Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

166man wrote: »

If I wanted something comfy and economical for circa €2k Id have the Volvo over the Nissan any day of the week.

Once again me being a petrol head is irrelevant as I'm not the one buying, having said that twice now. ;)
    That Volvo is a class or two down from the maxima and cannot compete with it for comfort or refinement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Wonderful little cars that never break. Not terribly fast or economical though. Sister has a 96 one, and I adore driving it:

View2-17675112.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    That Volvo is a class or two down from the maxima and cannot compete with it for comfort or refinement.

Volvos are renowned for their comfort, I'm sure it would be adequate enough. Add in the relatively fresh NCT and economical engine and it looks good enough for me.

Volvos are renowned for their comfort, I'm sure it would be adequate enough. Add in the relatively fresh NCT and economical engine and it looks good enough for me.
    Maybe the bigger proper volvos are comfortable. But I have driven a few of those volvos and I found them far from comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pretty sweet, just a matter of the mileage almost 200K
    No mention of timing belt or NCT.
    Taxed until May.

1500 euro, Galway
    Alfa Romeo 156 1.9 JTD 140 LUS (2004)

media?xwm=y&id=e7ee0c2f-6513-4f33-bb17-61cf53101163&width=400&height=300

http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Alfa-Romeo/156/1.9-JTD/34213602498519240/

.........Add in the relatively fresh NCT and economical engine and it looks good enough for me.

I've said it countless times, the gnomes love the fresh NCT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RoverJames wrote: »

You have, but if you want to buy a cheap car and drive it till the test expires, suspecting that it may not pass another nct without actually maintaining the car, then loads of nct is a great thing.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You have, but if you want to buy a cheap car ..........

Most definitely, but to some a fresh NCT makes a cheap car worth the guts of €2250 :)

• Advertisement

2000 Alfa 156 estate 1.8 with NCT until August 2013 for €700
    View2-17433360.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4550505

1998 Merc C180 with 69k miles and NCT September 2013 for €900
    View2?id=17685570
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4600962

I'm going to pop down to Wexford Friday or Saturday and have a look at the Alfa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Most definitely, but to some a fresh NCT makes a cheap car worth the guts of €2250 :)

To all of us who use the bangernomics thread the NCT is the only real way of determining whether or not the car is a total heap or is relatively straight. €2250 for that Volvo is cheap regardless of NCT btw. ;)

The NCT is one of the cheapest comprehensive test's you can get anywhere. A car that passes it clearly isn't a ball of crap.

Also that Maxima can be NCT'd at the moment, I'd wonder why it hasn't seeing as the NCT would add much more value to it. It's probably fecked that's why. :)

A car that passes it clearly isn't a ball of crap.

PresidentMiriam.jpg

+

3309216.jpg

+

car_ashtray_01.jpg

=

12 month's NCT

Toyota-Carina-E.jpg

To all of us who use the bangernomics thread the NCT is the only real way of determining whether or not the car is a total heap or is relatively straight. €2250 for that Volvo is cheap regardless of NCT btw. ;)

The NCT is one of the cheapest comprehensive test's you can get anywhere. A car that passes it clearly isn't a ball of crap.

Also that Maxima can be NCT'd at the moment, I'd wonder why it hasn't seeing as the NCT would add much more value to it. It's probably fecked that's why. :)
    I have to disagree. I've seen plenty of rough cars with a fresh NCT with some just scraping through the test. Would you call these cars good? or would you rather a fresher cleaner car with less of an/or no NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

To all of us who use the bangernomics thread the NCT is the only real way of determining whether or not the car is a total heap or is relatively straight.€2250 for that Volvo is cheap regardless of NCT btw. ;)

There has been plenty of Volvos posted here for less money with NCT:confused:

Plenty of heaps pass the test every day, are you suggesting the Volvo is worth 2250 regardless of nct?

bangeromics, lads. If ye want to have a chat or have a mickey waving contest, this isn't really the place.

have a mickey waving contest,

MickeyWaves.gif

I'm sorry I just couldn't resist :o:o:o:o

As an apology please find attached a link to a V40 for €1500 with NCT until 4/14

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4593664

ba_barabus wrote: »
    As an apology please find attached a link to a V40 for €1500 with NCT until 4/14

Long wave 252, who listens to that these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Danny...:D

People trying to relive the 90's pill popping fun?

Atlantic 252 is long gone :D

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Atlantic 252 is long gone :D

I have happy memories of listening to it while drawing silage in a Zetor Crystal back in 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I've always wanted a Maxima, I just wish they were RWD though.
    166man, you ever been in one? It like a couch. Not mad fast but more of a surge forward.
    About 25mpg which ain't too bad but not economical in the least.

I'd still buy it over the Volvo but well, there's a lot of favouritism going along with that.

I have happy memories of listening to it while drawing silage in a Zetor Crystal back in 1995
    Same here. It's a pity the reception was so sh1te though.

2001 Alfa 156 1.8 with 90k and leather, NCT untli 2014 and tax until March for €950
    View2-17691315.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4379925

No nct, but looks clean. Tyres are cheap too.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4603597

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

166 mans v40 is diesel , bit of a difference

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    166 mans v40 is diesel , bit of a difference
    I never made the comparison

Tbh €750 difference would put a lot of petrol in the tank of a bangernomics motor though or even pay 12 months motor tax and full half a tank

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement