Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Zcott wrote: »
    Second thing is the rear suspension on those is prone to failing. It's some sort of bizarre setup only Citroen use

It's more comfortable than any suspension Rolls-Royce could come up with themselves, that's why they paid Citroen to use their system ;)

So bizarre, that when a wheel falls off, the car remains driveable ;)

Seriously, the C5 with the hydractive suspension is more comfortable on a bad road than any other car. If my commute was long and bad, I'd consider one myself...

fl4pj4ck wrote: »

Quite a reliable set-up to be fair :)
    Spheres are not too expensive either should they be required.

2.0HDi C5 in decent condition would be hard to beat imo for a 160 mile/day user for bangernomics money.

I'd consider a 607 too though, unloved so very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

166man wrote: »
    dgt just died a little inside at the thought of Peugeot 406 and ''TDI'' being put together as one..

Now if it was 406 M-TDI.... That's forgiveable :pac::pac:

NCT till Sept, 1150

Full-17959106.jpeg

NCT till Aug, 950

Full-18039416.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd consider a 607 too though, unloved so very cheap.
    No magic carpet ride, though. :pac:

Will we ever see this (wikipedia pic) C5 ? And when will it become a banger? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 16 g7sxb

"First thing that would concern me is that it's a Citroen..."

I can go with that.

"Are you dead set on a C5?"

Not dead set on a C5 though I'm looking at the bigger diesels 1.8L to 2.0L just for the sheer hammer it's going to receive on a daily basis
    and something that's capable of 50+ mpg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

unkel wrote: »
    My last Nissan was a P10 Primera 1.6SLX hatchback. I still see it around sometimes :)

I've no interest in any newer Nissans except one, and that one will never be bangernomics money :D
    i have one, it cost a little over 400, with six months test, no tax, it gave some grief after buying, but i came across a foregin national who fixed it for seventy lids, three irish guys had not got a clue what was wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Probably be nothing but trouble, but I think it looks (aesthetically) amazing for €950

893825-m7324216.jpg

NCT is out, but I guess you could insist they put it through one.

Here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Probably be nothing but trouble, but I think it looks (aesthetically) amazing for €950

893825-m7324216.jpg

NCT is out, but I guess you could insist they put it through one.

Here

You'd get one with nicer wheels and a valid NCT for about that money if you look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

You'd get one with nicer wheels and a valid NCT for about that money if you look around.

What would the typical problems be with those 156's...I know they have a terrible reputation, but was thinking if it was stuff relatively easy to do yourself then one of these with an NCT, recent Timing belt & sub 1k would be a good buy. They are just so good looking!

(figured with your username you'd have an idea)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Suspension problems can end up being a financial write off from what I've read on here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

jamesdiver wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/vintagecars/4516027

Thats my crx. how random that i came across it mentioned here. Blastman, are you on cr-x.org? I also noticed you put up photos here on boards 7 years ago at the phoenix park meet. I was'nt at that one myself that year but I think i was on cr-x number 2 at that stage :)

Lovely Cr-x you have there. So tempted by it!

CianRyan wrote: »
    Suspension problems can end up being a financial write off from what I've read on here.

To be fair loads of sub €1000 cars are a financial write off if they need a set of tyres and a service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

RoverJames wrote: »
    To be fair loads of sub €1000 cars are a financial write off if they need a set of tyres and a service :)

Yeah, can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not if you know what you're doing (or someone who does ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

jamesdiver wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/vintagecars/4516027

Thats my crx. how random that i came across it mentioned here. Blastman, are you on cr-x.org? I also noticed you put up photos here on boards 7 years ago at the phoenix park meet. I was'nt at that one myself that year but I think i was on cr-x number 2 at that stage :)

Could be.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BenGraham

Reliable, cheap and plenty of test

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4384719

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

BenGraham wrote: »
    Reliable, cheap and plenty of test

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4384719

Warning : you may die before this car does

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

00833827 wrote: »
    Warning : you WILL die before this car does

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jharr100

00833827 wrote: »
    Warning : you may die before this car does

Sold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What would the typical problems be with those 156's...I know they have a terrible reputation, but was thinking if it was stuff relatively easy to do yourself then one of these with an NCT, recent Timing belt & sub 1k would be a good buy. They are just so good looking!

(figured with your username you'd have an idea)

Cheers

Suspension - Front end bushings and top mounts are a common fault. Can tell them gone by squeeking and noises over ramps. Take a decent test drive to find out. They are cheap enough to replace however. €50 for the part online for example. Rear links can often go too.

Timing Belt + Waterpump. Needs to be done every 3 years or 36k miles. Other reputable sources say they are good for 48k miles. Don't accept tip ex on the belt casing as proof they have been done. Receipt evidence is necessary. If unsure when it was last done, decide on how long you are keeping the car and then decide to replace or not. Budget €400 to do the job.

Spark Plugs - Need to be done at 60k miles and each subsequent 60k miles thereafter. Cost to buy the parts is about €100 online.

Alignment - A minor detail that costs €50 to get done but when the top wishbones go the tracking is usually placed out of alignment so this may need to be done also. Check if the car is pulling to the right or left.

If when you start the car and hear a diesel like rattle it would be the variator. These should be replaced alongside the timing belt. I had mine replaced recently and the noise is still there. I don't notice it so don't panic.

Oil Consumption - Alfa twin sparks are known to enjoy their fair share of oil. Keep an eye on it every few weeks to be sure.

To be honest there's not much more I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously check the usual things like the wings for panel damage etc and all electrics etc.

Other than that, best of luck. They are a beauty to drive. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I didn't realise these were going this cheap, saw one for less earlier. A lot of car, probably cost more to keep it going though

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4680110

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I didn't realise these were going this cheap, saw one for less earlier. A lot of car, probably cost more to keep it going though

cheap because its got no test, tax, rust (they all have) and dents ...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Clean looking Saab 9-5
    Low miles (sub 100k)
    A Years NCT
    €1500
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4658339
    Munster.

Edit: some tax too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

cadaliac wrote: »
    Clean looking Saab 9-5
    Low miles (sub 100k)
    A Years NCT
    €1500
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4658339
    Munster.

Edit: some tax too
    I know this car from a test drive. Gave it a miss because FSH wasn't stamped and I didn't like the look of the oil - but I'm a really really fussy buyer.
    Besides some small things, a button inside and the shark tail was broken, it was a clean car. Generally it looked like a pretty decent car for the money. Inside was spotless.

It's also available on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/saab/95/2003-saab-95-for-sale/2119879

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Suspension - Front end bushings and top mounts are a common fault. Can tell them gone by squeeking and noises over ramps. Take a decent test drive to find out. They are cheap enough to replace however. €50 for the part online for example. Rear links can often go too.

Timing Belt + Waterpump. Needs to be done every 3 years or 36k miles. Other reputable sources say they are good for 48k miles. Don't accept tip ex on the belt casing as proof they have been done. Receipt evidence is necessary. If unsure when it was last done, decide on how long you are keeping the car and then decide to replace or not. Budget €400 to do the job.

Spark Plugs - Need to be done at 60k miles and each subsequent 60k miles thereafter. Cost to buy the parts is about €100 online.

Alignment - A minor detail that costs €50 to get done but when the top wishbones go the tracking is usually placed out of alignment so this may need to be done also. Check if the car is pulling to the right or left.

If when you start the car and hear a diesel like rattle it would be the variator. These should be replaced alongside the timing belt. I had mine replaced recently and the noise is still there. I don't notice it so don't panic.

Oil Consumption - Alfa twin sparks are known to enjoy their fair share of oil. Keep an eye on it every few weeks to be sure.

To be honest there's not much more I can think of off the top of my head. Obviously check the usual things like the wings for panel damage etc and all electrics etc.

Other than that, best of luck. They are a beauty to drive. :)

Thats great, thanks.

I used to have a 3 series bmw, so find it surprising when cars don't need suspension parts every weekend!

I always had an itch for an alfa, think I might go have a look at a couple over the weekend.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Huge clock but then again they go the distance. Lots of life left in this one if it has been looked after up to now.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4686859

View2-18118157.jpeg

• Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭Cash is king

I wouldn't go near one tbh they are a heap of trouble. If you want a barge go for a GS or LS Lexus!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 166 ✭✭Cash is king

Saab Ed wrote: »

Matt never heard of a Hoover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement