact that the ad is up over a month and mixtures of red paint would suggest an extensive inspection is needed. Still if its a good one and it came home for 7 or 800 quid, well you cant go wrong.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4106606

View2-15269972.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

1.6 Carina with test for 450e clams .
    Full-14833725.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4022544

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Not going to lose on this bus.
    Boring. No test. Full service history. 1 owner. T/B done. Well looked after.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4227448

View2-15859994.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Worth a look maybe.
    Not sure about the milage claim.
    Bot of tax & test.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4225849

View2-15851875.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lads the Jag is long gone and I've a company van now so... I need a petrol car.

Now, has to be a saloon. Preferably silver. And metallic.

Budget is a max of 2 grand, I'd like to be able to buy and drive and sell for as little depreciation as possible.

2.0 preferably, might go to a 2.5.

2.5 is a stretch, ie . I won't be stretching to a 3.0 litre.

Wouldn't be opposed to a facelift 156 2.0, with leather etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Lads the Jag is long gone and I've a company van now so... I need a petrol car.

Now, has to be a saloon. Preferably silver. And metallic.

Budget is a max of 2 grand, I'd like to be able to buy and drive and sell for as little depreciation as possible.

2.0 preferably, might go to a 2.5.

2.5 is a stretch, ie . I won't be stretching to a 3.0 litre.

Wouldn't be opposed to a facelift 156 2.0, with leather etc.

Saab 9-5? You could get a fairly nice one for 2 grand

• Advertisement

Now, has to be a saloon. Preferably silver. And metallic. ....Check (well almost)

Budget is a max of 2 grand, I'd like to be able to buy and drive and sell for as little depreciation as possible. .....Check

2.0 preferably, might go to a 2.5......Check

Wouldn't be opposed to a facelift 156 2.0, with leather etc ...Eh... Check (Kinda)

I give you ......

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4150729

View2-15735976.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement